Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If I fly LAX-SFO (23 hour layover)-INTL, can I check thru bags?

Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100

Want to book nearly a day layover in San Francisco on an Intl itin, can I check bags all the way through from LAX? Unclear whether 4 hour rule applies if connecting.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paullevi
Want to book nearly a day layover in San Francisco on an Intl itin, can I check bags all the way through from LAX? Unclear whether 4 hour rule applies if connecting.
Even if you could, should you? Who knows where the bag will be and who might touch it.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by paullevi
4 hour rule is domestic, IIRC. 24 hours for international. You should have no problems checking it through.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:00 am

checked bags

Not sure about the rules but I did it recently. IAD-SFO-ICN. Checked 3 bags to ICN and one to SFO so I would have clean clothes for the next day. Bags made it fine but I was certainly worried. Layover was only 13 hours
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fnothaft
4 hour rule is domestic, IIRC. 24 hours for international. You should have no problems checking it through.
Those are the definitions of a connection but not necessarily for through-checking bags. I don't think you can and, as noted above, even if you can I wouldn't. If you don't want to schlep it around town in San Francisco leave it in the left luggage facility at the airport but don't leave it with the baggage folks.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by username
Even if you could, should you? Who knows where the bag will be and who might touch it.
Presumably somewhere in a big pile of other bags in the baggage-handling section of the airport, being touched by baggage handlers? I doubt it's significantly more likely to come to harm than it would be on any other journey.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Presumably somewhere in a big pile of other bags in the baggage-handling section of the airport, being touched by baggage handlers? I doubt it's significantly more likely to come to harm than it would be on any other journey.
I don't think it would come to harm...I just think you vastly increase the chance for it getting lost or misdirected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.