Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver to Gold in 2 months?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz Five Star, Avis First, SPG Gold,
Silver to Gold in 2 months?

Hey All,

New member, been lurking for a while. Here is my question.

Background:

As of this coming monday, I will have 23 CO segments. I am doing a mileage run to LA the following weekend so will have 27 the following monday 10/24. After that, I will be getting 3 segments a week for business travel.

Question:

Do you think its worth it to go for CO gold status by the end of the year? I'm more than happy to do a few mileage runs if necessary. I know this is "what's worth it to you" kind of question but I'm interested in some differing opinions.

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta,United 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Given the mileage bonus differential and the matter of E+, I myself would go for the gold
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
How much flying are you going to do next year?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz Five Star, Avis First, SPG Gold,
Most likely every week for the majority of the year...unknown at this point if it will be on United but possible.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
before you decide to go for it do some research on the changes that are happening to gold for 2011 to 2012. I know alot of folks who won't strive from silver to gold as gold benefits were diminished for 2012. Also silvers took a hit with regards to E+ and loss of 1 free bag. You may find that AA or DL might be a better fit for you including they have better low and mid-tier elite benefits.

Gold reductions include:
50% rdm bonus (was 100%). various fees have incresed as well. Also on CO you get more than 1 person to ELR seats.(going down to +1 in 2012).
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mitcher4
Hey All,

New member, been lurking for a while. Here is my question.

Background:

As of this coming monday, I will have 23 CO segments. I am doing a mileage run to LA the following weekend so will have 27 the following monday 10/24. After that, I will be getting 3 segments a week for business travel.

Question:

Do you think its worth it to go for CO gold status by the end of the year? I'm more than happy to do a few mileage runs if necessary. I know this is "what's worth it to you" kind of question but I'm interested in some differing opinions.

Thanks
If I read that right, and I like to think I did, you are considering a 33EQS run/ series of runs?

I am an EQS guy -there are a bunch of others around here who make status on EQS. I am a few shy of 90 so I am going to do two small trips but not 33 short!

What type of travel are you doing? What type of flying will you be doing next year? Will you will be on lots of RJ's and smaller flights? If so Sliver may be enough for you to feel 'treated well', if you are flying big mainline routes ie: LAX/SFO-BOS, or LAX/SFO-IAD it will take a lot more than gold status to get you what you’re looking for.

I flew ROC-IAD/ORD-CLT-IAD/ORD-ROC (as 2P) every few weeks for years and felt like a king because I never missed a UDU - It's all about your travel patterns.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Halo117
before you decide to go for it do some research on the changes that are happening to gold for 2011 to 2012. I know alot of folks who won't strive from silver to gold as gold benefits were diminished for 2012. Also silvers took a hit with regards to E+ and loss of 1 free bag. You may find that AA or DL might be a better fit for you including they have better low and mid-tier elite benefits.
I am AA Gold, which is the same as UA 2P, and I just finished a trip DCA-DFW-MEX-DFW-DCA, and I was upgraded 3 out 4 segments. I've been a UA 1P since the summer, and over the last four months I'm barely reaching 50% upgrade success. The DAArk side is looking better and better.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
If I read that right, and I like to think I did, you are considering a 33EQS run/ series of runs?

I am an EQS guy -there are a bunch of others around here who make status on EQS. I am a few shy of 90 so I am going to do two small trips but not 33 short!

What type of travel are you doing? What type of flying will you be doing next year? Will you will be on lots of RJ's and smaller flights? If so Sliver may be enough for you to feel 'treated well', if you are flying big mainline routes ie: LAX/SFO-BOS, or LAX/SFO-IAD it will take a lot more than gold status to get you what you’re looking for.

I flew ROC-IAD/ORD-CLT-IAD/ORD-ROC (as 2P) every few weeks for years and felt like a king because I never missed a UDU - It's all about your travel patterns.
Haha yes you read me right. I'm currently flying EWR-ORF (RJ/Q400s) every week which does not lend itself to miles. I only started travelling for work in August which is why I'm far behind this year. I will probably be continuing this route for the early part of next year but then after that, I could be going anywhere.

I think it may not be worth it to go for gold this year and may make more sense to switch to DL early next year if possible and fly out of LGA/JFK instead.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by halls120
I am AA Gold, which is the same as UA 2P, and I just finished a trip DCA-DFW-MEX-DFW-DCA, and I was upgraded 3 out 4 segments. I've been a UA 1P since the summer, and over the last four months I'm barely reaching 50% upgrade success. The DAArk side is looking better and better.
I am a 1p as well and I don't think I have been upgraded at all this year!
Perhaps once, don't remember exactly, but no more than that.
Granted, a lot of my travel is international, but there is still a fair number of domestic flights.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
i've only missed about 4 upgrades all year. Most have been clearing at the window, the rest at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.