Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 31, 22, 12:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Oct 2018 - Significant fare class changes with the introduction of new premium economy fares ("Premium Plus") and the elimination of 3-class F.

Revenue buckets
J - Full Fare Business
C - Discount Business
D - Discount Business
Z - Deep Discount Business
P - Deep Discount Business
O - Full Fare PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
A - Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
R - Deep Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
Y - Full Fare Coach
B - Full Fare Coach
M - Discount Coach
E - Discount Coach
U - Discount Coach
H - Discount Coach
Q - Discount Coach
V - Discount Coach
W - Deep Discount Coach
S - Deep Discount Coach
T - Deep Discount Coach
L - Deep Discount Coach
K - Deep Discount Coach
G - Deep Discount Coach
N - Basic Economy

Saver Award Inventory
IN - Elite (Plat/1K/GS) Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
I - Non-Elite and Low Elite Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award. Also available to Chase Explorer and Club cardholders as an undocumented benefit
X - Non-Elite Saver Coach Award

"Everyday" Award Inventory
JN - Elite/CC Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (may be open to all MP members )
ZN - Non-Elite Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (tracks to the Z bucket). Also used for buy-up upgrade offered at check-in.
ON - Everyday PremiumPlus (Premium Economy) Award
YN - Elite/CC Everyday Coach Award (may be open to all MP members)
HN - Non-Elite Everyday Coach Award (tracks to the H bucket)

Upgrade Inventory
PN - Y/B/M 1K Instant Upgrades (CPU eligible routes only); All GS upgrades Y->J (CPU, RPU, GPU, miles)
PZ - Upgrades to Polaris Business, United Business, or United First (excepting GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades)
RN - Upgrades to Premium Plus

Points earning for all upgrades is based on the originally purchased fare. Also see below.

Upgrades Note that upgraded flights will post to your MileagePlus statement as Z(X) where the second letter (X) is the original booking class. The parenthetical letter defines the earning rate for the flight as points are earned based on the original booking class.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 19, 21, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
PremPlus paid fares are O, A, R (R is the most discount)

RN is "saver" PremPlus award space (not sure if this actually available)
ON is "everyday" PremPlus award space

RN is also used for Economy to PremPlus upgrades
RN is only upgrade space. There's no such thing as a saver Premium Plus award.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 21, 1:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
RN is only upgrade space. There's no such thing as a saver Premium Plus award.
There have been a few mentions of such but very few -- almost all mentions of PremPlus award space have been ON, so I am inclined to agree and suspect the 1 or 2 RN mentions were in error. Did not include it in the wiki but mentioned the uncertainty in the post to see if there are any examples.

Makes sense in the long run with variable dynamic pricing is for there to be only one award fare class per cabin.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 19, 21, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Makes sense in the long run with variable dynamic pricing is for there to be only one award fare class per cabin.
Does it? AC's dynamic pricing will sell you anything from Y down to X, depending on availability.
Old Aug 19, 21, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Does it? AC's dynamic pricing will sell you anything from Y down to X, depending on availability.
That's just a different approach to the same basic pricing model.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 21, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Here is a handy chart of UA fare buckets I use all the time: https://cwsi.net/united.htm

The site also lists codes of other carriers.
Old Aug 19, 21, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Here is a handy chart of UA fare buckets I use all the time: https://cwsi.net/united.htm .....
That site has been notorious behind / out of date at times. AND STILL IS, such as
listing PQM and PQS today -- not used for multiple years,
"C to F on 3-cabin aircraft"
B listed as Premium Economy
Confusing comments on Basic Economy -- referring to "United Basic Economy (highest revenue fare)" and then mixing N domestic comments with International BE
"Elite/CC EasyPass Coach Award." == 10 year old terminology used by premerger CO, not by UA
as is the term "Saver Pass"
RN -- Premier instant upgrade (from Y/B) for Premier Plat/Gold/Silver;

Just a few of the errors I got in a couple of minutes reviewing the site.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 19, 21, 7:14 pm

That site has been notorious behind / out of date at times. AND STILL IS, such as
listing PQM and PQS today -- not used for multiple years,
"C to F on 3-cabin aircraft"
B listed as Premium Economy
Confusing comments on Basic Economy -- referring to "United Basic Economy (highest revenue fare)" and then mixing N domestic comments with International BE
"Elite/CC EasyPass Coach Award." == 10 year old terminology used by premerger CO, not by UA
as is the term "Saver Pass"
RN -- Premier instant upgrade (from Y/B) for Premier Plat/Gold/Silver;

Just a few of the errors I got in a couple of minutes reviewing the site.
not to nitpick too much, but i think for B they are using premium as an adjective to modify economy, just as Y is referred to as first tier economy. i grant that it is unnecessarily confusing tho!
Old Aug 19, 21, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by benjymessner View Post
not to nitpick too much, but i think for B they are using premium as an adjective to modify economy, just as Y is referred to as first tier economy. i grant that it is unnecessarily confusing tho!
No, I think they have confused that PremiumPlus tickets on non-PremiumPlus aircraft book into B (and get E+ access regardless of status). Either way, agree it is confusing, as the term has a well established meaning..

Regardless, the fact the site has regularly full of errors has been discussed on FT since pre-merger, 10 years ago. It comes up every so often and it always seems to be years behind. I have a couple of times notified the site admin of those errors but after a couple of series of feedback, I gave up --- not going to spend my time helping a revenue-generating site. Have no idea if it does better with other airlines

More errors, further down the page
O - SaverPass 3-cabin First Award
ON - C to F on 3-cabin aircraft
PN - B/M-Up for Elites (tracks to the P bucket);
R - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F (except GS)
RN - This has recently been reported to be internal-use only, not elite upgrades.
Comments on mileage earning are back in the PQM days -- 5 years out of date.
Old Oct 7, 21, 5:50 pm

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
Upgrade Codes

What are the 2021 upgrade codes (found in expert mode inventory) for econ>bz upgrades?

Thank you!
Old Oct 7, 21, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pbh220 View Post
What are the 2021 upgrade codes (found in expert mode inventory) for econ>bz upgrades?

Thank you!
PZ / PN
Old Oct 8, 21, 5:31 pm

Decoding Alphabet Soup WIKI

Can someone please get me a link to this WIKI, so I can see the Upgrade Inventory Codes?
What upgrade does "R" signify? Is there still an R/PZ and if so what inventory does this signify?

Thank you.
Old Oct 8, 21, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Smile

Can someone please get me a link to this WIKI, so I can see the Upgrade Inventory Codes?
What upgrade does "R" signify? Is there still an R/PZ and if so what inventory does this signify?

Thank you.

https://cwsi.net/united.htm
Old Oct 8, 21, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by surram View Post
That site is notoriously inaccurate and out of date, a few weeks ago looked at the site and find multiple errors Please don't recommend

This FT thread's wiki is the most accurate / up to date source of information (and yes I am one of the contributions -- but not the only one)

Thank you.
Oct 2018 UA replace R with PZ -- R is now discount Premium Plus
R is no longer used for upgrade inventory -- PZ is (PN is GS upgrade inventory)
RN (saver) & ON (standard) are the premium Plus upgrade inventory -- if the aircraft has Premium Plus
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

To see the full UA fare alphabet -- see the wiki

To see a flight's fare class inventory you will need Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data.

There is no easy way to search for PZ space over a range of flights or days Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

There is no way to predict for sure if a waitlist upgrade will clear, but various members discuss things the look for in selecting flight [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 21 at 8:56 pm
Old Oct 8, 21, 9:01 pm

Thank you for the current WIKI (Decoding ABC soup...). Please confirm/clarify:

1. Can one upgrade from Econ>Bz? Or only Econ > Prem Plus? If "yes" then can one only upgrade to BZ/First from a PremPlus fare?
2. PZ: can a Premiere Gold upgrade from Econ > Bz/First with this inventory code? Is this inventory limited to specific fare types, if so what are they?
3. Will PZ inventory apply to a Refundable Econ Fare?

Appears UA has severely decreased upgrade inventory, yes?
Old Oct 8, 21, 9:27 pm

1. Can one upgrade from Econ>Bz? Or only Econ > Prem Plus? ...
Either -- not all aircraft have PremPlus
If "yes" then can one only upgrade to BZ/First from a PremPlus fare? ...
You can upgrade to Business / First from standard economy even if there is a PremPlus cabin
2. PZ: can a Premiere Gold upgrade from Econ > Bz/First with this inventory code? ...
Yes from any paid fare -- except Basic economy can be upgraded.
Award flights can not be upgraded except by GS, by elites with certain Chase MP credit cards on CPU routes, and sometimes a cash offer at checkin.
3. Will PZ inventory apply to a Refundable Econ Fare? ...
yes
Appears UA has severely decreased upgrade inventory, yes?
Depends on the route but there has been a long term trend to offer less upgrade space as UA prefers to sell the seat or upgrades for cash

Search this Thread