Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending SWUs 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Do you have the time or patience to keep calling & see if another agent will give you a different answer?
Reading this thread shows little hope of success (except if you 2012 SWUs are delayed).
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Do you have the time or patience to keep calling & see if another agent will give you a different answer?
I tried one more time and got put in a queue, and hung up. It's too much like shoveling sand against the tide to keep it up.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
so no hope for extending old 2011 swus.

but what about people who qualified for 1k mid year - can we ask for our 2012-fresh batch of SWUs to expire in 01/2013 rater than mid year 2012? that extension still okay?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by epiding

but what about people who qualified for 1k mid year - can we ask for our 2012-fresh batch of SWUs to expire in 01/2013 rater than mid year 2012? that extension still okay?
Yes, but the instructions are that you cannot extend until 30 days before expiration. Luckily I was at 99,xxx until a flight on Dec 25th so my SWUs did not post until Jan 2012.

Also, they will not extend further than Dec 31, 2012.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond
One extended...

My brother is a GS and got one extended through April. He had a second one which they would not extend (he even called back and spoke with a different person).

I had an extra SWU, but didn't call after reading this thread - just a lowly 1K after all...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by epiding

There are some posts earlier in a thread about SWU's depositing early: several people, including me, received an e-mail, after writing in to complain last year, that said if you call MP in Jan 2012 the SWU's will be extended to the end of 2012.
No waiting till 30days before expiration!

When I called MP this week they tried to pull the 30 days rule, but I wasn't having any and after a few tries(hang up, call again, speak to supervisor) they extended my and my husbands SWUs to the end of the year.

So worth a try: it seems they will do it, especially if you have a copy of the letter you recieved. (Earlier posts re "the letter" were Mar19th and April 12 2011.)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA GS
no luck for me...

GS declined to extend my one remaining SWU...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I've got one SWU that I had printed to use on LH. Unfortunately, the trip was delayed until March. I had thought UA would extend one, but was just told by an MP rep that the merger has changed things... :sigh:
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Last week I successfully had my one remaining 2011 SWU expiring 1/2012 extended through 2/2012. ^
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Still waiting for the cheerleaders to come on to this post and claim this is a positive...

I have one left, and try as I might, .bomb is acting like I'm already out when I try to upgrade a friend. I"m growing tired and don't have the energy to call and deal with this.

I didn't make 1K this year, so I never had expectations of extending a SWU, but I'm suprised that the rest of you are out of luck as well.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:28 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by gnaget
I called the US "Premier Executive" MP desk and asked to speak to a supervisor. He told me that I should call back one week prior to expiration. Anyway, I got his name.

I noticed that both he and the first agent spoke with latin american accents. Has this desk been outsourced? In the past I recall that it was in N or S Dakota and you typically talked to older midwestern ladies who sometimes were quite friendly. I think an outsourced desk would be more robotic and by the book.
AFAIK, the US Mileage Plus 1P desk operates from 7 Am to 7 PM Mountain Standard Time. If you call outside of these hours, then your call is routed to the Phillipines Mileage Plus call center. The customer service there is better than India, but it is of a much lower quality than the that of Mileage Plus Premier Executive customer service.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
.... I have one left, and try as I might, .bomb is acting like I'm already out when I try to upgrade a friend. I"m growing tired and don't have the energy to call and deal with this. ....
has never worked well when you have only 1 remainding SWU or Regional -- if applying to a RT. Or in general when they is not enought instruments for a RT for all on the PNR. The automated phone system works in these cases if you are on the PNR. Otherwise a brief call and sign off at an airport is needed.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Otherwise a brief call and sign off at an airport is needed.
Excellent advice. You can also call web support to have it applied, thus avoiding a stop at the airport to sign.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:05 pm

Last week I requested that one of my two expiring SWUs be extended a month - really just needed it extended 5 days - to buy a one way full fare business ticket to GRU for a C>F upgrade - a $4500 one way ticket. I'm a GS/1.9MM-er.

I've never asked for a SWU extension in my life. My request was declined - I was quite surprised. My ticket purchase went to AA where I still had a VIP that wasn't expiring till end-Feb.

Of note: I did have my reservation on hold - and pointed them to the reservation. I told them I was waiting to ticket based on the outcome of this conversation. They said only that they'd "send my request on and that I should check my account in 24-48 hours" to find out if they granted it. They didn't. So, as indicated, ticket went to AA.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Jan 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
They just extended my one remaining swu through 2/12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.