Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMR files for Chapter 11 protection, will UCH follow? (Consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Well, we do need one of these threads for everything AA does, right??

On a slightly more serious (and relevant) note, I don't think that this actually will have any material effect on UA's operations, though it will be interesting to see just how much UA attacks during the re-org period. Then again, the AA effort is focused almost exclusively on breaking the unions and UA seems to have enough trouble on that front these days so maybe not so much of a need to try to press the issue.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
UA enjoyed an unnatural cost basis advantage for years as it languished in bankruptcy. Now it's AA's turn.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
Well, we do need one of these threads for everything AA does, right??
Please don't give any ideas . Now the DEQM thread will run rampant given this news as some will speculate AA will do it and how soon will UA follow....
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
UA enjoyed an unnatural cost basis advantage for years as it languished in bankruptcy. Now it's AA's turn.
That's a bit disingenuous as UA's operating costs are not that much lower than AA's. Non-operating costs are lower, but that doesn't really explain the sharp difference in operating income over recent quarters.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Influx of AA Elites due to the AMR bankruptcy?

So, will there be an influx of AA Elites over to MP due to the AMR bankruptcy?

My guess is that some of the AA Elites will be hedging their bets and will be asking UACO for status match. The MP status match desk will be busy in the new year.

But most AA flyers will just carry on as usual, IMO. Let's hope so as we don't need any more competition for our upgrades.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Amex, CX MPC, IHG PC, LX M&M
They're just filing for protection so I wouldn't expect too many AA members to start status matching...it is business as usual!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
So, will there be an influx of AA Elites over to MP due to the AMR bankruptcy?

My guess is that some of the AA Elites will be hedging their bets and will be asking UACO for status match. The MP status match desk will be busy in the new year.

But most AA flyers will just carry on as usual, IMO. Let's hope so as we don't need any more competition for our upgrades.
Why do you think that?
Ch. 11 allows for court protection during restructuring.
Normal operations continue for AMR.
AAdvantage is not affected. In fact, it's one of AMR's biggest money makers.
There may be some changes down the line when AMR emerges from Chapter 11.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Finally they joined the club. Of all the major legacy carriers, AA was the only one that hadn't previously filed for bankruptcy protection.

I think it's:
UA (1)
US (2)
DL (1)
CO (2)
and now AA (1)
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
AA is not going anywhere.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
On balance, I would think this would be a good time for AA elites. Bookings will drop because of the uncertainty and I'm sure that AA will counter with all sorts of incentives for travel. The more interesting questions for this board will be, first, whether UA will counter and, second, whether attractive offers by AA will make us defect.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:36 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
On one hand, I'm looking forward to promos UA may run in 2012 to try to grab market share from AA. On the other hand, capacity being where it is right now, I'm not looking forward to a DEQM-driven elite surge...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
AA fares are pretty cheap relative to UA/CO.

I would expect a big uptick in AA rewards redemptions though.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:56 am

We can expect AA to be very aggressive in protecting market share and some extremely nice promos are likely. Big question is whether UA/CO and others will feel compelled to match. Hope so.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
On balance, I would think this would be a good time for AA elites. Bookings will drop because of the uncertainty and I'm sure that AA will counter with all sorts of incentives for travel. The more interesting questions for this board will be, first, whether UA will counter and, second, whether attractive offers by AA will make us defect.
^^ I don't remember a mass defection from UA when they went through bankruptcy.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:49 am
Original Poster

I may be the only one but I'm betting against a huge fire sale. AA isn't going debtor-in-possession on the filing and they do not have a need to generate a large stack of short-term cash; they have a decent balance right now. Beyond that, the advance booking curve in the industry is shrinking anyways so I doubt the perceived uncertainty is going to have a significant effect.

If they start to have troubles with the union negotiations and things start to draw out on that front then maybe things will get ugly, but in the interim I don't see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.