IAD-EZE being switched to EWR-EZE?

Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by star_world
So the problem is IAD?

If you're flying to EZE, routing through DFW is a huge detour by the way. MIA is much better but that involves transiting MIA
Talk about a poop show. MIA is way worse than EWR, with the exception of winter storms.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Yeah, I guess it depends on where you sit. I appreciate more UA metal, especially widebody aircraft, at EWR.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by star_world
So the problem is IAD?

If you're flying to EZE, routing through DFW is a huge detour by the way. MIA is much better but that involves transiting MIA
If I have to detour through IAH, DFW isn't all that much farther out of the way. And MIA isn't all that bad, as long as you stay in the D terminal. It sure beats the H out of IAD.

All of the alternatives - EWR, IAH, and DFW - suck compared to losing the nonstop. And while I recognize that UA is doing this because they think they can make more $$, it isn't a change IAD flyers are going to like. Why the CO partisans won't at least acknowledge this is a mystery.

Originally Posted by carvalh2
Talk about a poop show. MIA is way worse than EWR, with the exception of winter storms.
Have you even been in the MIA D terminal? Do you really believe it makes more sense to fly IAD-EWR-EZE (backtracking, UAX) than DCA-MIA-EZE (no backtracking, no Instrument of the Devil)?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by halls120
If I have to detour through IAH, DFW isn't all that much farther out of the way. And MIA isn't all that bad, as long as you stay in the D terminal. It sure beats the H out of IAD.

All of the alternatives - EWR, IAH, and DFW - suck compared to losing the nonstop. And while I recognize that UA is doing this because they think they can make more $$, it isn't a change IAD flyers are going to like. Why the CO partisans won't at least acknowledge this is a mystery.

Have you even been in the MIA D terminal? Do you really believe it makes more sense to fly IAD-EWR-EZE (backtracking, UAX) than DCA-MIA-EZE (no backtracking, no Instrument of the Devil)?
No one has told you that this change does not suck for IAD flyers. I am sure it does. The disconnect is the commentary that this is done solely to screw IAD flyers, and not from a business decision perpective.

MIA and EWR would be a toss up for me. Have you tried to clear immigration at MIA? I am sure you have, and it sucks. Plus, you would have to fly AA
I personally would backtrack to EWR, but I think it is a toss up.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Yeah, I guess it depends on where you sit. I appreciate more UA metal, especially widebody aircraft, at EWR.
Agreed. For those of us out west, EWR versus IAD means a few more miles. For others such as in the south, your preferred routing (for better or worse) will be on CO via IAH. I do sympathize with the plight of IAD-based flyers, though.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Well that's a route I guess I won't be flying anymore, I HATE going up to Newark, and when weather happens up there... this is a great idea, let's go ahead and place all the routes at hubs most likely to get heavier snow storms.

Whatever, with these newest changes I'm 2 more years to hit 2MM Platinum for life and screw UA, there is nothing "Premier" about 75% elite filled planes and boarding for everyone at the same time basically, it's becoming a joke, bunch of people that never fly making decisions about what is supposed to be better for the people that do fly.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by belynch
Wishful thinking but I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and figured they could get higher profitability by flying the load out of EWR than IAD.
I agree. But the reason I started flying UA 15 years ago is that UA gave me the most domestic and international nonstops. I don't care what airline you're talking about -UA, DL, CO, US - a nonstop is preferrable over a connection. If the wizards at United WHQ think I'm going to stick with United and enjoy being funneled through the NYC area for TATL and IAH for South America, guess again.

For starters, I will never fly into any airport in the NYC area from overseas. The delays in the NYC airspace are atrocious, no matter what airline you fly on. If I'm going to have to connect to get where I need to go, AA and DL instantly become more competitive. DCA is a vastly superior airport to IAD, and offers the extra added benefit of real aircraft, not just RJ's like we get at IAD if we are connecting through EWR or JFK.

I do understand that UA is making the decisions that they believe are in the best interest of the company. That doesn't mean those decisions necessarily benefit customers in Washington. Only the most ardent CO partisan refuses to accept the reality that so far, IAD customers are seeing changes that in the aggregate, are reduction in service.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:44 am

f the wizards at United WHQ think I'm going to stick with United and enjoy being funneled through the NYC area for TATL and IAH for South America, guess again.
Thank goodness they're adding TATL frequencies from IAD then. :-:
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:45 am

I think the connection potential from Europe through EWR with its broader set of European destinations must have factored in as well.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by carvalh2
MIA and EWR would be a toss up for me. Have you tried to clear immigration at MIA? I am sure you have, and it sucks. Plus, you would have to fly AA
I personally would backtrack to EWR, but I think it is a toss up.
MIA can be challenging upon arrival, but I've never missed a connecting flight out of MIA. I can say the same for my experience in the NYC area.

As a lowly AA gold (UA 2P equivalent) I've had a much higher upgrade percentage this year on AA compared to UA, where I'm currently 1P.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Thank goodness they're adding TATL frequencies from IAD then. :-:
You forgot to mention that those "improvements" were Absolutely Fabulous CO 757s, which for some of us, represent a downgrade in service, correct?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I don't have any special knowledge of GSA city pairs, but according to their website, the contract for WAS-BUE switched from UA to AA for FY 2012 (beginning Oct. 1, 2011).

http://apps.fss.gsa.gov/citypairs/search/index.cfm?ft
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Interesting move. Biz fares IAD-EZE are so insane we can't even take them....ANYWHERE to EZE via IAD is usually cheaper. Maybe other corporate customers in IAD have run away too rather than pay the extortion they're trying to get (usually $12,000+ for C) and they think New Yorkers will fall for it?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
You forgot to mention that those "improvements" were Absolutely Fabulous CO 757s, which for some of us, represent a downgrade in service, correct?
So to get to DUB, I guess swimming is a better option out of IAD. Multiple aisles, fantastic in-swim menu (nothing but sushi), and decent in-swim entertainment (the sharks circling).
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Bulldog83
I don't have any special knowledge of GSA city pairs, but according to their website, the contract for WAS-BUE switched from UA to AA for FY 2012 (beginning Oct. 1, 2011).

http://apps.fss.gsa.gov/citypairs/search/index.cfm?ft
One of the dirty little secrets in DC these days is that the GSA city pair requirement can be easily ignored, as long as we can find a cheaper fare on a US-flag carrier.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:05 am

No, it's really all about screwing over PMUA customers who don't fly out of EWR or IAH.

I still don't understand the hate for the 752's. Unless you have been in one on a TATL, you can't moan about it. And they will be getting E+. But keep complaining if you still think it is a major downgrade.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm Reason: response to deleted quote

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.