Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: MileagePlus Account Number Update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: MileagePlus Account Number Update

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The downside of having to type in an alphanumeric is on phones that don't include the letters on the number keys, like my Blackberry. So when I'm in a noisy place and I want to type in my account number, I'll now have to remember the numbers that correspond to my letters.

Not exactly user friendly.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
The downside of having to type in an alphanumeric is on phones that don't include the letters on the number keys, like my Blackberry. So when I'm in a noisy place and I want to type in my account number, I'll now have to remember the numbers that correspond to my letters.

Not exactly user friendly.
No - you can dial the letters on your BlackBerry keyboard and it will send the corresponding tone. You don't have to remember where the letter would be on a "regular" phone.

Just hold down Alt when typing each letter.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Brasila
Same here....another change I do not like....cannot really think of a change I have liked...guess it is time to get another FF number from another airline...AA here I come.
BD did a change not too long ago and all their members manged to get things updated with the various partners well enough. Yes, there were some hiccups along the way as would be expected with any change of this magnitude. Yet everyone came out the other end just fine.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 17, 2011 at 9:09 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
All of the PMUA employees are going to love me when my OP # survives and they see it.

My CO OnePass number starts with "UA". Nostalgia anyone?

-RM
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:14 am

sigh...no surprise
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
All of the PMUA employees are going to love me when my OP # survives and they see it.

My CO OnePass number starts with "UA". Nostalgia anyone?

-RM

My OP # starts with "WN".
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine is BR (EVA Air)
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by XLR26
My OP # starts with "WN".
+1

Thanks Shannon. Not surprised as COdbaUA continues to make decisions to alienate the MUCH larger PMUA customer base. Smisek made the point clear in his USA Today interview- only branding the airline as United... he thinks he has all the answers. I will be moving more business to WN next year for local, convenient travel... I might stay with UA if things improve. If not, I will move to AA for long haul.

I wonder what is next-no more pillows... oh wait...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by daron4000
With this change, I will miss being able to enter my MP number by typing it on my phone. Voice recognition software always screws up when there is background noise (like at an airport) so if I need to dial reservations, it doesn't always recognize my number and thus my status. Will definitely miss the ability to just enter my number on the keys since you can't type out letters.

Anyone with more experience dialing to CO, is the voice recognition any better than on the PMUA side or is this something I'm going to have to start worrying about?
No, it's not. "JD" is always heard as "KD", and speaking "53" doesn't work either. (Dialing 53 works fine though.)

I will miss my 001004xxxxxx number. I've had it since I was a baby.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 17, 2011 at 9:39 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Brasila
According to a number of posts on FT there was no need to change FF #'s IMHO....it is just another slap in the face to UA flyer's.......
SLAP-SLAP! LOVE-LOVE!

This is getting so rediculous. I mean, really, it's a number. Or do people identifly themselves by a string of digits now? Something was going to have to give. OP numbers and MP numbers are not the same amount of characters in length. But oh no... just more proof that Smisek is ruining an other great airline. Oh the humanity!!!!

Personally I don't care. I've had both accounts for over 20 years now. I'm really not that attached to either. So having one go is not a big deal to me.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 17, 2011 at 9:40 am Reason: language
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
mines KD...Avia Airlines
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Sounds great! I have been having trouble memorizing the UA #!

BTW, there's a thread somewhere about what airline your OP # is, I can't find it right now though.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by star_world
No - you can dial the letters on your BlackBerry keyboard and it will send the corresponding tone. You don't have to remember where the letter would be on a "regular" phone.

Just hold down Alt when typing each letter.
That does not work on the Bold 9700, the phone I have. I've heard reports on a previous thread of a number of other phones that no longer support it either.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Typical for COdbaUA.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Building a new platform could surely accommodate the existing MP account numbers.
And waste millions of dollars with no net positive value from the effort.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
UA would automatically know our number when we called, as long as it was from the number on our profile..
There is no reason this can not still remain as it is tied to the ANI information handed into the call center systems and the numbers being properly associated with the records in the loyalty database. The format of the FFN doesn't affect this.

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
I will be moving more business to WN next year for local, convenient travel... I might stay with UA if things improve. If not, I will move to AA for long haul.
How does a change to the FFN make the airline less convenient?
Originally Posted by Joshua
No, it's not. "JD" is always heard as "KD", and speaking "53" doesn't work either. (Dialing 53 works fine though.)
No surprise that saying 53 doesn't work as that's not the number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.