Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade priority on UA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes. I have the Chase United MP VISA signature card. I have had it for about 7 years. It was used to purchase both tickets on the original PNR.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by Froeken
Did it keep happening to you, or was it a one-time occurrence? In other words, do i need to call UA and have them do something with my account, or will this likely not happen next time?
it was a one time event. Wife always above me (even when I should be first) is recurring, but someone in between only happened the once. It seemed a big enough deal that there was an investigation (that contacted me a few times for additional details).
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
No.
Is your colleague's ticket number earlier in sequence than yours? Even on the same PNR tickets are issued in order, not simultaneously.
I just checked. My ticket number is lower than his 016xxxxxxxxx292 vs. his 016xxxxxxxxx303.

I am number 78 on the sequence list, he is 79.

So that makes even less sense now?

Originally Posted by Red_Rob
it was a one time event. Wife always above me (even when I should be first) is recurring, but someone in between only happened the once. It seemed a big enough deal that there was an investigation (that contacted me a few times for additional details).
Was it the call to United that initiated the investigation? I feel like I need to call them and figure out why. But then, I obsess over this stuff....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 22, 2012 at 11:34 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA1K
I had a similar situation earlier in the year PVG-LAX.

I used my system wide upgrades for myself and a business associate. He had no status and I am 1K. I checked in a T-23 online, he checked in at the gate.
Both were from the same PNR that had been split.

He was #4 on the list and I was #7. As time went on more people were added between us. I ended up making the upgrade but figured the upgrade process in this case was broken and maybe someday it would be fixed.

Looks like there are still similar problems.

The common denominator seems to be the SWU from another 1K or the splitting of the PNR? The latter makes more sense to me if it somehow appears as an earlier purchase date in the system?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:31 am

Definitely the sponsored SWU seems to be the common thing. I wonder if the PNR splitting is what does it? Although, this should only affect the Priority A&B waitlist, not the DM list, right?

Something is definitely broken. Sure wish they'd fix it :-(
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
7 seats open and 8 people on upgrade list

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your reply. I am booked on flight 52 on Oct 6th from EZE to IAH.

Per UA customer service there are 7 open seats in Business First on this flight. There are 8 people on priority upgrade list.

She could not tell me my place on the list though.

I am Platinum and using miles and money to upgrade.

Two questions:
1. What's the upgrade priority order?
2. What are my chances?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by denuaflier
Hi,

Thanks in advance for your reply. I am booked on flight 52 on Oct 6th from EZE to IAH.

Per UA customer service there are 7 open seats in Business First on this flight. There are 8 people on priority upgrade list.

I am Platinum and using miles and money to upgrade.

Two questions:
2. What are my chances?
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...aspx#cpriority
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Two questions:
2. What are my chances?
Simple answer for long haul international -- Status, Fare Class, Time of Request.
Upgrade method does not matter.
As for chances, depends on where you are on the list and understanding anyone purchasing a ticket from now til flight time with a higher status or the same status and higher fare will jump ahead of you.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE

Some of those currently occupied business class seats may go empty as travelers change their plans. It's still worth being on the list, even if you cannot clear if the flight were today.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Platinum (ambassador), Marriott Gold
Not sure I understand the instant upgrades at the time of ticketing... Does it mean, for sure I am getting the upgrades. With B class of fare for interntional flights, I just did my instant upgrades with SWUs, I actually was able to select seats for 3 out of 4 segments with the remaining segment on waitlist. Hope I will get the upgrades...

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FLYINGCAGATOR
Not sure I understand the instant upgrades at the time of ticketing... Does it mean, for sure I am getting the upgrades. With B class of fare for interntional flights, I just did my instant upgrades with SWUs, I actually was able to select seats for 3 out of 4 segments with the remaining segment on waitlist. Hope I will get the upgrades...

Thanks
Instant Upgrades for B & M require PN/P inventory (and of course an open seat in F), so they are not guarantee.

Instant Upgrades do not apply to long haul international flights, only for CPU eligible flights.

For use of GPU (SWUs) you should be immediately upgraded if R/RN space >0.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:10 am

Global First Upgrade Priority -- how does this happen?

Fare Class: J
Check-in Time: 23:55 before departure time
#1 on Wait-list for TransPac Flight as advised by counter

Other passenger also GS, J class ticket (I know for sure), checks in at airport. Jumps me on list and receives only First Class seat open?

How does this happen?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:40 am

S/he could have been placed on the upgrade waitlist before you were (purchased ticket earlier?) but had not checked-in. Until a person check-ins s/he does not appear on the stand-by upgrade list; however, when a person checks-in her/his position on the list is informed by her/his priority. Priority is determined by status, fareclass, and then time-of-request.

Last edited by Indelaware; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:24 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Is it possible they were offered/took a buy-up?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Another guess: was your upgrade sponsored by someone else with lower status? Instruments take the priority of the person who sponsored the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.