Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Oct 2018 - Significant fare class changes with the introduction of new premium economy fares ("Premium Plus") and the elimination of 3-class F.
Related threads
3-class First seats now considered Domestic F/Polaris Business & selectable by 1K/GSs
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Revenue buckets
J - Full Fare Business
C - Discount Business
D - Discount Business
Z - Deep Discount Business
P - Deep Discount Business
O - Full Fare PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
A - Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
R - Deep Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
Y - Full Fare Coach
B - Full Fare Coach
M - Discount Coach
E - Discount Coach
U - Discount Coach
H - Discount Coach
Q - Discount Coach
V - Discount Coach
W - Deep Discount Coach
S - Deep Discount Coach
T - Deep Discount Coach
L - Deep Discount Coach
K - Deep Discount Coach
G - Deep Discount Coach
N - Basic Economy

Saver Award Inventory
IN - Elite (Plat/1K/GS) Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
I - Non-Elite and Low Elite Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award. Also available to Chase Gateway, Explorer, Quest, and United Club Visa cardholders as an undocumented benefit
X - Non-Elite Saver Coach Award

"Everyday" Award Inventory
JN - Elite/CC Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (may be open to all MP members )
ZN - Non-Elite Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (tracks to the Z bucket) (not clear if still used for award travel). Also used for buy-up upgrade offered at check-in. May be a factor in Skip-the-Waitliist availability
ON - Everyday PremiumPlus (Premium Economy) Award
YN - Elite/CC Everyday Coach Award (may be open to all MP members)
HN - Non-Elite Everyday Coach Award (tracks to the H bucket) (not clear this is still used)

Upgrade Inventory
PN - Y/B/M 1K Instant Upgrades (CPU eligible routes only); All GS sponsored upgrades Y->J (CPU, PlusPoints, miles)
PZ - Upgrades to Polaris Business, United Business, or United First (excepting GS sponsored upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades)
RN - Upgrades to Premium Plus

Points earning for all upgrades is based on the originally purchased fare. Also see below.

Upgrades Note that upgraded flights will post to your MileagePlus statement as Z(X) where the second letter (X) is the original booking class. The parenthetical letter defines the earning rate for the flight as points are earned based on the original booking class.

How to read inventory numbers:
Why does J8C5D3Z0P0 mean?
The zero inventory is easy to explain, UA is presently unwilling to sell tickets using inventory in that fare class.
Does J8C5D3 mean there are 16 seats for sale? No -- there are just 8 available seats.
Inventory in a fare class is not additive but the lower fare classes are subsets of the higher fare classes
If UA sells / upgrades 1 seat in the premium fare class, the Inventory will like change to J7C4D2.
The J inventory is the total number of seats for sale in business/first. While C,D,Z, P ... are the number of seats UA is willing to sell in those lower fare classes
Going back to J8C5D3Z0P0, if you want 4 seats on a single PNR, you will have to purchase C fare, as there isn't enough inventory for D fare for everyone on the PNR and everyone on a common PNR must have the same fare class / fare basis.

In some cases, if a lower cabin is oversold, UA will then block, remove from inventory in the higher cabin to protect against the oversale.
Note the largest number for a UA fare class in public displays is 9 (some airlines limit to just 4), this prevents revealing too much information to the competitors or the public.

Award and upgrade inventory are also subsets on their respective cabin inventory

Management of inventory and maximizing revenue is the role of Revenue Management (RM), a highly secretive, proprietary operation of the airlines -- So inventory changes (within the physical limitations of the aircraft) will be dynamic and can change without notice as determine by RM

Archive thread: Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
JN is used for Business and 2-cabin First Standard Awards for pax with any Premier status or those with a qualifying Chase card. (With no Premier status and no CC, the class is ZN.)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For more on which award inventory is available to credit card holders, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...dit-cards.html
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
JN bucket fare

Thank you for all the good info-how do I get the JN bucket? Do I , as with R (for example), simply buy the ticket then request the upgrade by phone or online? Or do I have to go onto a different screen for travel awards?
How do I find the JN fare?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pbh220
...Thank you for all the good info-how do I get the JN bucket? ...
JN is an award -- you book via the award flight search. It will show up under the Business EveryDay Award column while cheaper business saver awards (I/IN when available) will be in the Business Saver Award column.

..Do I , as with R (for example), simply buy the ticket then request the upgrade by phone or online? ....
R is an upgrade fare class which you can request or be waitlisted for after you purchase a economy ticket.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
Help me I'm drowning here: I found 9 JN qualified seats with expert mode: are these upgradeable seats or simply PQS---I searched for an economy eligible business upgrade for the itinerary, found the economy eligible but then website said NO UPGRADES. So what does it mean when expert mode shows JN availability?? Are they actually upgrades (looking for economy>business)
So where do I go on the website to capture 2 of the 9 JN seats?
Thank you for your patience.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:07 pm

Help me I'm drowning here: I found 9 JN qualified seats with expert mode: are these upgradeable seats or simply PQS---I searched for an economy eligible business upgrade for the itinerary, found the economy eligible but then website said NO UPGRADES. So what does it mean when expert mode shows JN availability?? Are they actually upgrades (looking for economy>business)
So where do I go on the website to capture 2 of the 9 JN seats?
Thank you for your patience.
JN is not an upgrade fare class, generally for upgrades you want R.
JN is an EveryDay award fare class for tickets purchased with all miles. and as an EveryDay award, it takes 2x or more miles than a Saver business award.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:59 am

As has been noticed by many, UA has appeared to many a number of fare class changes on 19-20 October 2018.

For now let's focus the discussion on the changes in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...er-2018-a.html

At some point when this is more fully understood, there will likely be a need for a new "Decoding the alphabet" thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Quick question - is is still W minimum purchase for GPU? And I need to be looking for IN now instead of R? Just making sure I have this correct. Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: UA GS, QF Plat, Marriot/SPG Plat, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Quick question - is is still W minimum purchase for GPU? And I need to be looking for IN now instead of R? Just making sure I have this correct. Thanks!
yes on the “W” minimum. GPU’s for non GS clear to PZ, so look for PZ space.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I v's IN

I've got an upcoming award booking, EDI-EWR-SFO, booked in economy (YN, one of their variable price awards), and waitlisted for business.

The second leg (EWR-SFO) is waitlisted in "IN", which makes sense given IN>I.

However the first left (EDI-EWR) is only waitlisted in "I", which potentially means that if IN availability does appear (without "I" also appearing) I'll miss out. This is a UA metal flight (not partner), and obviously booked using the UA flight number.

Whilst in the SFO Polaris lounge a few days ago I asked one of the staff there, and she had no idea of the difference, but to her credit she called their help desk who explained to her that it was correct, and that it had to do with the difference between international and domestic flights and the types of planes used.

Am I missing something here? Why would IN not be a valid class on an international leg (after all, my SFO-FRA on the outbound is booked in "IN")? I'm not sure I've ever seen IN actually be non-zero when "I" was zero so I don't think it really matters, but at least on principle shouldn't the waitlist be in IN?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
I've got an upcoming award booking, EDI-EWR-SFO, booked in economy (YN, one of their variable price awards), and waitlisted for business.

However the first left (EDI-EWR) is only waitlisted in "I", which potentially means that if IN availability does appear (without "I" also appearing) I'll miss out. This is a UA metal flight (not partner), and obviously booked using the UA flight number.

Whilst in the SFO Polaris lounge a few days ago I asked one of the staff there, and she had no idea of the difference, but to her credit she called their help desk who explained to her that it was correct, and that it had to do with the difference between international and domestic flights and the types of planes used.

Am I missing something here? Why would IN not be a valid class on an international leg (after all, my SFO-FRA on the outbound is booked in "IN")? I'm not sure I've ever seen IN actually be non-zero when "I" was zero so I don't think it really matters, but at least on principle shouldn't the waitlist be in IN?
Some others are more expert than I with award travel, but I believe you should be waitlisted for IN if the miles came from 1K or Platinum account. IN is elite saver and I is non-elite saver. The int'l v. dom. distinction is not relevant.

As you note, it may be academic. Also when booking with eligibility for IN, the booked class may (likely will) be I anyway, but that should not affect your waitlist request.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:51 am

Has is always been the case that Expert Mode will not show available fare classes when searching for an award ticket? I was going crazy this week trying to "fix" my expert mode display settings, but they finally showed up when I searched for a cash ticket.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
Has is always been the case that Expert Mode will not show available fare classes when searching for an award ticket? I was going crazy this week trying to "fix" my expert mode display settings, but they finally showed up when I searched for a cash ticket.
When the new horrible website came out it would show expert mode (fare buckets) when searching for award tickets. That quickly went away and has been missing for many many months. So the only way to see fare class availability via expert mode is to search for a revenue ticket.

-RM
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
I believe you should be waitlisted for IN if the miles came from 1K or Platinum account. IN is elite saver and I is non-elite saver. The int'l v. dom. distinction is not relevant.
The waitlist should be for IN. I've done this multiple times, the agents are full of you know what.

IN vs. I can actually make a difference these days.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by docbert

You are correct that you should be waitlisted for IN, assuming 1K/Plat miles. However, you are not permitted to confirm YN and waitlist IN (you must confirm XN) so I would be hesitant about trying to get this fixed.

Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
Award searches used to show inventory in Expert Mode, but it has been well over a year since that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.