Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending SWUs 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
Tried to extend my GPU's which expire on 1/31/13 and was denied. I called earlier today and the agent said it was not possible (they also asked a supervisor who denied my request).

Maybe not the best idea, but I tried to give it a shot again and call a couple hours later on the same day. The agent mentioned that they saw a note on my record regarding my earlier request for the same issue.

Guess I will have to wait awhile to call back again. Wonder how long that will show up on my record.

Last edited by SFO_Flyer; Jan 17, 2013 at 7:48 pm
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hughw
what department is the right department?
It has to be the Mileage Plus department. If you hit it luck you might get transfered to Rapid City, SD office. Remember when you had to mail everything in to to them??
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by SFO_Flyer
Tried to extend my GPU's which expire on 1/31/13 and was denied. I called earlier today and the agent said it was not possible (they also asked a supervisor who denied my request).

Maybe not the best idea, but I tried to give it a shot again and call a couple hours later on the same day. The agent mentioned that they saw a note on my record regarding my earlier request for the same issue.

Guess I will have to wait awhile to call back again. Wonder how long that will show up on my record.
The note shouldn't matter unless it is blatantly negative. After my first attempt the MP CSR mentioned making a note although the conversation was cordial. The extensions were put through at the second call and I'm assuming they had seen the previous note.

But yes I would wait a couple of days.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by kyte
Similar report as others .. had a couple of CSRs say that mine were deposited in 2011 and extended to 1/2012, but this was not the case as I could see the deposits in 1/2012 on united.com.

Supervisor verified deposit in 1/2012 and extended to 1/2014. ^

(Sunday evening call fail; Wednesday evening success)
Just called. Earned in 2011, but deposit in 1/2012. Agent said they had already been extended from 12.31.12 to 1.31.13. If that was the case, it was an automatic extension as I didn't request. Talked to a supervisor. Same answer. "They've been extended once to 1.31.13. We can;t extend again."

Is it worth calling again? Now? In a few days? I don't want the account labled in a negative way. I've been extremely polite and non-argumentative but you never know. And if I call again, should I say "I called earlier on this, but I hope that you will reconsider. I understand others have had extensions under similar circumstances"?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Sounds like the MPSC has to do it, and since they're closed today (I think) I'm going to wait until tomorrow to try.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Sounds like the MPSC has to do it, and since they're closed today (I think) I'm going to wait until tomorrow to try.
I did have good luck calling on Sunday morning. It was 1K line (for what's that worth) and it took a while to get transfered to MPCS. I would give it a try this morning. MP is closed but MPCS does work on Sunday. Again, you may have to get transfered and not use the auto directory. Good luck!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
Update - Success

I called today and clearly asked for the mileage plus customer service line before even giving my MP #. Once I confirmed I was talking to the MP CS line, I asked for an extension and it was granted. Took maybe 3 mins and she was able to process it without a supervisor.

Thanks again for all the help on this.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
I called today and clearly asked for the mileage plus customer service line before even giving my MP #. Once I confirmed I was talking to the MP CS line, I asked for an extension and it was granted. Took maybe 3 mins and she was able to process it without a supervisor.

Thanks again for all the help on this.
Please confirm - were these for GPUs earned in 2011? Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by alexperi
Please confirm - were these for GPUs earned in 2011? Thanks.
Yes, They were earned in 2011 but credited to my account in the beginning of January 2012.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I just tried again after being inspired by all these posts... I did as advised by SFO_Flyer, spoke to the premier MP service center, and was told, nicely but firmly, that since these were GPUs that were issued in 2011, they could not be extended beyond 1/31/13. I asked again, said that friends had had theirs extended, and after being placed on hold for ages, was told that they could be extended by one month only until 2/28/13.

Is it me?! Are you sure we are all talking here about GPUs issued in 2011 being extended to 1/2014? Am I missing something?!

Yes, They were earned in 2011 but credited to my account in the beginning of January 2012.
OK - so maybe that is the difference - mine were credited to my account at the end of Dec 2011... so I guess that means that those few days have made all the difference.... what a pain...

Thanks anyway for the help.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by alexperi
I just tried again after being inspired by all these posts... I did as advised by SFO_Flyer, spoke to the premier MP service center, and was told, nicely but firmly, that since these were GPUs that were issued in 2011, they could not be extended beyond 1/31/13. I asked again, said that friends had had theirs extended, and after being placed on hold for ages, was told that they could be extended by one month only until 2/28/13.

Is it me?! Are you sure we are all talking here about GPUs issued in 2011 being extended to 1/2014? Am I missing something?!
As I have learned on FT, unfortunately you just have to keep trying until you find the agent that will do it for you. I called the 800 listed on the United website for MP CS, as when I tried going through the 1K line that never worked. I did not put my mileage # in and would just say agent. Once the agent picked up, I confirmed with her that it was indeed the MP CS line. Then I provided my MP # and just requested an extension.

I clearly earned my upgrades in 2011 and they were put in my account in early January 2012. I received an extension until 1/31/14. Hope this helps and goodluck
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
As I have learned on FT, unfortunately you just have to keep trying until you find the agent that will do it for you. I called the 800 listed on the United website for MP CS, as when I tried going through the 1K line that never worked. I did not put my mileage # in and would just say agent. Once the agent picked up, I confirmed with her that it was indeed the MP CS line. Then I provided my MP # and just requested an extension.

I clearly earned my upgrades in 2011 and they were put in my account in early January 2012. I received an extension until 1/31/14. Hope this helps and goodluck
My experience was the same as alexperi. I called today and got a CSR on the 1K line and asked to have my 3 GPU and 1 RPU extended to 12/31/13. After a short wait the agent said she had checked with a supervisor and would extend them, and after a few minutes wait she came back on the line and said it was done.

However after hanging up I looked online and found ther were extended only to 2/28/13. I called back and got the same 1K CSR and told her of the error and that I had friends and FTer's who had them extened to 12/31. She checked with her supervisor and said it couldn't be done, that they knew it was on the blogs, and suggested writing to the 1K line.

Not sure if I should call again at a different time or send an email.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP
No luck trying to extend one GPU from 1/31 to 8/10 this year, for use on a booked 8/10 domestic flight. But two other 2011 earned GPUs, previously extended to 12/31/12, were run out till 1/31/14 early last month!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by hughw
Just called. Earned in 2011, but deposit in 1/2012. Agent said they had already been extended from 12.31.12 to 1.31.13. If that was the case, it was an automatic extension as I didn't request. Talked to a supervisor. Same answer. "They've been extended once to 1.31.13. We can;t extend again."

Is it worth calling again? Now? In a few days? I don't want the account labled in a negative way. I've been extremely polite and non-argumentative but you never know. And if I call again, should I say "I called earlier on this, but I hope that you will reconsider. I understand others have had extensions under similar circumstances"?
I'd call again. Check your MP account and see when the GPUs were actually deposited. If they were deposited in 1/2012 then you have more bargaining power as they are obviously extending those posted in 1/2012 and even apparently some earned in 2011.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by kyte
I'd call again. Check your MP account and see when the GPUs were actually deposited. If they were deposited in 1/2012 then you have more bargaining power as they are obviously extending those posted in 1/2012 and even apparently some earned in 2011.
Can anyone provide a data point? Mine were earned in 2011, and show on my statement as deposited on 1/12/12, with expiration on 1/31/13. The agent refused to extend saying that they had already been extended once. Perhaps they were; I don't know, but I didn't request an extension previously. I do remember something about an automatic extension to 1.31.13 instead on for a year from when earned, but I certainly never requested such an extension.

Should I give it another shot, and if so, what are the magic words?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.