How to book reward with Many Connections

Old May 12, 2011, 2:59 am
Original Poster

How to book reward with Many Connections

Hi,

I originally was planning on booking a reward trip to taiwan with a week stopover in korea. This itinerary is possible, but only if I have a few connections.

So this led me to thinking, would it be possible for me to plan my own connections? I would arrive in the connection city at night and explore while taking an afternoon flight to the next city. I have a few more cities I want to visit as "connection cities". The cities I want to visit are on a direct route to my "destination" of taiwan. However, Iit seems like the website won't let me book this way. Since I'll be on my connected flight within 24 hours, it should be possible, right?
Old May 12, 2011, 4:27 am

If you can find award availability such that the 24 hour rule works, you can call United and see if they will ticket it for you. There's no way you can book it on the website.
Old May 12, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
It's definitely possible although the ease of doing it will vary by agent. I've had everything from gleeful willingness to help (yes, really!) to stubborn refusal to ticket without consulting the rule book/supervisor, insisting that it can't possibly be allowed.

Remember that when you smile on the phone, it comes through in your voice--and use the reverse to discern whether you got a good agent or not--if not, don't even try for anything too complex. I actually do my requests in pairs when I call in, starting with an "easy" one to see how the agent reacts, then moving on to the harder one if I'm sure I have a good agent

But yes, the principle you outlined will work just fine and is a great way to get a max-value Asia award given the large number of hubs and airlines available. (I suppose it could be easily done in Europe as well, I've just never explored it)
Old May 12, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by damofrk
Hi,

I originally was planning on booking a reward trip to taiwan with a week stopover in korea. This itinerary is possible, but only if I have a few connections.

So this led me to thinking, would it be possible for me to plan my own connections? I would arrive in the connection city at night and explore while taking an afternoon flight to the next city. I have a few more cities I want to visit as "connection cities". The cities I want to visit are on a direct route to my "destination" of taiwan. However, Iit seems like the website won't let me book this way. Since I'll be on my connected flight within 24 hours, it should be possible, right?
On a related note...if you're on a connecting flight within 24 hours, is it therefore not considered your "free" stopover on an international award? For example, I'm flying PDX via SFO to FRA and would like to leave for SFO the evening before (less than 24 hours) but I already have a stopover in Europe (over 24 hours)...would this work?
Old May 12, 2011, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
As what PDXPremier said, you may be assessed additional miles for that domestic "stopover".

But as soon as the route is valid, have the inventory (XY) available, you can call the agent to book it for you without fee, if you can't book online.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Online bookings you are restricted to what appears online.

I usually get more options calling in.. plus they'll customize and max out your reward ticket ability. Well worth the booking fee in my opinion for the service of getting a customized itinerary.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Online bookings you are restricted to what appears online.

I usually get more options calling in.. plus they'll customize and max out your reward ticket ability. Well worth the booking fee in my opinion for the service of getting a customized itinerary.
CO: Any idea why I see SaverPass award availability when I try to book a one way award ticket but it only shows EasyPass availability when I include the exact same routing & dates in a multi-city connection?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lrwelsh
CO: Any idea why I see SaverPass award availability when I try to book a one way award ticket but it only shows EasyPass availability when I include the exact same routing & dates in a multi-city connection?
Perhaps the multicity connection isn't offered, and I assume for a return as well.. could be the multicity connection and/or the return that is triggering non availability.. all segments would have to be marked SaverPass in order for the itinerary to be offerd as SaverPass..
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Perhaps the multicity connection isn't offered, and I assume for a return as well.. could be the multicity connection and/or the return that is triggering non availability.. all segments would have to be marked SaverPass in order for the itinerary to be offerd as SaverPass..
Thanks AM: I priced them individually as one ways and they all offered as SaverPass but only shows EasyPass when I price them together.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lrwelsh
Thanks AM: I priced them individually as one ways and they all offered as SaverPass but only shows EasyPass when I price them together.
Did you price the trips out online?

Perhaps customer service can piece them together for you..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.