Wiki Posts
Search

petty pet peeve

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: mileage plus
petty pet peeve

not sure if I have been oblivious in the past or what but on my last 10 flights or so there seems to be some prevailing wisdom (or lack thereof) that the cell phone or electronics rules don;t apply to them ... continuing to text / email during taxi before take-off, turning on phone when landing gear blows on landing, etc.

mostly business people (dressed nicely) who actually turn the phone over when the FAs come through like they are some teenager smoking in the bathroom at high school

what gives?

you can debate the regulations separately but rules are rules
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
I hear you nosnerk, and I am completely guilty of your pet peeve. I don't do it every flight, but often. I've had people remind me of the rule and I usually put it away then.

The communication system used in the cockpit is completely independent of any signals transmissible by one's BlackBerry or iPhone. I fly enough to know the emergency procedures in the event that there was an emergency during take off or landing, so I'm not worried I would be too distracted to follow FA's directions in that situation. So, until they come up with actual evidence that shows that using your electronic devices during taxi/take-off/landing, I will probably continue as I do now.

I try to be discreet about it and I NEVER make phone calls. I do flip it over or turn the brightness completely down when FAs walk by. You're right, it seems high schoolish.

Sorry to be the kind that bothers you. Just curious what makes you such as staunch supporter of this pointless rule?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Welcome to the currently pervasive societal phenomenon of I'm special / I'm different / you don't understand / the rules don't apply to me...

SunLover
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:32 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This topic is not specific to United; here's an recent thread in TravelBuzz! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...have-done.html

Please use that or any other existing thread in that forum for additional discussion; thanks.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.