Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

is 1k-status really worth all that more than platinum?....

is 1k-status really worth all that more than platinum?....

Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
it also depends on which airport you call home. 1K means a heck of a lot more flying in/out of PDX than SFO or ORD.
New Plat will be meaningless if you're based in a HUB
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Budley
Please give us an example.
I'm seeing good EWR-BJS-EWR R availability in a few weeks - of course, only looking at that as an option as CO refuses to open up any to/from HKG
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
Well, with the "changes we'll like", the matching/ RDUs for 1K .v. lower status they will match 100%. the lower the status 75/50/25, the lower the match.

Once you figure your yearly flight miles, look at the match and see if it's worth it. Also remember more likely upgrades is a bonus too. if booking FF tickets, no fees for canceling / changing as 1k...
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:28 pm

At 91k should I go for it?

Is it worth it? Is the difference between platinum and 1k that substantial? I can't use my flexible elite miles right?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JpMaxMan
Is it worth it? Is the difference between platinum and 1k that substantial? I can't use my flexible elite miles right?
About the only thing 1K gives you today is better treatment during IRROPS, and boarding early enough to get overhead space. You might get more upgrades, but only on non-elite heavy routes.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by UA-PDX
it also depends on which airport you call home. 1K means a heck of a lot more flying in/out of PDX than SFO or ORD.
New Plat will be meaningless if you're based in a HUB
I disagree

New Plat will be worth a whole lot more than Premier Executive mean or the New Gold :-:
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
6 SWUs are worth it IMHO. I burned all 6 within 6 months. Could have done it faster if I tried

Happy Travels
DLP
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
If you are use to being Platinum on CO you will want to be 1K on the new UA - Basically 1K is the new platinum, Platinum is the new Premier Ex/Gold and - Gold/Premier EX is the new Silver - Silver/Premier - is not much better than having the UA explorer card.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
I find 1K something I definitely want to obtain during the year, especially when it comes to IRROPS (irregular operations/delays). For me, being one of the first to make it on the next flight and to have better access to information (via the 1K line) makes it so worth while. Even when I do something stupid like sleep through my alarm due to a Chicago 4am bender...getting on the next flight is so easy (when I probably shouldn't be )

I'm not doing a lot of short flights and no mileage runs, with generally three flights to Europe, two down under, and one to Asia each year. That mixed in with quite a few ORD->LAX generally gives me around 115K.

I've been surprised with the number of times I clear UDU -- I hardly ever sit in Economy any more. I even made a last minute standby on an LGA->ORD flight the other day and then on my way down the ramp got upgraded to the only available seat in front (interestingly from the middle seat in the back row). That was a shocker. I find getting domestic UDU from ORD to be easy. However, Asia runs on SWU seem to be getting harder and harder to get and I'm pondering not spending the extra $$ for an upgradeable fare.

Without a doubt 1K makes travel easier and less stressful, even with some of the changes in the program (perceived and real).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:38 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I think this year your flex eqms will count. Not if used next year. well worth it.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
If you are use to being Platinum on CO you will want to be 1K on the new UA - Basically 1K is the new platinum, Platinum is the new Premier Ex/Gold and - Gold/Premier EX is the new Silver - Silver/Premier - is not much better than having the UA explorer card.
^ +1
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
I think this year your flex eqms will count. Not if used next year. well worth it.

Nope

! The OnePass number you entered has already qualified for Platinum Elite status. Your Flex Elite Qualification Miles do not expire and may be used to attain Elite status in the future.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Nope

! The OnePass number you entered has already qualified for Platinum Elite status. Your Flex Elite Qualification Miles do not expire and may be used to attain Elite status in the future.
This is a common system problem. See the Presidential Plus thread, but basically, you need to call the OPSC and tell them what you are trying to do, and they can (eventually) make it happen.

You can use FEQM to make 1K this year - come 2012, you will not be able to.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:41 am

CLE-NRT for $300???

Originally Posted by 5khours
Had lunch with a buddy today who needs a few extra miles. So he found a one day CLE<>NRT RT for $300. He sure thinks it'w worth it.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by twixwav
Does anyone know how difficult it is to use the SWUs?
I manage all the travel arrangements for my 1K father on his trips to PEK and he uses SFO as his gateway and right now we are sitting on 12 successful upgrades out of 12 SWU requests over the last 2 years plus two additional op-ups, and a successful mileage upgrade (first time ever that he's used miles for himself )

And mind you that SFO has one of the heaviest GS concentration of pax...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.