Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA (CO) First 787 Rolls out of the Boeing Factory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA (CO) First 787 Rolls out of the Boeing Factory

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
According to seatguru.com they are 18.3" which would make them the widest seats in economy on a wide body. Can anyone confirm seatguru's numbers?
Odd. On http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...t/default.aspx the 777-200 v6 and v7 are both listed as being 18.3". The 787-800 has no seat specs listed -- I guess they're hoping nobody notices.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Baze
According to seatguru.com they are 18.3" which would make them the widest seats in economy on a wide body. Can anyone confirm seatguru's numbers?
FWIW, wikipedia also lists UA's 9-abreast Y seats as 18.3" wide, although, of course, knowing wikipedia they might have gotten this figure from seatguru...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner
(scroll down to interior)

This would, in fact, makes them among the widest Y seats in the UA fleet.

Given the cabin width of the 787, it would, in fact, be possible to accommodate nine 18.3" seats and still leave enough space for two aisles.

It should also be noted that one particularity of the 8-abreat ANA 787 is that the two middle seats have individual armrests (most economy seats share an armrest), so this adds about 6-7" to the amount of space the ANA Y seats take up in the cabin.

I know this sounds like a lot of an economy seat armrest, but click on the link below and look at the configuration of the middle seat armrests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AN...n_LED_show.jpg

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Oct 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:03 am
RNE

Originally Posted by oldsmoboi
What do they mean that the cabin altitude feels lower and that means you are more rested?
When aloft, the air pressure in most commercial aircraft is equivalent to the air pressure you would experience being on land at 8,000 feet above sea level. That's relatively thin air and thus a little harder to breathe. It's perfectly safe for most people but some say it's not as comfortable as thicker air. To address this preference, the 787 will be pressurized to the equivalent of being on land at 6,000 feet above sea level.

You might wonder why airplanes aren't pressurized to the comfortable equivalent of sea level. They're not because having all that air pressure inside the aircraft with very little of it outside would stress the structure of the plane like a balloon, possibly catastrophically.

RNE, sure that basement-dwelling aeronautical aficionados will correct my layman's treatise.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by RNE
When aloft, the air pressure in most commercial aircraft is equivalent to the air pressure you would experience being on land at 8,000 feet above sea level. That's relatively thin air and thus a little harder to breathe. It's perfectly safe for most people but some say it's not as comfortable as thicker air. To address this preference, the 787 will be pressurized to the equivalent of being on land at 6,000 feet above sea level.

You might wonder why airplanes aren't pressurized to the comfortable equivalent of sea level. They're not because having all that air pressure inside the aircraft with very little of it outside would stress the structure of the plane like a balloon, possibly catastrophically.

RNE, sure that basement-dwelling aeronautical aficionados will correct my layman's treatise.
The other major "difference" is that there is less worry about corrosion with the composite frame. As a result the moisture level will be higher on the 787. AC are kept at very low moisture level due to condensation on the walls, and that problem will not be as serious on the 787. Both will be nice, but you will not have as much of a dried out feeling after a long 787 flight, nor need to drink as much water to stay hydrated.

It is a very cool plane. Unfortunately, I it is unlikely to effect my life in any material way (since UA does not run tag on flights from hub to hub like PMUA did).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
(since UA does not run tag on flights from hub to hub like PMUA did).
You mean like the IAH-DEN-NRT-DEN-IAH ?

EmailKid
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
What's the big deal with this plane?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts
Other than the fact its a new plane? At least for now lie flat for certain domestic flight
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
"It's a game changer!" Haven't you been watching SMI/J in the preflight videos!?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum with 2.5MM. Current AA EXP
When Does 787 #2 Arrive?

Any word on the arrival of the second A/C? Flying on 11/9 and 11/10 and seeing that on those days there should be 2 A/C flying--one on EWR and LAX turns and one on ORD and SFO turns. Getting a little concerned about the arrival of the second one and how long it will take before it can/will fly paying passengers.

Any insights?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Absolutely NOTHING!!!

And this come from a guy who couldn't wait for the 77W, 380 & 774-8 so it's not like I don't get excited when there is a great new plane. I just see NOTHING great about the 787 except the window size
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:18 pm

I don't recall (def might be mistaken) Smisek saying this is a breakthrough in passenger experience. Its simply a significant business milestone. Its his fiduciary duty to tout that and sell his stock.

And the unfortunate reality is IMHO that if they can provide the same transportation at a lower cost that the competition, they'll be in business without all of the over entitled elites. Still not a reason to leave that revenue on the table but what can we do.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Absolutely NOTHING!!!

And this come from a guy who couldn't wait for the 77W, 380 & 774-8 so it's not like I don't get excited when there is a great new plane. I just see NOTHING great about the 787 except the window size
Lower cabin altitude.

Much greater efficiency.

Pretty big leap ahead in material design and construction.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Don't forget the larger, electrochromic dimming windows...
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer;19540181
Lower cabin altitude.

Much greater efficiency.

Pretty big leap ahead in material design and construction.
How's that of advantage to the passenger ?
Fares any lower on these ?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by hamburgoflyer
How's that of advantage to the passenger ?
Fares any lower on these ?
In the long-term, it will allow for (hopefully) cheaper fares. Similar to the efficiencies that allow Southwest to have such low cost fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.