iMac 27" as carry-on for int'l flight?

Old Oct 26, 11, 9:53 am
jez
Original Poster

iMac 27" as carry-on for int'l flight?

Has anyone successfully carried a 27" iMac (or other computer of similar size) as a carry-on with UA/CO? I need to bring mine to TLV (most likely with UA/CO or in a combination with LH) and obviously don't want to ship it as a bag.

In addition, any thoughts on ensuring that I don't have to pay taxes when I bring that same computer back to the US? It's already a few months old and I have the invoice.

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 11, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Where do you plan on storing it, if you could bring it on board?
Old Oct 26, 11, 10:06 am
jez
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Where do you plan on storing it, if you could bring it on board?
Above the seats? Or, give it to an FA to store up front. Might fly in C if it makes any difference.

Not even sure whether TSA will let me through with it.
Old Oct 26, 11, 10:13 am

Programs: Yes
no .
Old Oct 26, 11, 10:38 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
You should plan on shipping it to TLV via FedEx or some other carrier.
Old Oct 26, 11, 10:42 am
jez
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
You should plan on shipping it to TLV via FedEx or some other carrier.
I looked into that too, it's 450+ without insurance. Probably 500 altogether and will likely have to pay taxes at customs for an item I intend on bringing back to the US anyway.

I did find a nice-looking bag which might do the trick, assuming I can find a place to store the bag in the a/c and TSA lets me through with it: http://www.bigsoso.com/english/imac-...7-black.html#2 .
Old Oct 26, 11, 10:49 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Don't put it in the overhead compartment, my bowling balls are going to be in there
Old Oct 26, 11, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K Air Canada Gold Thai Air Gold Delta Platinum Hilton Diamond
Been there and Done That

I carried that around the world literally. You'll get some strange looks but no problems. Fit nicely in a Samsonite fold over .

However when you try to leave Israel, they will likely keep your computer overnight and ship it to your next destination. No amount of pleading will help. They have to take it off airport to inspect . As you can imagine their security is air tight and something like that causes a lot of questions.

Possibly you could take it to the airport the day before for inspection and get it passed that way.

Good Luck
Old Oct 26, 11, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by firecat69 View Post
I carried that around the world literally. You'll get some strange looks but no problems. Fit nicely in a Samsonite fold over .

However when you try to leave Israel, they will likely keep your computer overnight and ship it to your next destination. No amount of pleading will help. They have to take it off airport to inspect . As you can imagine their security is air tight and something like that causes a lot of questions.

Possibly you could take it to the airport the day before for inspection and get it passed that way.

Good Luck
Have they heard of this thing called the internet? You can send data through a series of tubes out of the country...
Old Oct 26, 11, 12:48 pm

Programs: VAG
I'm typing this on a 27" iMac and... boy, it's big. Especially with that stand, I'm not sure if the top-to-bottom width is small enough to fit into an overhead bin. You should measure it carefully and contact the airline to see whether it'll fit.

It's heavy, too, much heavier than it looks, but afaik United don't have a maximum weight for cabin bags (presumably they reserve the right to complain if your bag is filled with lead bricks though).

I see no reason why the TSA would have any problem with it. It's just a computer, right? "Yes sir, my laptop is a little larger than most."
Old Oct 26, 11, 12:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
Have they heard of this thing called the internet? You can send data through a series of tubes out of the country...
and you don't think that monitored?
Old Oct 26, 11, 1:00 pm
jez
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I'm typing this on a 27" iMac and... boy, it's big. Especially with that stand, I'm not sure if the top-to-bottom width is small enough to fit into an overhead bin. You should measure it carefully and contact the airline to see whether it'll fit.

It's heavy, too, much heavier than it looks, but afaik United don't have a maximum weight for cabin bags (presumably they reserve the right to complain if your bag is filled with lead bricks though).

I see no reason why the TSA would have any problem with it. It's just a computer, right? "Yes sir, my laptop is a little larger than most."
lol!nice one I guess I should bring a UPS along as well, to complete the 'large laptop story'. In the end I think I'm just not going to transport it, sounds like too much hassle and too many unknowns. I'll have to survive with my 13" screen. yikes.
Old Oct 26, 11, 1:21 pm

It would probably fit if you got one of the carrying cases for the iMac.

http://www.ilugger.com/product/detai...1460&pid=40029

I would be prepared for some extra screening at security.
Old Oct 26, 11, 2:33 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by jez View Post
lol!nice one I guess I should bring a UPS along as well, to complete the 'large laptop story'. In the end I think I'm just not going to transport it, sounds like too much hassle and too many unknowns. I'll have to survive with my 13" screen. yikes.
If the concern is having a decent screen to work off while you're in Israel, then you could always just buy an external screen for your laptop when you get there for a couple of hundred bucks. Much cheaper than shipping.
Old Oct 26, 11, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
and you don't think that monitored?
Tor Project + encryption = not going to be monitored

Not to mention that you can get 32gb micro SD cards for $50 which wouldn't set off a metal detector or be seen on millimeter wave

Anybody that is trying to smuggle some form of confidential data has LOTS of outlets including one of my favorites, with Steganography.

Someone could be posing as a photographer, the cameras could have real photos on them, but you could easily contain large amounts of data that would be completely hidden and even encrypted.

Searching someone's 27" desktop that they are carrying on a plane is ridiculous because nobody actually smuggling something important would do it....

Search this Thread