Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best United Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rockrich
Originally Posted by NYCSINUA
SFO IFL and HKG RCC/IFL.

Off topic, but nothing really comes close to the SKL at SIN -ducks to avoid the tomatoes- :P
Ditto SFO IFL.
What is SFO IFL? I have not found anything in SFO of interest. What have you found?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
What is SFO IFL? ...
SFO UA International First Class Lounge
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Just left the one in HKG. Pretty nice!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
HKG, but I still go to the TG lounge when I'm there.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by manneca
Hong Kong is the pits. Of course I'm spoiled. I expected it would be like the old NW lounge in Narita.

It's open so there's really no a/c. The food sucks big time.

I can't believe it's an Asian lounge. The food is awful. Really, hot dogs? Hot dogs half the length of the buns?

I was not impressed.
Come on now, be fair, that was just a snack item on the side. There are a few main courses such as pasta, veggies, hot soup, etc and many snack items available including sandwiches, cup-a-noodle, spring-rolls, sushi rolls, fresh whole fruits, etc

I am at the lounge almost once a week. It is much better now than it used to be. Although it is not the best, it is not bad either.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by TWAWORLD
I also like PDX and CO's DFW. The staff was friendly there.
I agree. The DFW UC can get crowded in the afternoon, but there are rumors that it may expand once the merger smoke clears.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Exec / UA Gold
HKG gets my vote as far as RCC.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:24 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by manneca
Hong Kong is the pits. Of course I'm spoiled. I expected it would be like the old NW lounge in Narita.

It's open so there's really no a/c. The food sucks big time.

I can't believe it's an Asian lounge. The food is awful. Really, hot dogs? Hot dogs half the length of the buns?

I was not impressed.
Really? Are you sure you're talking about the United lounge? Like someone else said above, 2-3 hot dishes--always a pasta, I've seen chicken there, beef dishes, etc. Soup and sushi, samosas and other Indian treats. Packaged foods like noodles, Oreos, and ice cream. Self-serve beverages including booze and a dozen different kinds of canned/bottled drinks.

There is no a/c and it is warm, but my guess it's the same temperature as the Thai lounge across the hall.

The OP of this thread asked about the best United lounge. Please, tell me which one is better. Have you been to UA's NRT lounge? Unless it's changed in the last year--the beer machine doesn't make up for the food offerings of cream cheese and saltine crackers. Outside of UA, been to ANY lounge in Shanghai? Certainly falls short of the HKG club, as does CA's flagship PEK lounge...Oh, all of those are open-air-non-a/c-locations too. Even the much-raved-about SQ Silver Kris lounge in SIN and the OZ lounge in ICN offers less food options.

And when comparing to any domestic lounge, neither PMUA nor your beloved PMCO lounges hold a candle. Carrots and yogurt covered raisins...Yay.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: MP 1K
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
The OP of this thread asked about the best United lounge. Please, tell me which one is better. Have you been to UA's NRT lounge? Unless it's changed in the last year--the beer machine doesn't make up for the food offerings of cream cheese and saltine crackers.
That's not entirely fair to the Narita lounge; every time I've been there has also been a vegetable soup, edamame, rather weak sushi rolls, and some packaged rice balls (I don't know what they're called), along with the deserts. It's nowhere near what people describe for the other Asian lounges, but is certainly better than a domestic RCC. Plus, the beer machines are fun to play with. Although they do have two separate food stations; the one by the entrance has the more substantial stuff, while the beer machine area only really has the crackers and deserts.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LAX
FYI, beginning in Nov, US will be doing away with Envoy Lounge. It will become a regular US Club. That's pretty sad considering it was at least a cut above all other US-based domestic lounges.

LAX
That's terrible. I loved the Envoy Lounge in PHL...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I like the NRT showers.
+1

They're spotless, there are plenty of them, and the lounge is right at the gates, making a shower possible with a tight connection.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I like the NRT showers.
Showers??? At A UA club?? wow!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
From the RCCs that I've visited, I'd put PDX and MCO at the top of my list. Both have exceptional staff and are not packed like most of the clubs.

Non RCC, I really liked the US club in CLT. Good selection of snacks, large quiet area, and plenty of room.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Perhaps not the place to ask, but along the theme of ranking clubs:
Are all UC's just offering packaged carrots and cheese? Is there any domestic club that actually has decent food offerings? (surely some airline could actually do this and use it as a point of differentiation... really how much does a few cold cuts, a salad, some decent cheese and crackers cost?)
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Amongst the domestic lounges, I like the United Club at IAH concourse E best, although mostly because the bartenders on duty on Friday nights are the best I've run into in any domestic lounge.

I once ran into Jeff Smisek's hairdresser there, too, at least according to one of the above bartenders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.