Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award bookings one with CO/UA miles, another with US miles

Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT

My partner and I are about to book award flights to Brazil for New Years. Here's the challenging part. I'm using UA/CO miles, while he has a boatload of old US miles. We will be on the same flights, just two separate bookings.

Here's my plan so far:
1) I've found CO flights with availability for both us.
2) I'm going to call US and hold his itin.
3) If that's successful, I'll call either CO or UA and hold my itin.
4) After getting holding both and making sure all flights are actually available, I will call both US and CO/UA and actually pull the trigger.

Should I book my award through UA or CO?
Am I missing anything?
Any advice?

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Why not just book at the same time? If you both are seeing 2 seats available, then booking separately for one seat on each website should be fine.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by aacharya
Why not just book at the same time? If you both are seeing 2 seats available, then booking separately for one seat on each website should be fine.
Unfortunately, US doesn't allow Star Alliance award bookings online.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:10 pm

That seems like a good plan. I would book with UA as CO only allows holds if you don't have sufficient miles in the account.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM
You can transfer miles out of CO onepass to your linked UA mileage plus account. Then call CO, and they will hold an award reservation for 72 hours. After you book with US, transfer the miles back and book with CO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.