Pending upgrade transparency

Old Nov 4, 12, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
Time for a little backwards engineering to see how this black box works. I'll try to inquire with the upgradees to see what their particular characteristics were.
Old Nov 4, 12, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
#3 and #5 could have used (or were sponsored via) an RPU or GPU applied with R>1 to jump the queue.
Old Nov 4, 12, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Pending upgrade transparency

I did a tod upgrade after check in last Thursday once I realized I had no chance. I actually looked at the mobile and gate lists to see if my name showed because i was curious how it was showed. My name had been completely removed once I bought up. Hope that helps.
Old Nov 4, 12, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
#3 and #5 could have used (or were sponsored via) an RPU or GPU applied with R>1 to jump the queue.
Ah....another possible viable explanation. Although in this case I think unlikely. Flight has been stuck on F6 R0 for three weeks and I paid particularly close attention to it after T-24.

Originally Posted by DENflyer3 View Post
I did a tod upgrade after check in last Thursday once I realized I had no chance. I actually looked at the mobile and gate lists to see if my name showed because i was curious how it was showed. My name had been completely removed once I bought up. Hope that helps.
Interesting. As though you had purchased an FC seat and were removed from the upgrade system/reporting.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Nov 4, 12 at 11:58 pm
Old Nov 5, 12, 4:38 pm

And the reason was..............
#3 and #5 were Y-upped.
Should have thought about that one.
Old Nov 5, 12, 4:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG View Post
And the reason was..............
#3 and #5 were Y-upped.
Should have thought about that one.
So does that mean at the gate, YBM fares are sorted, like everyone else, based on status first?

Wonder what this means about GPU/RPU/Mileage upgraders?
Old Nov 5, 12, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Different but relevant question.

I am new to UA and am waitlisted for an upgrade (using a SWU) on ORD-HKG at the end of Nov. When I look on the UA app, my reservation for UA895 shows that I have been assigned seat 45A. However, if I scroll down to the bottom of the reservation on the app, it shows UA895 again with a 14A seat assignment.

On the website, it just says Upgrade Requested.

Does UA give potential seat assignments to people who are wailisted for an upgrade? Seems very odd.
Old Nov 5, 12, 6:45 pm

Programs: Airline FF: UA 1K, DL, US, AA, NW,
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
So does that mean at the gate, YBM fares are sorted, like everyone else, based on status first?

Wonder what this means about GPU/RPU/Mileage upgraders?
Actually it's...

The following is the order of priority, within five days, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:

Premier members on eligible Y- and B-class fares, as well as Premier 1K members on M-class fares: Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance, sorted by fare class, then Premier status

was just looking at this today from the Upgrades Oveview page of the united.com website.
Old Nov 5, 12, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hhmorgan View Post
Actually it's...

The following is the order of priority, within five days, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:

Premier members on eligible Y- and B-class fares, as well as Premier 1K members on M-class fares: Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance, sorted by fare class, then Premier status

was just looking at this today from the Upgrades Oveview page of the united.com website.
Understand what is written but if you read this thread, LAXOGG relates a case where a YBM traveller was upgraded prior to LAXOGG who was #1 on the Gate list. So the Gate list priority does not seem to list YBMers ahead of the CPU folks but rather by status -- which is not what one would expect. So this could be a case of what appears to be list jumper if one looked at only the Gate list.
Old Nov 6, 12, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Understand what is written but if you read this thread, LAXOGG relates a case where a YBM traveller was upgraded prior to LAXOGG who was #1 on the Gate list. So the Gate list priority does not seem to list YBMers ahead of the CPU folks but rather by status -- which is not what one would expect. So this could be a case of what appears to be list jumper if one looked at only the Gate list.
Back in Maui and can now respond. Based upon what I experienced, it appears that the information on the mobile app is in fact sorted by status, but the clearing mechanism prior to gate control (est T-4) is working properly and YBMers are pulled out of order and cleared according to policy ahead of a 1K on a lower fare.

This is really confusing to say the least.....why not prioritize the list according to how upgrades will actually clear. In other words, in my particular case, #5 on the list should have been shown as #1, #3 should have been shown as #2 and I should have been shown as #3.

Couple this with the email you get when you are transferred to the waitlist at T-24 when an upgrade instrument doesn't clear.

We are not yet able to confirm your request for an upgrade on your flight from XXX to YYY. While your upgrade request will no longer appear in your reservation, you will automatically
be added to the upgrade standby list after you complete check-in and receive your boarding pass for this flight. Check in now
Rest assured that your position on the upgrade standby list will be preserved, even during the period before you check in and are added to the lists shown online and at the airport.
After checking in, use the United mobile app or go to united.com/info to view real-time upgrade standby lists.

I believe that most people like me would expect that the upgrades would clear in sequential order.

Search this Thread