SFO Club Access for Passenger Travelling on AA?

Old Oct 25, 11, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton
SFO Club Access for Passenger Travelling on AA?

Hey FTers! I'm a United Club member and am in SFO with a friend who is leaving SFO the same day on AA, not UA. We'd like to head to the airport a bit early and avail ourselves of drinks at the United club, but I see that AA leaves from a different terminal. Does anyone have experience taking their +1 into the United terminal when they're flying on a different airline?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 25, 11 at 11:36 am Reason: more details in thread titles, please
Old Oct 25, 11, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Don't know about SFO in particular but here in Chicago it would not be allowed without a gate pass (ie if you are flying standby, or other reason).. There are a few threads on this (most of them specific to LAX)
Old Oct 25, 11, 11:46 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I don't recall any guest of mine to show their boarding pass when entering a United Club on my membership. That requirement only comes into play when using the * Gold lounge entrance rules.

For United Club members, I believe the only requirement is that your guest has to be able to present themselves at the Club with you to be guested in. It appears from posts below that the AA (Terminal 2) and UA (Terminal 3) terminals are connected gateside so your plan should work (just allow enough time to walk between terminals).

This would also work at airports like IAD (not the LH Lounge, though), SEA, and SNA where there are gateside connections between terminals and LGA, where the PMUA Club is outside of security.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 25, 11 at 12:04 pm
Old Oct 25, 11, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
Don't know about SFO in particular but here in Chicago it would not be allowed without a gate pass (ie if you are flying standby, or other reason).. There are a few threads on this (most of them specific to LAX)
While it would a fair hike from T3 to T1 (we'll ignore the T2 RCC - what are we calling it now, UC??) the statement above is not correct. T1/2/3 are all connected airside.
Old Oct 25, 11, 11:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
SFO doesn't care which terminal you want to go in as long as you have a boarding pass for a flight that leaves that day (and the post midnight flights the next day prior to 2am)
Old Oct 25, 11, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
While it would a fair hike from T3 to T1 (we'll ignore the T2 RCC - what are we calling it now, UC??) the statement above is not correct. T1/2/3 are all connected airside.
Thanks, I was under the impression they were not... I have been to SFO but was very jetlagged... I have not had my guests BP checked when entering the UC...
Old Oct 25, 11, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Thanks, I was under the impression they were not... I have been to SFO but was very jetlagged... I have not had my guests BP checked when entering the UC...
Yeah ORD is all connected behind security with the exception of the International Terminal (T5).

Its about a 25 minute walk from T3 to T1 (unless you are down at a farthest gates from security then I would add 10 more minutes).
Old Oct 25, 11, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just to clarily my statement above. I was talking about ORD being connected. I do think 25 minutes is an exaggeration. From K/L1 in T3 to the B6 Club in T1 it couldn't be more than 10 minutes for a reasonably fast person.
Old Oct 25, 11, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Just to clarily my statement above. I was talking about ORD being connected. I do think 25 minutes is an exaggeration. From K/L1 in T3 to the B6 Club in T1 it couldn't be more than 10 minutes for a reasonably fast person.
whatever number you prefer works for me!
Old Oct 25, 11, 12:53 pm

Programs: VAG
This thread is getting confusing because people are talking at cross purposes.

Let me clarify: there is absolutely no way to get from the AA terminal (2) to the UA terminal (3) airside at SFO. I know, I tried it quite recently. I wanted to check out the new AA/VA terminal before my UA flight so I went through security at the AA terminal and was annoyed to discover that while there looks like there's a walkway on the map, there ain't.

(For what it's worth, the new terminal certainly looks new, but I don't like it much.)

Anyway, from this I also know that the security peeps don't seem to have any problem with letting you into the wrong terminal at SFO. Can't vouch for the United Club.
Old Oct 25, 11, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Yep, what Jorgen says.

On a recent United flight out of SFO T3, I thought I'd go look at the new T2.

No SFO T3-T2 connection airside.

What you CAN do airside is go back and forth between SFO T3 and the International Terminal.

(And when T3 security lines are long, even for elites, the Int. Terminal lines are often a much better bet, so that airside connector is handy.)
Old Oct 25, 11, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by flyer215 View Post
What you CAN do airside is go back and forth between SFO T3 and the International Terminal.
Providing you want to get to the G pier in the international terminal. There is no way to get over to the A side which has BA, Cathay and Virgin Atlantic, for instance.

Search this Thread