Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL Q3 2011 Earnings Conference Call Thread [Discussion, Highlights, etc.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL Q3 2011 Earnings Conference Call Thread [Discussion, Highlights, etc.]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by entropy
I find it a bit ridiculous that he's whining about the "tax" burden for airlines. Airports aren't free to build, ATC isn't free. Those airports, and infrastructure to build and maintain cost money, so either its the "public" who pays (and doesn't fly) or its the users of infrastructure that should pay. I'm in the camp that the users should pay when possible. (I also think that private aviation, especially private jet aviation needs to pay a lot more when it comes to user fees).
Airports charge PFCs of up to $4.50 for enplanement, flight segment tax of $3.70 per segment plus 7.5% excise tax of base fare funds ATC, and TSA fees are up to $5 each way.

The talk of a $100 tax per takeoff was for the general fund. It is not a user fee.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Recent blog post talked about UA possibly ordering some A321s. Any talk of this? I missed the call, so I'm just about five minutes into it.
Someone asked about the narrow-body order and the response was that it wouldn't be this year at all.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by entropy
I find it a bit ridiculous that he's whining about the "tax" burden for airlines. Airports aren't free to build, ATC isn't free. Those airports, and infrastructure to build and maintain cost money, so either its the "public" who pays (and doesn't fly) or its the users of infrastructure that should pay. I'm in the camp that the users should pay when possible. (I also think that private aviation, especially private jet aviation needs to pay a lot more when it comes to user fees).
If the airlines are going to be taxed to such an extent, it would be helpful to see some of those revenues put toward meaningful airspace and ATC reform. We are currently bound to an outmoded, obsolete, overburdened system that dates to the beginning of the Jet Age and results in wasted millions (if not billions) of dollars from additional fuel burn, delays and lost productivity. Meanwhile, the NextGen proposal is anything but, and decades overdue.

I agree that private jet aviation needs to shoulder some more of the burden. It's not fair that commercial air carriers essentially subsidize a system that siphons airline revenues while getting what amounts to a free ride.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
fwiw, the $mi$ek intro article in the November Hemisphere is titled "Stop Air Tax Now"

http://www.ink-live.com/emagazines/h...1//#/13/zoomed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.