Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather Cancellation but Still Want Miles - What are the Rules?

Old Nov 5, 11, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Have a mileage run scheduled to the Northeast in December. Sort of worried about weather messing up the plan.

Questions:

1 - If weather is bad and a waiver goes into effect, can I somehow tell them to keep the money and give me the miles?

2 - If something goes wrong enroute and the re-route me with the most direct routing, are there conditions where I CANNOT get Original Routing Credit that I should avoid? (I had to maximize my miles.)

3 - Ticket is mixed UA/CO on UA ticket. Does that make any difference? Plan to credit into MP where I am 1K.

4 - If outbound is rerouted, can I request return to be rerouted also on the most direct route (which would not be UA/CO) and still get ORC for the entire journey on MP? I wonder if they route me to another carrier both ways, then can I just not go at all and claim ORC with UA?

Just want to be prepared. Wasn't going to go for 1K this year but turned out I am only 9000 miles short. So decided to go for it. This run should net me over 7000.

Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 11, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by username View Post
1 - If weather is bad and a waiver goes into effect, can I somehow tell them to keep the money and give me the miles?
Officially you have to fly to earn. Exceptions to this will involve the Customer Service folks.

2 - If something goes wrong enroute and the re-route me with the most direct routing, are there conditions where I CANNOT get Original Routing Credit that I should avoid? (I had to maximize my miles.)
The official CO policy is that you get what you fly so long as you are actually flying on a partner. They have made exceptions for ORC but they are not obligated to. UA seems more inclined to provide ORC but the implied text on the site suggests that they do not have to.

Regarding the reroute, you get what you negotiate.
Old Nov 5, 11, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
.... 1 - If weather is bad and a waiver goes into effect, can I somehow tell them to keep the money and give me the miles? ...
Have never heard of anyone being successful on that type of request

....2 - If something goes wrong enroute and the re-route me with the most direct routing, are there conditions where I CANNOT get Original Routing Credit that I should avoid? (I had to maximize my miles.) ...
Make sure the reroute is labeled INVOL. Any voluntary changes will meet resistance and likely denial on ORC requests

....3 - Ticket is mixed UA/CO on UA ticket. Does that make any difference? Plan to credit into MP where I am 1K. ...
CO OP seems not to do ORC as often as UA MP will, keep the credit at UA MP

....4 - If outbound is rerouted, can I request return to be rerouted also on the most direct route (which would not be UA/CO) and still get ORC for the entire journey on MP? I wonder if they route me to another carrier both ways, then can I just not go at all and claim ORC with UA? ...
A "voluntary" request situation needs to be avoided -- likley to be denied ORC.
Old Nov 5, 11, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

Make sure the reroute is labeled INVOL. Any voluntary changes will meet resistance and likely denial on ORC requests
how does one request that? is it a "comment" field? or something they mark as INVOL? any further color appreciated.
Old Nov 5, 11, 2:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by travel.flier View Post
how does one request that? is it a "comment" field? or something they mark as INVOL? any further color appreciated.
In my experience the agent will enter it but a verbal request might be a good idea if you are considering ORC
Old Nov 5, 11, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
If you are willing to fly your original itinerary on the next available flight on that itinerary, then you should get ORC.

So...

If the airline offers you a more direct routing, and you take it, you will only get credit for the new routing, UNLESS the new routing is on a non-partner airline in which case you'll get ORC.

If the airline offers you a more direct routing, you can request to keep your original routing on the next available flight instead, in which case you will get ORC.

If you request next available flight, and the airline instead "forces" you to take a new routing, then you should still get ORC - but make sure that whoever is doing this marks the new routing as involuntary.

This does create an option - convince the agent to change you to a more direct routing and mark it as involuntary.

Search this Thread