Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA (CO) First 787 Rolls out of the Boeing Factory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA (CO) First 787 Rolls out of the Boeing Factory

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by hamburgoflyer
How's that of advantage to the passenger ?
Fares any lower on these ?
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Lower cabin altitude.

Much greater efficiency.

Pretty big leap ahead in material design and construction.
Lower cabin altitude is, to me, one of the most tangible benefits to the passenger that the 787 brings. There are some pretty significant health benefits to having a lower cabin altitude.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Originally Posted by whimike
Lower cabin altitude is, to me, one of the most tangible benefits to the passenger that the 787 brings. There are some pretty significant health benefits to having a lower cabin altitude.
+1
Not being so dehydrated after a TPAC flight is a huge leap.

Booked 12/3 IAH-ORD, 2/5 IAH-LAX-NRT, 2/28 NRT-LAX
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by joslire
+1
Not being so dehydrated after a TPAC flight is a huge leap.

Booked 12/3 IAH-ORD, 2/5 IAH-LAX-NRT, 2/28 NRT-LAX
I flew the JL 787 NRT-BOS. My fancy chronograph indeed showed a lower cabin altitude (~5500'). But I didn't notice the difference in terms of "easier breathing" or higher humidity. I was still pretty dehydrated.

Once the novelty wears off, for the typical passenger - it's all about the interior. JL's J seat was not very comfortable IMO, and the people in Y didn't look too happy either. And JL's plane is 8-across in Y (18.5" width); UA's is 9-across (17.3" width). [Repeat: It's all about the interior.]
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
As of now they only took delivery of 1 787 right? They would need at least two more to fly these scheduled routes on 11/4. Hope things work out for those who booked IAH-ORD, IAH-EWR or IAH-SFO. I have a seat on 3/31 DEN-NRT so i'm not too worried.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blootch
As of now they only took delivery of 1 787 right? They would need at least two more to fly these scheduled routes on 11/4. Hope things work out for those who booked IAH-ORD, IAH-EWR or IAH-SFO. I have a seat on 3/31 DEN-NRT so i'm not too worried.
The second one had its test flight the other day at the Boeing plant.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Blootch
It should be delivered next week:
Old Oct 23, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by wxguy
I flew the JL 787 NRT-BOS. My fancy chronograph indeed showed a lower cabin altitude (~5500'). But I didn't notice the difference in terms of "easier breathing" or higher humidity. I was still pretty dehydrated.
It's unlikely that you'd notice the cabin altitude differences while on board, but the lower altitude generally decreases the overall fatigue that most passengers feel after a long flight. Personally, I've noticed a pretty dramatic difference on A380 flights that have a similarly low cabin altitude.

The other passenger benefit of the 787 is the new routes that weren't previously profitable ... I think that's actually the best benefit. While inside the plane the passenger might not notice much difference, I absolutely buy in to the hype that for the industry as a whole, this plane and the next-gen aircraft coming soon will be game-changers.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
When aloft, the air pressure in most commercial aircraft is equivalent to the air pressure you would experience being on land at 8,000 feet above sea level. That's relatively thin air and thus a little harder to breathe. It's perfectly safe for most people but some say it's not as comfortable as thicker air. To address this preference, the 787 will be pressurized to the equivalent of being on land at 6,000 feet above sea level.

You might wonder why airplanes aren't pressurized to the comfortable equivalent of sea level. They're not because having all that air pressure inside the aircraft with very little of it outside would stress the structure of the plane like a balloon, possibly catastrophically.

RNE, sure that basement-dwelling aeronautical aficionados will correct my layman's treatise.
Ok thank you... I was wondering where the 8,000 and 6,000 numbers came from.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Just saw a 787 parked at IAH today...beautiful airplane!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
windows

I have heard that it takes about 2 minutes to dim the windows and that they are not opaque at their darkest setting. While the electronic dimmer concept might sound neat, it does not seem like a good idea in practice. It only takes me 2 seconds to pull down the plastic window covers and they are actually opaque.

Anybody know about these issues?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by hooterbif
I have heard that it takes about 2 minutes to dim the windows and that they are not opaque at their darkest setting. While the electronic dimmer concept might sound neat, it does not seem like a good idea in practice. It only takes me 2 seconds to pull down the plastic window covers and they are actually opaque.

I'll check this out next week and let you know.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Saw two 787s this morning at IAH. When did the second get delivered?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by IADOrange
Saw two 787s this morning at IAH. When did the second get delivered?
The other day.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold

I'll tell you on Sunday!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

I've flown the 787 (JL) and also played with a 787 demo system at the Boeing factory. No issues. The windows change pretty quickly, and are certainly dark enough during daylight flights. This might not be a "game changer," but Boeing's technology is pretty neat and works well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.