Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: MileagePlus Account Number Update

Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:55 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, as many of you have gathered, some of the changes we’ve announced regarding our 2012 MileagePlus program are tied to our migration to a single technology platform - scheduled for late first quarter of next year.

We’re creating a system for Mileage Plus that supports our expanded membership base and new program features. A frequent question that we receive is: “which account number will be used?” The answer is that the new system will use an eight-character alphanumeric account number, similar to what OnePass uses today. Specifically, here’s what this means:

• If you currently have only a OnePass account, this account number will become your permanent MileagePlus account number after the system conversion. You do not need to do anything.

• If you currently have only a Mileage Plus account, you automatically will receive a new eight-character alphanumeric account number in late first quarter 2012. You do not need to do anything now.

• If you have an account in both programs, you should link your accounts today (if you’ve not already done so). This will ensure that, after the system conversion, your OnePass account number will become your permanent MileagePlus number.
Linking your MileagePlus and OnePass accounts now provides other benefits as well. If one account has a higher status level, then we will match your status in the other account. Additionally, we’ll combine your elite qualifying activity in both accounts. If the combined total places you at a higher elite level, we’ll upgrade your status in both accounts.

Until our system transition is complete, nothing will change about the way you access your account details or use your current account numbers. In mid-January, we will share specifics about how the transition to new account numbers will work, as well as details on your 2012 Premier status. Additionally, the most up to date information is also available on our website.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Thanks for the update!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:01 am

Confirms that rumor and puts that debate to rest!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Thank you for the info Shannon

Pertaining to folks who are already OnePass members----Does this mean that existing reservations we made on United.com and/or continental.com using our Mileage Plus number be automatically converted to the Onepass # when integration takes place?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
OnePass number to stay

according to the update on Facebook, merge accounts and the 8 number/letter Onepass number will stay.

yet once again something CO stays and UA goes...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
MileagePlus number format

From United's Twitter feed just now:

We’re building a new technology system to integrate the MileagePlus & OnePass membership base. We’ll be changing MileagePlus numbers to 8 characters, so we encourage you, to link your MileagePlus & OnePass accounts if you have both, at http://united.com/linkmyaccounts. Current OnePass numbers will continue to work in the new system. Details are at www.mileageplusmergerupdates.com or www.onepassmergerupdates.com.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
There is already a formal announcement by UA Insider.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:32 am

Awesome! I could never learn that long MileagePlus number...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Will be sorry to have my MP number disappear. It was an easy number to memorize.

00010 2xx xxx shows that I have been a member for many years.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Building a new platform could surely accommodate the existing MP account numbers..

But this is COdbaUA. I'm not too surprised.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: United 1K
Thankfully a Change I like... I've had that OP# since the 90's, and always had it memorized, but could never seem to remember my MP#. While my status has always been on United, my first ever flight was on CO. This put a smile on my face today!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
RIP MP number. Looks like we're sticking with the OP numbers. I guess it's just as well, as I accidentally signed up for my United Club membership with my OP number instead of my MP number.

Also, nothing so hard about learning the MP number if you use it enough. It's only 1 digit longer than an area code + phone number.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
How will this affect Mileage Plus Dining? And our Chase cards? And Mileage Plus Shopping? And all of the partner programs that are used to credit (e.g. hotel, car rental)?

Will we have to change how those are mapped? Or will UA continue to monitor our old UA numbers and credit to our OP number? (Maybe notifying us to change the mapping when they see credit to those accounts?)
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
With this change, I will miss being able to enter my MP number by typing it on my phone. Voice recognition software always screws up when there is background noise (like at an airport) so if I need to dial reservations, it doesn't always recognize my number and thus my status. Will definitely miss the ability to just enter my number on the keys since you can't type out letters.

Anyone with more experience dialing to CO, is the voice recognition any better than on the PMUA side or is this something I'm going to have to start worrying about?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
UA would automatically know our number when we called, as long as it was from the number on our profile..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.