Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Express flights operated by Continental

United Express flights operated by Continental

Old Oct 9, 11, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
Thumbs down United Express flights operated by Continental

Hello folks,

Not sure this was on the boards yet but thought I would share an experience I just had.

I am taking a flight from EWR that is a continental flight but actually a shuttle america united express plane. Been trying to figure out why I wasn't on the EUA list, and finally a 3rd agent told me the following (after 2 agents gave me the different answers)

"Any planes that have been realigned (e.g. CO operated but UA/UX metal) does not have EUA ahead of time, only at the gate."

Anyone have experience with this yet? Seems like another issues that the merger isn't dealing well with.

About ready to ship off to delta with a status match, been getting frustrated with the two systems and nobody knowing what they are doing on the CO side especially!
Old Oct 9, 11, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K ,AAEXP, Dollar, Marriott Gold,Hertz Gold,SIXT Platnium, CBP Global Entry,Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by UpgradeMePlz View Post
Hello folks,

Not sure this was on the boards yet but thought I would share an experience I just had.

I am taking a flight from EWR that is a continental flight but actually a shuttle america united express plane. Been trying to figure out why I wasn't on the EUA list, and finally a 3rd agent told me the following (after 2 agents gave me the different answers)

"Any planes that have been realigned (e.g. CO operated but UA/UX metal) does not have EUA ahead of time, only at the gate."

Anyone have experience with this yet? Seems like another issues that the merger isn't dealing well with.

About ready to ship off to delta with a status match, been getting frustrated with the two systems and nobody knowing what they are doing on the CO side especially!
I feel your pain. I am a Plat with CO and Prem. Exec with UA. Called last night to Prem. Exec. res and requested an upgrade on UA917 IAD to SEA for the 13th. Was showing NF6. Agent told me since it was UA metal but operated by CO, upgrades would probably not clear until gate.
Have not flown in about 10 days, but this was first I heard of this. It has to be UA metal operated by UA to use miles, if it is a mixed UA/CO flight, upgrades go at the gate...
Hope this helpls
Old Oct 9, 11, 4:50 pm

There are a few threads on this. I believe it has to do with the ruling against UACO that they could not use United Express to violate the scope clause that PMCO has in their pilot contract. In turn PMCO is not allowed to market these flights as CO flights. I believe this is what is screwing things up in their system.
Old Oct 9, 11, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1kwannabe View Post
Have not flown in about 10 days, but this was first I heard of this. It has to be UA metal operated by UA to use miles, if it is a mixed UA/CO flight, upgrades go at the gate...
This is a different situation. UA has historically not permitted upgrades in advance on non-UA coded flights. It was been this way for a long, long time. The strange part in your case is that IAD-SEA is UA metal, not CO metal, so I think that either the agent misspoke or you misunderstood that it is a CO-coded ticket that is the problem, not that the flight is CO operated.

As for the OP's situation, the "franken-flights" are a pain for everyone but the company keeps using them because they get the capacity where it is needed, despite the fact that they lost a ruling to the Pilots' Union about the flights, that they don't process correctly for nearly everything from a customer perspective and that operationally they are a pain at the airport.

It'll be resolved eventually but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Oct 9, 11, 4:57 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
Is it also possible that shuttle America who contracts with both UA and CO is making changes in equipment?
Old Oct 9, 11, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
This is a different situation. UA has historically not permitted upgrades in advance on non-UA coded flights. It was been this way for a long, long time. The strange part in your case is that IAD-SEA is UA metal, not CO metal, so I think that either the agent misspoke or you misunderstood that it is a CO-coded ticket that is the problem, not that the flight is CO operated.

As for the OP's situation, the "franken-flights" are a pain for everyone but the company keeps using them because they get the capacity where it is needed, despite the fact that they lost a ruling to the Pilots' Union about the flights, that they don't process correctly for nearly everything from a customer perspective and that operationally they are a pain at the airport.

It'll be resolved eventually but I'm not holding my breath.
So it's not just me. Thanks for confirming! Trying to figure out if sticking with UA/CO or switching over to sky pesos is a better deal, especially since I wasn't travelling early in the year after having a baby and maybe just maybe making 2p if anything this year. If I go with Sky Pesos + Status match I'll be a gold and can probably make plat next year with the Platinum card help.
Old Oct 9, 11, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure View Post
Is it also possible that shuttle America who contracts with both UA and CO is making changes in equipment?
No. Shuttle America doesn't actually contract any operations directly for CO.
Old Oct 9, 11, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
AFAIK Shuttle America only flies the E70, the Cadillac of RJs
Old Oct 9, 11, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Along with the upgrade fiasco, keep an eye out for the miles to post. For these oddball flights operated by one and coded as the other, I've had to request mileage on two of the 3 flights. The other showed up 7 days after I flew.

The merger process can be a pain sometimes.
Old Oct 9, 11, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
AFAIK Shuttle America only flies the E70, the Cadillac of RJs
Funny. Being the Cadillac of RJs is liking being the Cadillac of auto-rickshaws or the Cadillac of unicycles.

hmmm...Actually I think I may have just insulted auto-rickshaws and unicycles.
Old Oct 10, 11, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD View Post
Funny. Being the Cadillac of RJs is liking being the Cadillac of auto-rickshaws or the Cadillac of unicycles.

hmmm...Actually I think I may have just insulted auto-rickshaws and unicycles.
Honestly, I'd rather be in an e70, coach or F, than a 735! Roomy plane, F is great (solo seats even better), row 3 has awesome legroom, full sized overheads, better lav ratio.
Old Oct 10, 11, 6:49 am

A much better F to Y ratio than the Airbii as well.
Old Oct 10, 11, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ

ExpressJet does, not Shuttle America (CO doesn't contract). I've seen CO markings on UA Express flights.
Old Oct 10, 11, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM+ - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pingtung View Post
Along with the upgrade fiasco, keep an eye out for the miles to post. For these oddball flights operated by one and coded as the other, I've had to request mileage on two of the 3 flights. The other showed up 7 days after I flew.
The missing posting has nothing to do with this. The CO side recently had issue arise that caused missing segments. According to a post by UAInsider they should have a fix implemented so that will fix it.
I can say this because I have taken at probably 50 of these UAX flights that are technically CO flights but only marketed as UA flights from EWR and never had one not post. They are staples on the main markets I fly (EWR to MSP & ATL).
In all cases you are 100% better to be using your CO frequent flier number and NOT UA. The upgrades clear based on the CO system, technically they are a CO flight and follow those rules. If you choose to put your UA MP number then you will only get upgraded at the airport, that is a known challenge. You should link your accounts and status match, then use the account for which the flight is operating on. These UAX out of CO hubs are CO flights, so use that one. I have had pretty good luck getting upgraded, but some flights are just really hard given I am only Premier Gold
Old Oct 10, 11, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UpgradeMePlz View Post
Hello folks,

Finally! I'm not the only one! Flew BFL-IAH yesterday and 5 days out, no EUA. My CO Plat # was in the reservation and the flight was R5/RN5. UA couldn't give me an answer. CO agents told me they didn't know and that the system just handles the upgrades automatically and nothing they can do. Finally a decent CO agent on the phone told me that redeployments always go to the airport for upgrade clearing - they're not done in advance. The unfortunate thing is that you have no clue if you're on the list or not because it's not featured on the flight status page on CO.com and no listed on the iPhone app either. The only way I knew I was on the upgrade list was when I checked in at the kiosk at BFL yesterday and on my boarding pass it says 'Added to the Upgrade Standby List.'

At the gate agent had all Upgraded BPs ready. The opaque upgrade handling for these flights are enough to not want to book these flights in the future, or at least until it's unified like other flights. The whole UA plane, but operated and sold by CO is confusing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: