Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA (CO) First 787 Rolls out of the Boeing Factory

UA (CO) First 787 Rolls out of the Boeing Factory

Old Sep 25, 12, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
The flights are already loaded. You can just search for various routes on united.com and see where 787 flights come up. EWR-IAH-SFO is there pretty consistently. It's not hard to get AMS-IAH-SFO to come up.
Old Sep 26, 12, 5:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
N20904 is out on a long testflight out of BFI today
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N20904
Old Oct 7, 12, 9:01 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was at IAH yesterday morning and understand they were doing some ramp tests with the 787 yesterday; marshalling, tug hookups, jetbridge parking, etc.). I missed seeing this, but in case others are at IAH, you might want to keep your eyes open.
Old Oct 7, 12, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I was at IAH yesterday morning and understand they were doing some ramp tests with the 787 yesterday; marshalling, tug hookups, jetbridge parking, etc.). I missed seeing this, but in case others are at IAH, you might want to keep your eyes open.
It hasn't flown since the delivery flight according to flightaware.com.
Old Oct 7, 12, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
It hasn't flown since the delivery flight according to flightaware.com.
That is correct, but UA has been testing out the 787 at some gates.
Old Oct 7, 12, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA767400 View Post
That is correct, but UA has been testing out the 787 at some gates.
Here is a shot of the above.

Old Oct 9, 12, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
New 787 Vid

Anyone else see this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Bsl...&feature=g-u-u
Old Oct 9, 12, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, MR Gold
Love the "it's spacious!" quote as the camera pans to the 9-abrest high density economy configuration.

Should have gone with "these seats are narrower than nearly every widebody aircraft we currently operate -- you'll appreciate the higher cabin humidity while your neighbor overflows into your seat and the FAs bump your elbow as they navigate the narrow aisles!"
Old Oct 9, 12, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
There's no Rhapsody background; I thought all of UA's marketing vid's used that as theme music..
Old Oct 9, 12, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Aside from the fact that it has 9-abreast seating in Y, it's also narrower than the 747 and 777.

What strikes me, though, is Jeff Smisek's obvious obsession with the 787, as if it's the coolest toy he's ever gotten...

And now that channa pointed out the 80's gold whoosh painted on the fuselage, that makes me smile every time I see it...
Old Oct 9, 12, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smashr View Post
Love the "it's spacious!" quote as the camera pans to the 9-abrest high density economy configuration.

Should have gone with "these seats are narrower than nearly every widebody aircraft we currently operate -- you'll appreciate the higher cabin humidity while your neighbor overflows into your seat and the FAs bump your elbow as they navigate the narrow aisles!"
According to seatguru.com they are 18.3" which would make them the widest seats in economy on a wide body. Can anyone confirm seatguru's numbers?
Old Oct 9, 12, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by smashr View Post

Is that true? According to seat guru the 787s economy seats are 18.3 inches wide.
Old Oct 9, 12, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
What do they mean that the cabin altitude feels lower and that means you are more rested?
Old Oct 9, 12, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott PLT, UA 1K.
Originally Posted by oldsmoboi View Post
What do they mean that the cabin altitude feels lower and that means you are more rested?
oxygen absorption rate is higher. the lower the altitude the higher the absorption rate. it's why hikers who climb everest need oxygen tanks after a certain point.

honestly i think the plane is neat. i don't have jeff's obsession over it, but as an aviation geek i do find the 787 pretty cool.
Old Oct 9, 12, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
According to seatguru.com they are 18.3" which would make them the widest seats in economy on a wide body. Can anyone confirm seatguru's numbers?
Seatguru is incorrect. Per one of the very long threads on the 787 here, the seats will be approx 17" wide, about an inch less than almost all PMCO and PMUA wide body Y seats.

The 787 was designed around 8-abrest seating with 18.3-18.5" wide seats. UA stole 1.5" from each seat and the balance from the aisle to cram in the 9th seat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: