Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is CO cheaper than UA using miles from US>HKG via TATL ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

I want to confirm with someone to see if CO is cheaper than UA to fly from US (ORD or JFK) to HKG via TATL ?

I am intended to fly F, and CO come up the result is 70K each way no matter TPAC or TATL. I know UA is always 70K each way thru TPAC, and TATL is at a higher amount 85K each way, which come up to 140K TPAC and 170K TATL.

Is it still true with UA ? If so CO is the way to go ? I have linked both UA and CO account, if CO is the cheaper way to go, will certainly transfer my miles from UA to CO.

Also currently I am 1P at 76K, which also means I am CO Plat. Is CO the way to go to use miles anyway since CO Plat I don't need to pay all those award change/cancel fees, close in booking fees, phone fees ? I know only UA 1K exempt from all those fees currently. (not til end of 1st quarter next year the new UA status premier platinum will also exempt from all those award fees)

Last question, if I use miles on UA or CO, would a routing like ORD/JFK-FRA-KIX/NRT/ICN-HKG or ORD/JFK-LHR-BKK-HKG over the MPM ?

Thanks.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm
Old Nov 2, 2011, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I cannot answer all your questions, but I hope to help with one.

I completed an award booking earlier this year (UA miles, booked by UA 1k desk) for Eastern US -> TATL -> BKK in F and the "cost" was 140,000 miles. This was a star alliance award (UA,LH,TG as carriers).

I am not sure where you found the 170,000 mile cost.

I am just getting up to speed on all the CO details, so if you can reduce or eliminate fees by booking with CO, I do not see a downside. Miles transfer easily between UA and CO accounts.

I will defer to others regarding the MPM and routing details. I am still a novice with those, but I am trying to learn fast.

Good luck.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by goodeats21

I completed an award booking earlier this year (UA miles, booked by UA 1k desk) for Eastern US -> TATL -> BKK in F and the "cost" was 140,000 miles. This was a star alliance award (UA,LH,TG as carriers).

I am not sure where you found the 170,000 mile cost.
Before UA raised the mileage requirement several years ago, I know for a fact (done many F awards thru UA, and that was the answer from all agents, and that is also why I have never done TATL to HKG from ORD in the past) there was a higher amount of miles for routing thru TATL instead of TPAC from US to Asia, e.g. ORD-HKG thru TPAC was 120K in F, ORD-HKG thru TATL was 145K in F.

Therefore, for new mileage requirement I would assume there is still something like that as well, 140K for TPAC in F, and 160K or 170K for TATL in F.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 3, 2011 at 12:20 am
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Moving to UA at request of OP

Markie, Moderator *A
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Yes, CO charges the same for TATL or TPAC. They also have looser routing rules and more flexible change policies on awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.