Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold
Any experiences trying to use the rebate code for another person? I got GE a few months ago and just hit Plat (and my fiancee doesn't have GE yet). If it won't work for other people I might try to ask nicely for the travel bank rebate.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
If you read through this thread, there are several reports of people doing that.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by ajc1970
Received "personalized code" from United on Oct 3 (had requested it ~3 days earlier, don't know/remember the exact request date).

Applied for Global Entry on GOES on October 10.

Was given conditional approval on Oct 23, but they didn't email me letting me know that until Oct 25.

Scheduled my interview on Oct 25 -- the only available date for the Vegas center in calendar year 2012 was Nov 27 (so I took that).
Showed up at 8:59 for my 9:00 interview on Nov 27, with passport, driver's license, conditional approval interview invite letter, and copies of utility bills.

GOES office in Vegas is on 0 ("zero") floor of terminal 3, on the far left side of the building.

At about 09:05, was called in for interview. He asked to see my license and passport, he didn't want to see anything else.

He took my fingerprints, asked me who I usually travel with, why I usually travel (he only cared business or pleasure... not details), what I did for a living and how long I'd been doing it, what company I worked for and where they were based, and what countries I'd been to (he had a list prepared of countries I've visited, and compared my answer to them).

He then explained that I was approved, that I'd receive a card in the mail for land-crossings for Mexico & Canada, but that I could immediately start using my passport for entry into the US via intl airports.

I was out of the GOES office before 09:12.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Took advantage of UA's generous offer to pay the fee. Applied Mid september, received pre approval. Made an appointment at DFW during a three hour layover coming back into the US. Arrived at 9:00 for a 9:20 appt. Spent about 15 minutes with the officer, a very friendly man, asked me about living overseas, what I did, where I usually traveled. Very painless. Can't wait to start using it next month, and at LAX! The airport I'm sure I will appreciate it the most.....
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:28 am

I had a similar experience. The online registration was painless (well, as painless as a government online form process could be). I had my inteview set up for 11AM on a Sunday in early Nov for a slot in my 2 hour layover in Houston IAH. I showed up 10 min early, they had 2 other people just wrapping up. I watched the video, met with the officer (he kiddingly mocked my Red Sox hat) and was out of there in 15 minutes. I got my card in the mail a bit after that. I used the Global Entry system in ORD on my return from SIN yesterday and it worked fine--no waiting. A thumbs up from me.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by jg3rd
I had a similar experience. The online registration was painless (well, as painless as a government online form process could be). I had my inteview set up for 11AM on a Sunday in early Nov for a slot in my 2 hour layover in Houston IAH. I showed up 10 min early, they had 2 other people just wrapping up. I watched the video, met with the officer (he kiddingly mocked my Red Sox hat) and was out of there in 15 minutes. I got my card in the mail a bit after that. I used the Global Entry system in ORD on my return from SIN yesterday and it worked fine--no waiting. A thumbs up from me.
What video? I didn't get to do the watching the video part?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lax2010
What video? I didn't get to do the watching the video part?
I didn't get a video nor questions nor asked for any corroborating address info.

My time was wasted!!!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ajc1970
Showed up at 8:59 for my 9:00 interview on Nov 27, with passport, driver's license, conditional approval interview invite letter, and copies of utility bills.

GOES office in Vegas is on 0 ("zero") floor of terminal 3, on the far left side of the building.

At about 09:05, was called in for interview. He asked to see my license and passport, he didn't want to see anything else.

He took my fingerprints, asked me who I usually travel with, why I usually travel (he only cared business or pleasure... not details), what I did for a living and how long I'd been doing it, what company I worked for and where they were based, and what countries I'd been to (he had a list prepared of countries I've visited, and compared my answer to them).

He then explained that I was approved, that I'd receive a card in the mail for land-crossings for Mexico & Canada, but that I could immediately start using my passport for entry into the US via intl airports.

I was out of the GOES office before 09:12.
Assuming he also took your picture and walked you through using the kiosk?

Originally Posted by jg3rd
Video must be new. I didn't have one when I did my interview in September. My officer just confirmed my documents, asked very few questions, took my picture*, showed me how to use the kiosk, and had me out of there in about 5 minutes.

*I was totally not prepared for it, so the picture is terrible. She basically said to look to my left, which I did, and then informed me the picture was done. Surprise! I asked if I could look at it and maybe retake it, since I didn't even know she took it, but she said it was fine. When I got the card, I discovered that "fine" must be a relative term...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
GE basically useless on UA at IAD with checked bags

GE may work fine but if you checked any bags you have a chocie of waiting on line before Immigration or at the carousel after Immigration. It's not saved me one minute at IAD thanks to UA's glacial bag process
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rjburns
GE may work fine but if you checked any bags you have a chocie of waiting on line before Immigration or at the carousel after Immigration. It's not saved me one minute at IAD thanks to UA's glacial bag process
True, but I'd rather sit on the cart or carousel than shuffle forward a few feet every 30 seconds.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rjburns
Even if you have checked bags, you still get to skip the customs queue, which can be substantial.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Assuming he also took your picture and walked you through using the kiosk?

Video must be new. I didn't have one when I did my interview in September. My officer just confirmed my documents, asked very few questions, took my picture*, showed me how to use the kiosk, and had me out of there in about 5 minutes.
I was brough to a dvd player with 7" screen when I was interviewed in mid November at SFO. No walk through of using kiosk. I guess that the video replaces the walk-through?

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
*I was totally not prepared for it, so the picture is terrible. She basically said to look to my left, which I did, and then informed me the picture was done. Surprise! I asked if I could look at it and maybe retake it, since I didn't even know she took it, but she said it was fine. When I got the card, I discovered that "fine" must be a relative term...
My picture is terrible too. I asked if it is good but did not request to see it. Now I have to go with it for 5 years.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
I was brough to a dvd player with 7" screen when I was interviewed in mid November at SFO. No walk through of using kiosk. I guess that the video replaces the walk-through?
I interviewed in August of 2011, and I was shown the video.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I just got my conditional approval and the next available interview date @SFO is in 3 months (?!) Is this typical?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I just got my conditional approval and the next available interview date @SFO is in 3 months (?!) Is this typical?
wait times have gotten longer as the program has gotten more popular (especially with PreCheck). The best option is to check frequently for close in dates opening up -- quite common to occur. Alternative is to look for openings elsewhere if you have a long layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.