Wiki Posts
Search

Doubles (Alcohol Drinks) OK or Not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; SPG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Doubles (Alcohol Drinks) OK or Not?

What is the policy for serving "doubles?" A bit of background...

On a two- to three-hour flight I typically have a can of seltzer water (ah, I miss LaCroix!) after departure, then dinner, then a double Jack Daniels. About once every three or four months, a flight attendant will not serve a double. (I fly nearly every week of the year, so it's actually rare when this happens.)

I like a double because a) it's the right ratio of ice and booze; b) it's often impossible, even in business or first (where I'm almost always sitting) to get the attention of a flight attendant without walking up to the galley.

I never get belligerent (I have almost two million BIS miles on UA going back to the 70's), and I rarely ask for more than a single double. I am very polite, always saying please and thank you. I always thank the flight attendants for their service as I depart the aircraft.

Is the "no doubles" rule an FAA rule or a United policy? If either, why is it largely ignored? Whenever I'm denied a double, I assume I'm the victim of an over zealous prohibitionist wanting to impose his or her morals on me.

For what it's worth, I've *never* been denied a double on an Asian or European airline.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:08 pm

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
United policy is to serve one at a time.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I can't remember ever asking for a "double", so I will be of little help in that regard.

I can tell you I have been served a "double" numerous times without asking for it. Usually when I ask for scotch on the first drink service on a TPAC.

Much appreciated as it helps the OTC sleep aid work that much better. Even better when it is a Glenlivet.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aluminum tubing
United policy is to serve one at a time.
This may be so.

I would say one in five times or so I'm proactively offered a double. And I would say, yes please.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
I don't think I've ever asked for or been offered a double when in F or C, but I have ordered two of the mini bottles at a time when in coach

In the club, I ask for doubles all the time and never have a problem getting it
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 510k miles, DL 600,000 lifetime
According to the FA's I have dealt with, it is an FAA regulation. It either is or the FA's on the various flights have all been brainwashed into this line. The first time this happened was about 18 months ago and it has been pretty consistent on UA. They said they could be fined for violating this 'rule.' The only flight I took on DL they had no problem with giving me two at once.

I will pay for a double, the FA gives me one, then comes back a couple minutes later with my second one. Or, I goto the Tower Lounge in FRA (Awesome lounge BTW) and pour my own double and bypass the 14 dollah charge in E+.

Ya roll with it.

tim in san jose
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
I typically only request a double when flying in Y on a long transpac (as if there's such a thing as a "short" transpac). I don't use them both in one drink, but I do drink them in one sitting by splitting them along with one can of whatever mixer I choose. This method typically gives me four plastic cup sized drinks, with each one getting ~half of a bottle of hooch.

I like requesting doubles because it saves me from having to wait for either the FA's to finish dinner service (so I can walk back to the galley to ask for another), or worse yet, waiting for the second beverage service (which on many flights doesn't even exist in Y).

IME, I get shot down maybe 1 out of every 5 times I ask. Although sometimes I will be served the double along with a healthy dose of "I'm not really supposed to do this...". But I have also had the occasional FA who hands over two bottles without a prompt, which is always welcomed with a genuine "thank you very much".
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I've been flying SNA-SFO several times over the past two months. Even though it's a short hop, I've been offered several doubles without asking.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You should fly US. It's almost standard to get a double on US.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Yes, I do belong in this line even though I do not look the part.
I like that. That's me. Tall, scruffy guy in a t-shirt and jeans. When I flew DL, I use to get UGs all the time and many a uptight business man would walk past me and wonder how the heck I got upgraded (or paid) for F. Now it's just the people in the 'Elite" line who wonder.

tim in san jose
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
As with so many other aspects of on board service, there is inconstancy with this issue. If I am on a longer flight in Y that departs during cocktail hour, I will usually order a double just to save having to request a second drink. Most of the time it isn't a problem. Actually, the only time I can recall being refused was on a TATL flight where a very "by the book" FA refused my request citing the FAA rule.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by channa
You should fly US. It's almost standard to get a double on US.
Yeah... but you have to fly US.

No thanks,

tim in san jose
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
When I used to fly INTL F, I always ended the meal service with a request for a double amaretto on the rocks and never was denied...
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My experience in F/C is varied.

Sometimes they bring a drink that you can tell has two minis in it from the smell alone.

Sometimes they bring a drink that is clearly one mini plus a bunch of tonic.

Sometimes they bring the drink mixed with one mini and also bring the rest of the can and another mini at the same time.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
I sometimes ask for a "Bloody Mary with a little extra Mary" and it gets a chuckle out of the FA, followed by "you want extra vodka on the side?" Almost like a double drink I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.