Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
This is a page I hadn't seen before that is linked to from the premier benefits page. Since it says you have to be Plat or 1K for the 2012 program year, I wonder if that means I can apply for GE now and submit my reimbursement in May (when I achieve plat) to take advantage of it for a trip next month.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ices.aspx#gecb
Great catch! I hadn't seen this webpage either. I just applied and then submitted the TravelBank credit request. Looks like the wait times aren't too long.

Slightly frustrating that there's no way to combine NEXUS with GE. I'd love to have express entry into Canada as I may be moving there.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:19 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
In case folks are wondering how long applications for Global Entry are taking, I applied on 3/17/12, got conditionally approved on 3/22, lots of appointments available at EWR so scheduled for 3/23 and was done (less than a week).

Did the same for my wife and kids and took 12 days to get conditionally approved...interviews for them are today...

So it is not taking too long at all...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Am I the only one a little peeved at this condition:

Once we have verified your eligibility, we will deposit a $100 credit into your MileagePlus account’s TravelBank balance, which you can use to book travel on united.com. Please allow 2-4 weeks for this process to complete. See TravelBank Terms and Conditions.
I know I know, it's a freebie and an actual enhancement, so I shouldn't bite the hand. And I recognize that starting in June the credit will be automatically applied and therefore a real money discount. But this is the first I'm reading about getting a "refund" in the form of travel credit. Not the same as a refund.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by as219

I know I know, it's a freebie and an actual enhancement, so I shouldn't bite the hand. And I recognize that starting in June the credit will be automatically applied and therefore a real money discount. But this is the first I'm reading about getting a "refund" in the form of travel credit. Not the same as a refund.
I am, too but just for the fact that the TravelBank credits can't be combined with other discounts/award tickets. Otherwise, most of us purchase enough tickets from UA to be able to use $100 in credits within a few weeks from the deposit.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA-Plat DL-Plat (did status match on DL before losing EXP on AA)
Originally Posted by todorovic
I am, too but just for the fact that the TravelBank credits can't be combined with other discounts/award tickets. Otherwise, most of us purchase enough tickets from UA to be able to use $100 in credits within a few weeks from the deposit.
But, the TERMS & CONDITIONS for TravelBank which is no longer - they've renamed it to "United.com Club" (how confusing can you get when the lounges are almost the same name?) - has a $25 annual fee.

So, does this mean that they will credit you with $100, and if you don't already have a United.com Club membership (formerly TravelBank), you will wind up with a $75 credit????

If you start from home page of United.com, there is no TravelBank.
From 'Products and Services' there is 'United.com club', but maybe you can Ask Alex about Travel Club. Of course, the URL for the United.com club has travelclub in it.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...virtual_expert
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by vrichard
But, the TERMS & CONDITIONS for TravelBank which is no longer - they've renamed it to "United.com Club" (how confusing can you get when the lounges are almost the same name?) - has a $25 annual fee.

So, does this mean that they will credit you with $100, and if you don't already have a United.com Club membership (formerly TravelBank), you will wind up with a $75 credit????

If you start from home page of United.com, there is no TravelBank.
From 'Products and Services' there is 'United.com club', but maybe you can Ask Alex about Travel Club. Of course, the URL for the United.com club has travelclub in it.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...virtual_expert
I'm assuming that we all have the TravelBank account as it is listed under my mileage summary on the My Account page. I know for sure that I have never paid any membership fee to have this activated so my guess is that the fee is necessary only if you want to accrue funds from ticket purchases. I think that the GE credit will be simply deposited into this account without us having to pay any activation/membership fees.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA-Plat DL-Plat (did status match on DL before losing EXP on AA)
Originally Posted by todorovic
I'm assuming that we all have the TravelBank account as it is listed under my mileage summary on the My Account page. I know for sure that I have never paid any membership fee to have this activated so my guess is that the fee is necessary only if you want to accrue funds from ticket purchases. I think that the GE credit will be simply deposited into this account without us having to pay any activation/membership fees.
OK - my bad I think got confused when I couldn't find TravelBank from the top-level navigation at United.com, I 'Asked Alex' and 'Travel Bank' is where funds you earn from United.com club (formerly Travel Club) go - the only link from Alex is to United.com club, but I guess TravelBank is still there and not the same.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by as219

If you are peeved, wait till June. Personally I think they found a good solution if the direct credit system wasn't yet in place (presumably for technical reasons). I have been looking forward to this enhancement and will be taking advantage of it now. There are enough things to be critical of (mainly the appalling SWU/GPU situation) - this is one thing where we can say that they are at least trying to do the right thing.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by alexperi
If you are peeved, wait till June. Personally I think they found a good solution if the direct credit system wasn't yet in place (presumably for technical reasons). I have been looking forward to this enhancement and will be taking advantage of it now. There are enough things to be critical of (mainly the appalling SWU/GPU situation) - this is one thing where we can say that they are at least trying to do the right thing.
Absolutely! I'm actually happy for UA being proactive and doing this first part (US$100 credit) right now, while working the details for a 'promo code' on the GE site in June, as long as it stays June and doesn't goto Q3 (end August, etc).

I've wanted to sign up for GE for a while now, but will gladly wait until June to not worry about the US$100 credit for both myself and my wife (Plat).

Cheers UA, now work on VERY important things for all passengers - such as the cluster that has been known as SHARES.

-jeremy
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I went ahead and filled out the online application for Global Entry this morning since I have a trip coming up in mid-May and e-mailed the payment confirmation to the address posted in the thread. I received an auto-response:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the Global Entry(tm) compensation
benefit. This email is to confirm receipt of your application
information, which we will now review. Once we have verified your
information, we will send a follow-up e-mail about the status of your
request. If you are eligible for this benefit, we will add a $100 credit
to your MileagePlus account's TravelBank balance, which you can use to
book travel on united.com. Please allow 2-4 weeks for this process to
complete.

If you are contacting us with questions about the compensation benefit,
rest assured we have received your inquiry and will respond to you as
soon as possible.

Best regards,

Your MileagePlus team
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vrichard
OK - my bad I think got confused when I couldn't find TravelBank from the top-level navigation at United.com, I 'Asked Alex' and 'Travel Bank' is where funds you earn from United.com club (formerly Travel Club) go - the only link from Alex is to United.com club, but I guess TravelBank is still there and not the same.
The TravelBank is the "account" into which United.com Club rebates are placed. In order to earn the United.com Club rebated, there is a $25 membership fee. However, it seems that the any funds otherwise placed into your TravelBank are available for use at any time without fee.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TravelBank deposits take the place of paper vouchers in the future. Where you used to get a $50 eCert, maybe you now get $50 in your TravelBank.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Great catch! I hadn't seen this webpage either. I just applied and then submitted the TravelBank credit request. Looks like the wait times aren't too long.

Slightly frustrating that there's no way to combine NEXUS with GE. I'd love to have express entry into Canada as I may be moving there.
Are you sure that UA won't compensate you for NEXUS? It is cheaper that GE, so UA might approach it as AMEX does, providing reimbursement for any GOES charges up to $100. NEXUS, of course, includes GE, so it would be ideal for you, if UA would play along.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by 14940674
Are you sure that UA won't compensate you for NEXUS? It is cheaper that GE, so UA might approach it as AMEX does, providing reimbursement for any GOES charges up to $100. NEXUS, of course, includes GE, so it would be ideal for you, if UA would play along.
Although supporting NEXUS (and I believe SENTRI) would be *cheaper* for UA because NEXUS costs half the price and gets you pre-cleared into *two* countries....UA does not offer rebates for NEXUS fees. I'm not 100% sure why they wouldn't considering it's a) cheaper; and b) you use the same GOES system online to apply for GE as you do for NEXUS.

Maybe someone at UA will wake up and support this.

-RM
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
This is a page I hadn't seen before that is linked to from the premier benefits page.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ices.aspx#gecb

Starting later in June, there will be an automated process to take advantage of this benefit, in the form of a code that can be redeemed during the Global Entry application process. We’ll provide full details on this process soon.
Great find bwiflyer01! Thank you! I am going to wait until June (or July or August, whenever they push back to ) to get a code to use on the GE application website. I have had enough of calling to ask where my miles are, where my refund is, etc. I'm not even going to add Travel Bank at this time, I don't need the aggravation of one more thing not functioning as advertised. Yes, I just stated that I have more faith in a govt. process, can you believe it?

A bit OT, I find the old CO site to be extremely un-intuitive. I looked everywhere for the GE benefiit and couldn't find it. It took me weeks to find info about how to save passport info into one's account for future intnl travel, and found it not on .bomb anywhere having to do with passports, or accounts, or travel documents but...wait for it...united hub website of all places, under "how to use a check in kiosk". Oh yeah, makes PERFECT sense.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What other credit cards or services offer this for free? After my initial one time 1K refund for GE I hope to get it free with a credit card. I don't have Plat Amex but does Chase Sapphire Preferred or other airline or hotel elite programs offer this free? Wondering if there is any way to keep this service without paying for it directly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.