FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Fuel surcharge for Mileage Plus Award Tickets? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1273285-fuel-surcharge-mileage-plus-award-tickets.html)

frankyday Oct 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Fuel surcharge for Mileage Plus Award Tickets?

Hello everyone,

I have tried searching thru some of the previous posts here but seemed I cannot find a post which is explicitly related to this, therefore I open this post.

I have been using Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club for long time and I am new to UA Mileage Plus.

I understand that for redemption ticket, UA does NOT charge fuel surcharge at all (while almost all other mileage programs do charge the fuel surcharge)

However, I am not sure whether this is still true when I use the Mileage Plus to redeem Star Alliance Airline ticket (e.g. ANA, Singapore airline or Turkish airline).

As you know, the fuel surcharge nowadays is so expensive that if this is waived for all airline using Mileage Plus, then I would say it saves quite a lot money especially for long-haul flight.

Hope someone can answer my question here.

Thanks a million
Franky

Joshua Oct 26, 2011 9:53 pm

A recent award redemption on NZ did not charge me any fuel surcharges. Just had to cough up US Sept. 11 fee, Australia "safety and security" charge, and Australia passenger service charge. $30.80 total bill for a one way business class ticket.

My paid return ticket had $250 in fuel surcharges.

Generally speaking, I find awards on MileagePlus/OnePass to be the best in the industry, and OnePass rewards are easy to book. The closest competition is probably US Airways, albeit only for partner flights.

mahasamatman Oct 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Currently, Mileage Plus does not charge YQ on any award ticket.

frubio2012 Oct 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 17342920)

I got charged for my DFW-SFO-FRA-LHR-MUC-ORD-DFW F award.

mahasamatman Oct 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by frubio2012 (Post 17342943)
I got charged for my DFW-SFO-FRA-LHR-MUC-ORD-DFW F award.

There are fees, but there should have been no YQ (fuel surcharge).

frubio2012 Oct 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 17342964)
There are fees, but there should have been no YQ (fuel surcharge).

FC 8NOV DFW UA X/SFO LH X/FRA LH LON 0.00XF LH X/MUC LH CHI 0.00I UA DFW 0.00XY NUC0.00END ROE1.0 XT 47.20RA 34.80UB 15.90DE 7.50AY 7.00XY 5.50YC 5.00XA A/C 4.50USD

That's what I see on my receipt...

mahasamatman Oct 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by frubio2012 (Post 17342995)
That's what I see on my receipt...

No fuel surcharge there.

frubio2012 Oct 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 17343001)
No fuel surcharge there.

Ah, I stand corrected. :).

frankyday Oct 27, 2011 12:12 am

So, is the conclusion that even taking other Star Alliance Partner airline, still no need to pay the fuel surcharge? (either pay to UA while making the reservation or while checking in at the airport with the Star Alliance Partner airline)

Thanks
Franky

AndrewT84 Oct 27, 2011 12:20 am

Originally Posted by frankyday (Post 17343369)
So, is the conclusion that even taking other Star Alliance Partner airline, still no need to pay the fuel surcharge? (either pay to UA while making the reservation or while checking in at the airport with the Star Alliance Partner airline)

Thanks
Franky

That appears to be so and has been my experience on reward tickets in the past.

I just booked a nice reward trip: LAX-AKL/SYD-BKK-SIN-PVG-NRT-LAX on a mix of UA, NZ, TG, SQ, and NH and the only charges were airport taxes, departure taxes, fees, etc...but NO fuel surcharge.

WineCountryUA Oct 27, 2011 12:21 am

Originally Posted by frankyday (Post 17343369)

Thanks
Franky

as answered earlier

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 17342920)

frankyday Oct 27, 2011 12:40 am

Originally Posted by AndrewT84 (Post 17343393)
That appears to be so and has been my experience on reward tickets in the past.

I just booked a nice reward trip: LAX-AKL/SYD-BKK-SIN-PVG-NRT-LAX on a mix of UA, NZ, TG, SQ, and NH and the only charges were airport taxes, departure taxes, fees, etc...but NO fuel surcharge.

Oh! That's simply gorgeous! How many miles required? I can imagine how expensive it will be if need to include the fuel surcharge.

The feeling is so great of having NO fuel surcharge at all!

joshwex90 Oct 27, 2011 3:32 am

Originally Posted by frankyday (Post 17343447)
Oh! That's simply gorgeous! How many miles required? I can imagine how expensive it will be if need to include the fuel surcharge.

To see how many miles you need, do a sample reward booking on continental.com. My personal recommendation would be, if you have a MP account, to create a OP account, link the 2, and transfer miles from MP to OP, and book on CO. You will likely get more options online.

usa18dca Oct 27, 2011 3:37 am

Originally Posted by frankyday (Post 17343447)

It should be 135K for NZ/Australia/ New Caledonia.

UnitedSkies Oct 27, 2011 8:36 am

Continental.com/OnePass also does not charge fuel surcharges for award tickets.