Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AA 2x EQM/RDM ORD (& DFW) to LAX & SFO; will UA match?

AA 2x EQM/RDM ORD (& DFW) to LAX & SFO; will UA match?

Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Ha! If they do I hope it applies to existing bookings.. Just booked ORD->SFO->ORD for December....
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Ha! If they do I hope it applies to existing bookings.. Just booked ORD->SFO->ORD for December....
The AA one specifically said " Reservation must be booked on or after October 27, 2011, to be eligible"

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 27, 2011 at 8:44 pm
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
The AA one specifically said " Reservation must be booked on or after October 27, 2011, to be eligible"
I don't think these promos ever apply to existing bookings. Depending on the poster's circumstances, it could be benefitial to swallow the change fee
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Hopefully this time they do it without the resident/address restriction.

Some of us that fly those segments all the time would appreciate completing for upgrades with fellow elites that have actually earned their status in a non-discriminatory manner.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Again?

What's next - extending the DRDM for ORD-HKG?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Aaron01
I don't think these promos ever apply to existing bookings.
Up until a couple of years ago, United's DEQM promos did.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD

Some of us that fly those segments all the time would appreciate completing for upgrades with fellow elites that have actually earned their status in a non-discriminatory manner.
UA has every right to discriminate their market.

In this case, they are clearly trying to prevent loyal passengers based at ORD, SFO, and LAX from flying on Virgin America. If I were UA/CO I'd do the same, as I have flown VX and whenever I see a fare pop up in a market they serve, it's very hard for me to purchase UA/CO because VX is so much better.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by LAX
I thought UA's earlier promotion only applied to O/D between ORD & LAX.

LAX
It allowed onward connections, with DEQM only given for ORD - LAX/SFO.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Oct 28, 2011 at 9:51 am
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: United 2P
Originally Posted by JAaronT
No whammies no whammies!
Big money ..... big money ... STOP!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD

Why ?

Since your profile suggest you are based at SYD, and supposedly you flew ORD-SFO/LAX-SYD, so no matter what airlines you fly ORD-SFO/LAX, you will still be giving your business to UA SFO/LAX-SYD. UA won't be losing that much money if you don't fly the domestic portion with them.

It is for those who solely fly ORD-SFO/LAX that they are based at IL and CA, they know some of them fly multiple roundtrips a month, once they lose them they lose them forever. No business travelers are going to keep swtich back and fourth between AA/UA/VX, unlike international they know they can't fight with multiple int'l carriers, so why bother extend the promotion other than IL and CA residents.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Interestingly I just got an e-mail from a non-MRer telling his colleagues about the AA deal. Perhaps this will get AA more attention than they think. I know some of the airlines were talking about pulling a few more planes out of the market. PErhaps AA thinks they can pick up the gap created.

I'm a little tempted by this one. With it being a start of the year promotion (well started now). I could easily book 100,000 miles in a couple fun filled weeks and give AA a real try. Wouldn't compromise my ability to go back to UA later in the year if I don't like it. I hear AA has more first class and that means, despite the lack of E+, you are sitting up front more. On my short flights, I don't care about E+, so the regional planes don't cause me any concern. I will say I'm not an MD80 fan though...
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
LAX-DFW and vice versa on UA is a 3 hour flight on a CRJ-700, yikes.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ORDSteve
LAX-DFW and vice versa on UA is a 3 hour flight on a CRJ-700, yikes.
I would only expect them to match on LAX/SFO - ORD.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS
But that's exactly what I'm looking at - V or AA certainly cover the routes you've pointed out I use, and a deqm could get me status on one of those carriers (AA at least) by the end of the year.

Having said that, I don't plan to switch carriers and a deqm for me isn't particularly helpful.

I'm keen to understand more why someone flying that leg often, but not a resident of either end-point is not a target of such a promotion. I could probably hit 1k on that leg alone..
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: AA-Plat./ UA-Plat.
It would make sense for UA to follow, especially since so many elites are a bit disgruntled over the MP changes, they should try and lure some of us into staying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.