Extending SWUs 2012

Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold
Extending Expiration Date on Global Premier Upgrades

I have a GPU expiring at the end of the month but will not have a flight to use it on until September. Does anyone know if UA will extend the expiration dates on the upgrades?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by Fisk
I have a GPU expiring at the end of the month but will not have a flight to use it on until September. Does anyone know if UA will extend the expiration dates on the upgrades?
I had four expiring 9/12. About 6 weeks ago I called MP and they extending to 12/31/12.... yes they seem to be doing it freely...
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Fisk
It may take more than one call, but GPU/SWUs that expire in 2012 are officially to be extended to December 2012.

This was policy made by pmUA, so if you get a pmCO agent, they may not do it right away. Be patient, you'll find someone who will do it for you.

Dave
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bseller
It may take more than one call, but GPU/SWUs that expire in 2012 are officially to be extended to December 2012.

This was policy made by pmUA, so if you get a pmCO agent, they may not do it right away. Be patient, you'll find someone who will do it for you.

Dave
Many thanks for this information!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold
Just got off the phone. No issues getting this extended for the rest of the year.

Eric
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by bseller

Dave
Thanks Dave!! - I have been sending emails to 1KVoice and getting rejected. Read your email and decided to try again. Called and got the extension. My SWU's expired on 7/31/12 and they were able to extend to end of 2012.

Flyertalk members are wonderful for getting info to solve my problems.

Irene
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I dont know if anyone had this happen, but I think it's pretty telling how FUBAR SHARES is.

Called and got my 4 GPUs extended to EOY, no problem. Took 10 minutes, watched the GPU count on the website count down 4-3-2-1 and then she had to manually add back each one with the new expiry 1-2-3-4. Very helpful and knowledgeable agent, system is so backwards.

Actually had all 4 redeemed for travel LAX-NRT-ICN last week but IRROPS forced me to cancel and book last minute OW on OZ instead.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Had 4 GPUs set to expire on 11-30-12. Emailed Mileage Plus and requested an extension to 12-31-12; done in about 45 minutes. A pleasant surprise; now hope they actually clear on December flights to LHR.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
It's been a slow year for international travel - had 6 set to expire in October. Called and had no problem extending - agent did say, however, that it was a "one time exception" that would be noted in my account.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
On the phone now with very nice 1K agent who is extending 10/31 exp to 12/31 (one SWU by one she said).
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I emailed 1kvoice and was refused. I have one expiring 09/2012. Should I call instead?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I called last week to get my GPU's extended from September until December. The agent got approval from her supervisor to do this, but ran into problems when she started dropping/re-adding with the new expiration. The net result was that she deleted two of my GPU's and couldn't add them back, so she told me that she'd try again the next day.

After checking several times since then and not seeing anything, I spent 20 minutes on the phone again today. The agent saw the notation about what the last agent did/was supposed to do, so no problem there, but it was a long, slow process. She finally told me that I didn't need to stick around and that she'd complete.

I don't have any international travel planned before year end so just burned the first of those GPU's on a 3 hour EWR-FLL flight in November where I really don't want to be sitting in coach. My 2012 regional's expire before then, so burning that GPU for this short route "made sense" to me.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by Karter
I emailed 1kvoice and was refused. I have one expiring 09/2012. Should I call instead?
Absolutely... it seems to be a no brainer
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We still have all our SWU/GPU, which is annoying. 10 or 12 of them.

They expire end Jan of course.

What is the thought re extending any this year?

Seems this has less and less been policy/doable in recent years sadly.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ozstamps
We still have all our SWU/GPU, which is annoying. 10 or 12 of them.

They expire end Jan of course.

What is the thought re extending any this year?

Seems this has less and less been policy/doable in recent years sadly.
Good luck on your request! Can't see you having much success unfortunately, esp. if you don't have any booked itineraries to use them on.

You should feel fortunate that yours expire in Jan, when most of the rest of us have them expiring Dec 31.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.