UA thinks 787 give competitive advantage

Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
UA thinks 787 give competitive advantage

CNBC had a documentary about the 787 and interviewed the UAL CEO who said people will fly UA for this plane. Of course that's what Boeing is hoping for.

Boeing guy talked about design choices they made which will make the passengers enjoy the 787 on an unconscious level, things like making the plane as wide as possible at eye level. But he admits most people will just remember the big windows.

But they interviewed some flight consultant who said at the end of the day, the seat pitch will be no different than on other planes.

One thing which is a damper is what some might consider an underhanded tactic of moving some production to South Carolina, to undermine the union.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by wco81
But they interviewed some flight consultant who said at the end of the day, the seat pitch will be no different than on other planes.
Said consultant is only a Premier member and was seated in E- on his flight out of ORD (the wonders of HDTV and a DVR).
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The same thing happened with the A380. Some people fly it just for the experience, but is it really any different from a cattle car in Coach?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
One thing which is a damper is what some might consider an underhanded tactic of moving some production to South Carolina, to undermine the union.
Boeing is a business that can locate wherever it wants, regardless of what some Un-American unionistas think of it.

Re: the 787, if it's a competitive advantage, does that mean UA would admit the ancient 757s are a competitive disadvantage?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I doubt that's putting a damper on it for anyone.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The same thing happened with the A380. Some people fly it just for the experience, but is it really any different from a cattle car in Coach?
I still want to fly it! But not in coach...

Originally Posted by 707Flyer
Boeing is a business that can locate wherever it wants, regardless of what some Un-American unionistas think of it.

Re: the 787, if it's a competitive advantage, does that mean UA would admit the ancient 757s are a competitive disadvantage?
I like the 757's! Lot's of seats in F...

Originally Posted by mduell
I doubt that's putting a damper on it for anyone.
Houston (all of Perry's TX for that matter) has never been very Union friendly...
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the biggest potential gamechanger with the 787 is that passengers are expected to feel more rested after a long flight because of the higher humidity and lower operating cabin altitude.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:41 pm

Any chance United will opt for some of the newer-style E seats in their 787s? The "shell" style ones that seem well received elsewhere? Maybe they can do E+ with better seats ala Air New Zealand and really make E+ something worthwhile.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
It's not a competitive advantage unless it's something you have and your competitors don't. Boeing has been selling 787s to not only UA, but also UA's competitors, so I don't think the 787 is a competitive advantage. And I don't think people would want to fly UA for this particular plane, if the service is poor compared to, say, an ANA 787 (except for elites, who might do it for the E+ seats, if UA installs those seats on that airplane).
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: United GS (11 years in a row); Lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite; National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 707Flyer

LOL - I will take a 757 on UA over an MD80 on American. Those things are scary.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
.....with the 787 is that passengers are expected to feel more rested after a long flight because of the higher humidity and lower operating cabin altitude.
Valid point re humidity. Not sure I understand "operating cabin altitude"? ....

Originally Posted by STS-134
......who might do it for the E+ seats, if UA installs those seats on that airplane).
UA already announced that E+ will be installed on all mainline equipment.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
[QUOTE=cesco.g;17195897]Valid point re humidity. Not sure I understand "operating cabin altitude"? ....

Traditional aluminum airplanes are pressurized to about 8000 ft altitude when cruising. The composite skin and structure of the 787 allows the cabin to be pressurized to a lower altitude 5000 to 6000 ft level without having to worry about metal fatigue issues over the life of the airframe.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Innerloop
Any chance United will opt for some of the newer-style E seats in their 787s? The "shell" style ones that seem well received elsewhere? Maybe they can do E+ with better seats ala Air New Zealand and really make E+ something worthwhile.
Heh, keep dreamin'!

Seriously though, a "proper" premium economy model like on NZ is a very different business model to E+. If you install six-abreast, serious-legroom seating on a 777 then it's because you think you can charge a lot more for it (generally about a 80% premium on NZ) and not because you're planning on giving it away to your elites for free.

And since United has E+, they'll never get an E++. Suits me though, I'll take an E+ that I get to fly in over an E++ that I don't, any day.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier iK, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cnerup
LOL - I will take a 757 on UA over an MD80 on American. Those things are scary.
They also are hot. Their AC never cools down on a hot day in summer.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Said consultant is only a Premier member and was seated in E- on his flight out of ORD (the wonders of HDTV and a DVR).
Spoken like a true F/t'er ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.