1K = * Gold on Continental ??

Old Nov 3, 11, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
1K = * Gold on Continental ??

I had previously linked MP and One Pass accounts.

I booked UA flights on CO's web site because CO had more UA flight options. Used my MP 1K number in booking the reservation.

Go to UA web to checkin online tonight, and boarding passes say "STAR GOLD" where 1K is normally. Also smaller print says "Gold CO ######".

I've called 1K voice twice and both times was told I was on upgrade list.

Wondering if I'm on upgrade list as a CO Plat or CO Gold. Anyone else run into this issue?
Old Nov 3, 11, 12:50 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mdmccull View Post

I booked UA flights on CO's web site because CO had more UA flight options. Used my MP 1K number in booking the reservation.

Go to UA web to checkin online tonight, and boarding passes say "STAR GOLD" where 1K is normally. Also smaller print says "Gold CO ######".

Wondering if I'm on upgrade list as a CO Plat or CO Gold. Anyone else run into this issue?
*Gold is different from CO Gold. If your UA MP number is listed on the boarding pass, you should be fine. However, it would be better if you linked your UA and CO accounts to get CO Plat status. All the Plats will clear before any UA 1Ks, and as a Plat myself, I can tell you it isn't always easy.
Old Nov 3, 11, 12:53 am
Original Poster

I had previously linked and matched to CO Plat. That's why the "STAR GOLD" is throwing me.
Old Nov 3, 11, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by mdmccull:17382264
I had previously linked and matched to CO Plat. That's why the "STAR GOLD" is throwing me.
Co still sees it as outside onepass.
You can change it to have your op number rather than your mp number.
Old Nov 3, 11, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Mileage Plus Plat, Global Entry
*Gold is what both UA 1K and CO Plat map to. That part is correct. If your boarding pass is saying CO Gold instead of CO Plat, then that may be a problem for upgrade priority and the answer may be to put your OP number on the PNR.
Old Nov 3, 11, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michilander View Post
*Gold is what both UA 1K and CO Plat map to. That part is correct. If your boarding pass is saying CO Gold instead of CO Plat, then that may be a problem for upgrade priority and the answer may be to put your OP number on the PNR.
Agreed.
Old Nov 3, 11, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
The BP should say your elite status, so PPlat, Plat, Gold, or Silver. If you're not a OP elite, it will say *G or *S.
If it's saying *G, it's because your MP# is associated, and not your OP#. If so, change it as Plats clear before 1Ks.
Old Nov 3, 11, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GM
I'm confused about the replies. The flights are on United. Wouldn't a 1K clear before a Platinum on a United flight, no matter where the ticket was purchased?
Old Nov 3, 11, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by mrwunrfl View Post
I'm confused about the replies. The flights are on United. Wouldn't a 1K clear before a Platinum on a United flight, no matter where the ticket was purchased?
If that's the case, why is OP using OP# as opposed to MP#?
Old Nov 3, 11, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Mileage Plus Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mrwunrfl View Post
Opps, you're correct. I mis-read the original post. Apparently, OP was not confused as to why the BP said *G, but why any *A status showed up instead of 1K or CO Plat (I think this is because it is a code-share and the two are still operating as separate carriers for some things). I'm pretty sure that the operating carrier (UA in this case) determines upgrade priority, just like it determines miles awarded. In which case, you are also correct about OP being better off with the MP number on the PNR.
Old Nov 3, 11, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, AA-Plat, Marriott PPlat
Only a couple/few more months until they are truly merged..then it won't matter anymore...thankfully.

I get less upgrades when flying Cont. w/ my 1K/*G even though I've linked my accts. So, as much as they say it's merged...it isn't.
Old Nov 3, 11, 1:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, Sixt-Plat
I was on a UA flight with a companion who was CO Plat and used their CO # on the PNR; and was listed as "CO*Gold" on the BP and Manifest. So, it goes both ways.

- HF
Old Nov 3, 11, 5:49 pm

Programs: their are many of them

yup if u use ur UA number ur STAR GOLD so you have get LUMPED into same group as 1p hehehehehe..

hence why I love the star alliance system works well to my advantage

question though why didn't you link UA and OP accounts that way your status would be translated into the CO lingo of Platinum and presidential platinum or whatever it is
Old Nov 4, 11, 12:35 am
Original Poster

OP here. My original ticket was bought on CO web site, with my MP number, but boarding pass said * GOLD.

So I called 1K Voice a third time. She manually entered my MP number into PNR. She did not have to uncheck me in. Went to print boarding pass again and voila, prints "1K" like it supposed to. Jumped from #8 on upgrade list to #1.

I'm getting a little tired of these half-assed workarounds to get the benefits UACO tout for their frequent flyers. I thought once you linked accounts, it was business as usual. Guess not.

Plus I'm getting tired of all the ERJ145s to and from MCI.
Old Nov 4, 11, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
OP here. My original ticket was bought on CO web site, with my MP number, but boarding pass said * GOLD.

So I called 1K Voice a third time. She manually entered my MP number into PNR. She did not have to uncheck me in. Went to print boarding pass again and voila, prints "1K" like it supposed to. Jumped from #8 on upgrade list to #1.

I'm getting a little tired of these half-assed workarounds to get the benefits UACO tout for their frequent flyers. I thought once you linked accounts, it was business as usual. Guess not.

Plus I'm getting tired of all the ERJ145s to and from MCI.
Then you are clearly not reading all of the material that UA & CO are sending to you and you're not reading FlyerTalk. It's been discussed, ad nauseum, about using the correct FF# for your flights. There are specific, well documented and generally accepted reasons why CO & UA have implemented upgrades the way they have. Regardless of where you book the ticket, whose flight code you booked, etc. you should always use the FF# of the carrier *operating* the flight. You have now found this out yourself and at least you made it to #1 on the list.

This all goes away when the frequent flyer programs are merged.

-RM

Search this Thread