Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/United Gold....upgrades on copa during holiday season?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:58 am
Original Poster

I was curious to hear from others who have experience obtaining upgrades on Copa. I'm Gold status on Continental...whatever that may mean post-merger.

Specifically, I'm debating whether to pay a few hundred dollars extra to fly down to brazil from nyc, via panama, on COPA during the holiday season (between x-mas and new years). TAM has a cheaper flight, and still provides EQM, but there is no upgrade possibility. Only on COPA.

Let me know people's thoughts on the possibility of upgrades on COPA during this prime travel season down to Brazil and whether the gamble is worth a few hundred extra bucks over TAM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Gold means the same. All that happened (from an upgrade perspective) is that the Plats above you were split into Platinum, 1K, and GS.

If it's $200, it's worth the gamble.

Last edited by aacharya; Oct 27, 2011 at 11:43 am
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: nada
CM has a reputation for easy upgrades, and I've heard of a few gold and plats with 100% success rates on these flights.
In addition, the holiday season tends to be high tourist loads, low business loads, so there are fewer elites typically.
Personally, I'd jump on it as a Silver, because I think the odds are that good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.