Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: EXP
GE is fantastic. The real treat is to arrive with carry-on only and slide through immigration and customs in 3 to 5 mins and catch that earlier connecting flight to your destination.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Plat, Hoping VX will create a better elite plan
Even better: with GE and only a carry-on, I was in a cab home less than 60 seconds from entering the customs area at ORD (after that eternal walk from the gate). Yes, I actually checked my watch.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:59 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Have GE too, love it. Hasn't saved me a ton of time (yet), but I'm a GE newbie and have only used it twice so far.

Originally Posted by ~tc~
I understand it can take a few months to get the appointment for the interview. Should I apply now?
If appointment times run long at your home airport, consider a lesser wait time in another city. I don't have the luxury of being within 100 miles of a GE office (MBS does have a Customs facility, but certainly no GE at the small airport). Anyway, I booked a little longer layover on a trip and did it at ORD. My other options included driving 2 hours to DTW, or hitting another city like LAX or SFO on the beginning/end of a different trip.

Anyway, I landed at ORD, left Terminal 1, took the tram to T5...Arrived a half hour early for my appointment, was seen in 10 minutes. The whole 'interview' took maybe a half hour, went back to T1, re-cleared security and caught my next flight. The agent who interviewed me, her family has property in my area--we spent most of the interview time talking about the area. ^

You are not geographically restricted to certain CBP offices based on your residence...Consider another city if it's a shorter wait time or more convenient based on your travels.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec

You are not geographically restricted to certain CBP offices based on your residence...Consider another city if it's a shorter wait time or more convenient based on your travels.
Good advice. You can interview at any CBP office listed for GE, it does not have to be the closest.

It is a pretty good way to eat up some layover time at an airport that has the office on site.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe
FYI....if anyone travels to Canada relatively frequently, Nexus, which is the joint Canada/US trusted traveler program, costs half as much as GE, and now includes GE membership.
Oh, wow! I travel to Canada quite a bit, this would be a great deal then!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:14 pm

In fact, I just did this when I went to Vancouver. The actual interview, fingerprints, and iris scan took all of 20 minutes.

This thread answered most of my questions: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...is-canada.html
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by 1kwannabe
and cudoos to UA for doing this.
yes, kudos.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Is there any info on how this works (or will work)?
Hopefully they'll offer something else to all of their European frequent fliers who can't take advantage of this.

(Maintaining the free club membership would be just fine ^)
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by rruaco
Hopefully they'll offer something else to all of their European frequent fliers who can't take advantage of this.

(Maintaining the free club membership would be just fine ^)
Yeah! Make it a choice so that I could pick the free club membership over GE.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
If you already have GE, go back onto their site and order a Sentri card (I think it's called). It expedites you in from Canada and Mexico by land (not air - still need the passport with the sticker).

I'm hoping that when the Trusted Traveler program goes nationwide (currently in pilot at DTW, ATL, MIA, DFW), this card will be accepted as ID for that program as well to get through airport security faster.

By the way, I did come through EWR C one morning and the Kiosks weren't working (none of them). We just went through the Diplomat lane (the wait was less time than it took to fill out the paper form, which we had to do). I didn't have to wait as long, since I keep a fully filled out form (except for the date and flight number) in case this happens.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I'm hoping that when the Trusted Traveler program goes nationwide (currently in pilot at DTW, ATL, MIA, DFW), this card will be accepted as ID for that program as well to get through airport security faster.
I thought they were renaming that the "Instant Security Hole Program"?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
seriously though.. the idea is good although flawed...
I am an Aussie living in the USA... I would, at an instant, sight up for a program that invaded all my life (HEHE! Try apply for a US Visa and THEN complain of invasion of privacy tweeps!) in exchange for easy transit through US USIC checkpoints...

Seriously, nothing to hide, but I get damn sick of saying it every time...

Ditto domestically... here is all my PII, investigate the buggery out of me and then just let me keep my shoes on and my laptop in my bag and I am a happy chap...

But then I am a foreign national so all cards are off the table!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis

Only US citizens (and PRs perhaps - can't remember), Mexican citizens and Canadian Citizens who are Nexus members are eligible. Members of a similar Dutch program can also get GE. If you're an Aussie citizen only, than GE won't be available for you.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Not true! If you have a Green Card/are a permanent resident, you qualify. I've had GE/GA (Global Access) with a Green Card for several years and it's a huge timesaver, particularly at IAD, as others have noted.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Global Entry benefit for Platinums and 1Ks

Just saw this in Hemispheres but can't seem to find any more information about it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.