Extending SWUs 2012

Old Sep 29, 12, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps View Post
Is there anyone left flying UA who can afford a 'W' fare long haul?

Don't the Kettles on S and T who pay ˝ the W fare, get offered buy ups these days for a few $100?

Then few or zero seats are left for anyone using a SWU/GPU

Who pays $2900 or whatever for a W from here these days?

1K is a joke as of this year.
?? lots of UA web errors made the SWU very easy and cheap to use.
Old Sep 30, 12, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
It seems to me that the reason this is so is that the prices on below S fares fares are rising faster than S and above fares.
After I posted, I thought about it and you are right. Still, it makes me more willing to take the gamble and treat myself to something nice.
Old Sep 30, 12, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by username View Post
After I posted, I thought about it and you are right. Still, it makes me more willing to take the gamble and treat myself to something nice.

I am lost. Can someone PM me please as I would like to figure out what you all are talking about.
Old Sep 30, 12, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
OnePass members can't extend?

Just called the GS line to extend a GPU that expires today. Agent put me on a conference call with the MP desk.

And the MP desk told me they can't extend my GPU until December because I am an original OnePass member and the system only allows them to extend GPUs from original MP members. WHT?? Is this info true and I didn't see it upthread?

I was thinking about using this GPU to upgrade from J to F on a GIG-USA-PEK ticket, but now it's going to be GIG-FRA-PEK on LH in F. Way to go, UA.
Old Sep 30, 12, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer View Post
Just called the GS line to extend a GPU that expires today. Agent put me on a conference call with the MP desk.

And the MP desk told me they can't extend my GPU until December because I am an original OnePass member and the system only allows them to extend GPUs from original MP members. WHT?? Is this info true and I didn't see it upthread?

I was thinking about using this GPU to upgrade from J to F on a GIG-USA-PEK ticket, but now it's going to be GIG-FRA-PEK on LH in F. Way to go, UA.
Need to ask for a MP supervisor. I am former OP and had no trouble extending a GPU on Friday.
Old Sep 30, 12, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
Need to ask for a MP supervisor. I am former OP and had no trouble extending a GPU on Friday.
When was it to expire and when is it extended to?
Old Sep 30, 12, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
When was it to expire and when is it extended to?
9/30, extended to end of the year.
Old Sep 30, 12, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
Got the same spiel from a supervisor. Said GPUs originally earned in OnePass accounts cannot be extended by the system. Mentioned your case and was told it must've been because you must also have had an MP account that was merged with your OnePass.

Whatever, this is too much trouble for a GPU. I don't have neither the patience nor the time to deal with this company anymore. Thanks to FT, I've got 16 SWUs with AA.
Old Sep 30, 12, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Despite alot of issues with UA this year, I just want to report what a great job they did redepositing and extending 2 LH paper certificate SWU's for my husband.

They both expire today. I realized it a little late, and called MP on 9/25 to ask if there was still time to return them, for electronic redeposit and extension to 12/31/2012. I spoke to someone in the in the Philippines, who conferred with a "supervisor" and assured me there was time. I was skeptical but desperate so on 9/26 I overnighted them via USPS, except the MP Service Center is so remote apparently that the USPS doesn't guarantee overnight service. MP Center received the certificates 9/28 in the a.m. Yesterday morning I received an email confirming the electronic redeposit and extension to 12/31/2012. I confirmed this information on my husband's account.

A sincere yay for United. Of course, if he were hitting better than .500 on C to F upgrades on LH between SFO and FRA/MUC, all this wouldn't have been necessary.
Old Oct 21, 12, 8:09 am

Just called MP, 5 second wait for an agent....my 2012 GPU's expire on 10/31, I requested 2 be extended to use for travel on 11/2 and 11/5 already booked. The agent said they are extending GPU's for 1Ks up through the end of 2012 and extended all of my GPUs.

FWIW, I am originally a OP member and earned these through the OP account, but also had a PMUA MP account pre 3/3. The agent had no issues.

Last edited by nova08; Oct 24, 12 at 1:43 pm
Old Oct 24, 12, 1:35 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I have 2 more GPUs expiring in November. I called MP to get them extended one month to 12/12.

Agent told me I can only extend them during the month they expire, so I have to call back on November 1st.

I was in no mood to argue. I'll just call back.

Old Oct 24, 12, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
FWIW, I am originally a OP member and earned these through the OP account, but also had a PMUA MP account pre 3/3. The agent had no issues.
I did have a situation where the agent claimed they were OP GPUs when they were certainly not. She spent 20 minutes tracing back to their origin through several failed upgrades. At some point it must have been converted to an OP GPU. She had to do some extra work to extend them or notate why she was allowed to.

Originally Posted by g_leyser View Post
I have 2 more GPUs expiring in November. I called MP to get them extended one month to 12/12.

Agent told me I can only extend them during the month they expire, so I have to call back on November 1st.

I was in no mood to argue. I'll just call back.

I got that a few times... silly...
Old Oct 27, 12, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA peon
On 10/24 emailed 1K desk to extend my GPU and RPUs to the end of the year.
On 10/26 they replied and my awards were extended.
Old Jan 8, 13, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
I had one of my original six 2011 qualifying year GPUs expiring 12/31 that was extended to 1/31/13 due to the policy change. But I was just able to extend that one another year (as I won't be flying in January). It was a case of if you don't succeed, call back until you do.
Old Jan 11, 13, 7:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
My GPUs were scheduled to expire in December. I called in December and inquired why the expiration hadn't changed to January 31. The agent said that I was correct and extended them to the 31st of January.

I have two left currently. I just called to extend them to use on a trip in February. I was informed they cannot extend them because they were extended once already. I informed them that was because of the policy change. The agent was trying to be helpful but informed me the system wouldn't allow him to extend because they already were. I then asked if he could just remove the two currently in there and deposit 2 more that expire the beginning of March. He said he could not do that because I did not keep my 1k status

I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor was less helpful than the agent and told me that that policy was only for GPUs earned in 2012. I informed him that it was also retroactive to 2011. He denied this and said there is nothing he could do.

What can I do? Does anyone have the policy change information?

Search this Thread