Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the "United Club" worth it for 2012?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
The two recent email invitations to join the United Club - using $ and using miles - have touted "Complimentary bar service" in 2012. While this is outside the scope of the OP's (non-alcohol) inquiry, for others looking to this thread for thoughts, this seemed a material expansion of former RCC benefits. Or did I miss the day when adult beverages became free at RCCs? They were not, at one time, so I've always assumed that they were not.

From the email:
With a United Club annual membership, you'll receive great benefits and exclusive privileges to enjoy inside the airport:

• Complimentary bar service, light snacks and beverages
• Business amenities including Wi-Fi, workstations and conference rooms
• Assistance with reservations, seat selection upgrades and boarding passes
• And more

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind
The two recent email invitations to join the United Club - using $ and using miles - have touted "Complimentary bar service" in 2012. While this is outside the scope of the OP's (non-alcohol) inquiry, for others looking to this thread for thoughts, this seemed a material expansion of former RCC benefits. Or did I miss the day when adult beverages became free at RCCs? They were not, at one time, so I've always assumed that they were not.

From the email:
You missed it. Happened as part of the alignment between RCCs & PCs earlier this year (March perhaps?). Sure someone will come along with the exact timing.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
You missed it. Happened as part of the alignment between RCCs & PCs earlier this year (March perhaps?). Sure someone will come along with the exact timing.
No. No need for anyone else to ring in. It happened, and indeed, I did. Thank you, ORD-LIH.

Seems to me that when people say that club benefits are eroding, this contradicts that. And I can see how someone could easily drink close to $500-worth in a year, or at least $350-worth.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
The CS lines in the terminal are scary. I have no choice but to buy lounge access.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I agree with the usefulness of the clubs in irregular ops. I remember my flight in late August when I cleared the former diamond line at IAD and saw an enormous line of people waiting in CS. It was not even past 10:15 am, but the line had about 80-100 people.

I know some people say calling United is good enough for rebooking in irregular ops if you are a 1P-1K member, but I always prefer to do it in the airport club since the phone lines can get long if things are really bad.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by Firewind
No. No need for anyone else to ring in. It happened, and indeed, I did. Thank you, ORD-LIH.

Seems to me that when people say that club benefits are eroding, this contradicts that. And I can see how someone could easily drink close to $500-worth in a year, or at least $350-worth.
So if you don't drink it's not worth it.
I've been a member for 16 years and I passed this time around
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:12 pm

OK, here's your answer

Assumption: You are based in LAX. You should not be beholden to UA, but rather you should play the field.

With the above assumption:

- Get the AMEX Plat card. Access to DL and AA clubs with a BP, access to US clubs under any circumstances.

- AMEX Plat offers a $200 travel credit. They'll reimburse you for $200 worth of spend on your selected airline. Buy 5 one day passes for the United Club @ $39 each, AMEX reimburses you.

Yes, the AMEX Plat is $450 a year, but with the above strategy and assumption, it seems to me like a very cost effective way for you to make your travel more pleasant.

AMEX PLat also offers a bunch of other benefits that I have also found useful throughout my first year of membership.

Last edited by LarkSFO; Oct 20, 2011 at 11:10 pm
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Assumption: You are based in LAX. You should not be beholden to UA, but rather you should play the field.

With the above assumption:

- Get the AMEX Plat card. Access to DL and AA clubs with a BP, access to US clubs under any circumstances.

- AMEX Plat offers a $200 travel credit. They'll reimburse you for $200 worth of spend on your selected airline. Buy 5 one day passes @ $39 each, AMEX reimburses you.

Yes, the AMEX Plat is $450 a year, but with the above strategy and assumption, it seems to me like a very cost effective way for you to make your travel more pleasant.

AMEX PLat also offers a bunch of other benefits that I have also found useful throughout my first year of membership.
I've been an AMEX Plat for over 15 years. As I fly the IAH->EWR->YYZ roundtrip at least twice a month, the (now gone) free access to club was one of the major benefits to the cost of the Amex card. I got an offer in the mail for the Continental PP card (which includes club access) with the first years fee waived. Waiting for that to process now, but if I need to get into a club in the mean time, I'm going to use the Amex $200 credit instead. After the year, I'll reevaluate things and see what my business travel looks like and make a club decision then.

I will say, I find the club access very useful, nice place to do some on-the-road work, free wifi and free beverages (non-alcohol). Since I don't drink the free alcohol beverages does not add any value for me. The snacks have definitely gone down hill. I miss my potato chips and cracker spread.

Cheers,
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by drowelf
I've been an AMEX Plat for over 15 years. As I fly the IAH->EWR->YYZ roundtrip at least twice a month, the (now gone) free access to club was one of the major benefits to the cost of the Amex card. I got an offer in the mail for the Continental PP card (which includes club access) with the first years fee waived. Waiting for that to process now, but if I need to get into a club in the mean time, I'm going to use the Amex $200 credit instead. After the year, I'll reevaluate things and see what my business travel looks like and make a club decision then.

I will say, I find the club access very useful, nice place to do some on-the-road work, free wifi and free beverages (non-alcohol). Since I don't drink the free alcohol beverages does not add any value for me. The snacks have definitely gone down hill. I miss my potato chips and cracker spread.

Cheers,
My assumption does not hold true for you (Houston) or me (SFO), both United strongholds...

In your case, I would do what you did. Get the PP. Think hard about whether $450 / year for the AMEX Plat makes sense anymore...

A few people here have mentioned that they don't drink, and so don't value the free alcohol on offer... Well, I do drink, and I also don't value the cr*p they offer you for nothing! I'll pay the $6 and get a good beer rather than drink the free swill...

Free alcohol at the clubs is not something that attracts me to them...
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drowelf
For the record, you should get lounge access gratis as a *G to/from Canada. Not sure if that only applies to the gateway airport or all airports on your itinerary, as with other international trips.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The lack of exclusive red carpet boarding access for GS/1K/F/C means I need to be at the gate sooner than in the past. As a result, I will not be renewing membership when it comes up in a few months.

It was already trending towards non-renewal, the above just made it a done deal.

Most of my travel is overseas (and will no longer be on UA metal by March 2012) so I'll have *A lounge access anyway.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Most of my travel is overseas (and will no longer be on UA metal by March 2012) so I'll have *A lounge access anyway.
Can I ask if this is a personal choice on your part to fly *A for your INTL travel post March 2012 or is it a company policy change? If you don't mind sharing, of course.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not Worth It

I've come to the conclusion after many years that it's just not worth the cost.

1. IRROPS - My corporate TA has 24/7 service so I call them in IRROPS and they get everything from rebooking to hotels and the like sorted out and call me back. If I didn't have the TA, I would buy a day pass and then use the Club.

2. TIME - I time things so I don't have much down time at airports. Once in a while, I get stuck for a while and when I do, I would buy a day pass or go to a decent restaurant. Bet that's 3-4x / year.

3. CLUB? - I just don't see value in RCC/PC/UC.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Greetings:

For me, I do a good many transcons and then straight to work off the red-eye. The UCs are almost a necessity. The showers in the UCs (well, the legacy PCs in IAH and EWR) are crucial for my productivity (and mental health)

Safe Travels
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
That's an individual decison for you to make, not us.

1. At how many airports will you being in 2012 in which there is a UC presence?

2. Are you the type of passenger who shows up 45 mins before departure and then leaves the airport after a one-sgment flight?

3. Do you show up 2+ hours before ETD?

4. Do you often have lay-overs?

5. Do you often fly on segments that are impacted by weather delays?

We can't answer this for you.

K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.