Wiki Posts
Search

Is the "United Club" worth it for 2012?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
Can I ask if this is a personal choice on your part to fly *A for your INTL travel post March 2012 or is it a company policy change? If you don't mind sharing, of course.
Personal choice due to Mileage Plus reducing bonus miles for Gold and E+ access for Silver, and making upgrades much harder for even 1K. That moves all my family travel off UA onto SQ*.

For business travel too, I will strongly consider SQ. I never once looked at anything but UA. That period of time is over. (I can pick anyone as long as fare is within reason of lowest available fare)

March 2012 (+/-) is when the new worse rules go into effect for MP

* ANA would be an option, but UA pockets 50% on the Japan routes, I don't want them to collect a penny. So SQ it is.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Personal choice due to Mileage Plus reducing bonus miles for Gold and E+ access for Silver, and making upgrades much harder for even 1K. That moves all my family travel off UA onto SQ*.

For business travel too, I will strongly consider SQ. I never once looked at anything but UA. That period of time is over. (I can pick anyone as long as fare is within reason of lowest available fare)

March 2012 (+/-) is when the new worse rules go into effect for MP

* ANA would be an option, but UA pockets 50% on the Japan routes, I don't want them to collect a penny. So SQ it is.
It will be an interesting trend to see what happens as UA loses non-US based premium travellers. I suspect this has been a large revenue segment they've been taking for granted.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I'm definitely not renewing in December. I've found that of my last ten trips, I only went in the RCC once or twice.

Seating? Nothing special.
WiFi? Have a hotspot on my phone.
Drinks? Not a fan of the free stuff. Drinkable beer and wine costs, and better is often had outside the club.
Irrops access to agents? This is the ONE thing that gave me pause - but I often arrange my alternate plans via 1K line anyway. Will continue to do that.

I doubt I'm really going to miss it much.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Greetings:

For me, I do a good many transcons and then straight to work off the red-eye. The UCs are almost a necessity. The showers in the UCs (well, the legacy PCs in IAH and EWR) are crucial for my productivity (and mental health)

Safe Travels
I did this every Monday morning for 4 months in EWR, and now I'm doing the same in ATL... so I had to buy a sky club membership too. I consider both a bargain and the free booze and live service in irrops are just bonuses
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Drinks? Not a fan of the free stuff. Drinkable beer and wine costs, and better is often had outside the club.
While I agree you can definitely find some quality wine/beer outside the club, the "local" complimentary beer is generally decent.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I often arrange my alternate plans via 1K line anyway.
I went to the SEA RCC on a Priority Pass card a few years ago, had a canceled flight and the agent refused to help. She said I had to call the 1P line.
I left wondering what the value was of joining the RCC and have never joined it.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I went to the SEA RCC on a Priority Pass card a few years ago, had a canceled flight and the agent refused to help. She said I had to call the 1P line.
I left wondering what the value was of joining the RCC and have never joined it.
That's odd. I have usually had great results getting rerouted at a RCC. Was it specifically because of the priority pass?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I'm going to guess that this is because you inquired at the front desk? The check-in dragons are supposed to avoid helping with irrops so they can efficiently get people into the club. The back-desk is usually for irrops. I may be misinterpreting your experience but I would be surprised if you were refused service by one of the dedicated CS agents in the club. That would be rather unfortunate.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I previously used the US Air $250 special, but when it expired earlier this month I bought the 3 year pclub deal ($975 for Premier Golds) after I mentally counted 11 visits with no other entry criteria (Intl/*A) in the next 4 months.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm going to guess that this is because you inquired at the front desk? The check-in dragons are supposed to avoid helping with irrops so they can efficiently get people into the club. The back-desk is usually for irrops. I may be misinterpreting your experience but I would be surprised if you were refused service by one of the dedicated CS agents in the club. That would be rather unfortunate.
No...SEA only has the front desk however I don't remember them ever accepting priority pass. They have also been the most helpful RCC agents I have ever dealt with.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Without either service improvements or bonuses/rate reductions for doing so, I will not be renewing my "United Club" membership when it expires later this year. My answer (YMMV, of course) is NO, it is not worth it (as it stands now) for me in 2012.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
That's odd. I have usually had great results getting rerouted at a RCC. Was it specifically because of the priority pass?
I believe she said everyone should use the phone. Turned out I got a better flight on AS via 1p line anyway, so again I didn't see the big deal about the club.
Maybe she was just having a bad day...
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by andyh64000
No...SEA only has the front desk however I don't remember them ever accepting priority pass. They have also been the most helpful RCC agents I have ever dealt with.
Thanks for jogging my memory, it's been over a year since I've been in that lair beneath the escalators.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Thanks for jogging my memory, it's been over a year since I've been in that lair beneath the escalators.
It's more of a cave I think (and I am typing this from it).
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Hostile Reception in RCC Con F

I have been an RCC member for over 10 years.
I found value in the membership during irregular operations.

Yesterday(Wedndsday) I changed my mind:
ORD was hell post messy Tuesday rain storms.
I entered the RCC next to Conc F gate 2 at 12:59PM. There were customers in line by the counter. The matron looked at me obliquely - a "dirty look" - and announced loudly: "There is no more space in this lounge. Try to walk to lounges in Conc B."
I sensed nothing but anger and hostility.
I did what I was told - got out of this lounge.
Thank you United!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.