Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending SWUs 2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Swu extended expiration for non re-qualifying 1K

After reading all of the comments about the lack of success in extending expiring Swus for requalified 1ks, it is interesting to note that a friend who didn't qualify for 1K going forward still has his Swus that were to have expired on 01/31 and they show an expiration in February.

Anyone else encounter this scenario? United's version of a soft landing?

It would be interesting to find the logic of the new UA that would reward those who didn't qualify going forward with an extension of their Swus.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Maybe it has to do with status being extended until march? Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but aren't UA SWU's good until the "end of the elite year"? If so, kudos to UA for extending them automatically.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
If UA is extending automatically for non qualifiers...

There doesn't seem to be any equity in letting them lapse for 1K who have requalified or refusing to consider short term extensions for those requesting.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Maybe it has to do with status being extended until march? Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but aren't UA SWU's good until the "end of the elite year"? If so, kudos to UA for extending them automatically.
No. My other one has expired. it's interesting that some non qualifiers got theirs extended. I had one agent tell me that I didn't meet the criteria for extending a SWU because my miles were split (not all on United). Well, that's true, I put the CO ones on CO... I was pretty annoyed after that call.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G MM
I got mine extended. I think one issue is whether you get Rapid City or the Philippines. I got the Feb extension quickly when speaking to a friendly woman at Rapid City. Their hours are only 09:00-19:00 mountain time now whereas Philippines is open 24 hours and you might get bounced over within these hours.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by gnaget
I got mine extended. I think one issue is whether you get Rapid City or the Philippines. I got the Feb extension quickly when speaking to a friendly woman at Rapid City. Their hours are only 09:00-19:00 mountain time now whereas Philippines is open 24 hours and you might get bounced over within these hours.
I was denied twice by Rapid City. Didn't bother with the Philippines, as they couldn't understand what I was trying to ask..
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by gnaget
When I canceled my UA reservation and send in the receipt of the ticket I bought to WHQ, they explained me that only MP can extend them anymore and only in very special cases.
Loosing customers to competitors isn't one of them....
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: UA MM 100k; SPG Lifetime Titanium
Have those of you who have successfully had your SWU's extended re-qualified in 2011 for 1k status in 2011?

I did not
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by PENMM
Have those of you who have successfully had your SWU's extended re-qualified in 2011 for 1k status in 2011?

I did not
I did and I was told that flying 100K miles last year was a requirement for it and then told that I didn't qualify because my 100K was not all on UA. A supervisor later extended one for me; I had two that were expiring. not sure if I could have gotten both extended if I'd had two trips to upgrade. I was already in F on the outbound.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Stupid question but for SWU's expiring on 2/29 does travel have to be completed by 2/29 or applied by 2/29?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
Stupid question but for SWU's expiring on 2/29 does travel have to be completed by 2/29 or applied by 2/29?
Travel has to start the latest on the expiration date.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wilp888
Travel has to start the latest on the expiration date.
thanks
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Just called MP (Rapid City I think).
My SWU had expired end of January and at that time I had no travel plans in February. I'm now off to LHR next week with a Dec expiring SWU in place on a ticketed reservation and thought I'd give it a shot.

UA MP credited me with a new SWU expiring end of Feb, told me to call and have it swapped with the Dec expiring one currently parked on my LHR flight after the flight. It took 2 mins with no discussion. I didn't get asked about my UA miles but may only have 90k or so on UA metal in the last year. I am a requalifying 1kMM.

So, for those of you in my situation - you may want to give it another shot if you've got SWUs that expired and Feb travel booked.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: UA1K MM, MI LTP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver
Successfully extended 2 SWU's

I had two SWU's with 4/30/12 expiration (from mid-year 2011 1K qualification). I applied them to a TATL flight yesterday but the upgrade did not clear (no surprise considering there are only 13 available seats in C on a 757 after 2 FAMs and 1 crew rest spot).

When I called MPSC to have them redeposited (4 hours before expiration), Houston call center agreed to extend them both to 12/31/12. I cited the policy outlined at the end of last year that SWU's earned anytime mid year in 2011 would be extended until 12/31. Normal procedure is that you have to call exactly 30 days before expiration to have them extended but they made an exception in this case.

Go figure, but it can be done.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ICNer
When I called MPSC to have them redeposited (4 hours before expiration), Houston call center agreed to extend them both to 12/31/12. I cited the policy outlined at the end of last year that SWU's earned anytime mid year in 2011 would be extended until 12/31. Normal procedure is that you have to call exactly 30 days before expiration to have them extended but they made an exception in this case.

Go figure, but it can be done.
Thanks for the report, ICNer. This data point may be useful for others whose SWUs have a pre-December expiration date.

This new mid-year expiration thing is extraordinarily annoying. For the first time in a few years, I'll get to 1K before the end of June, which means I have to figure out how to burn my 2013-expiring GPUs in the first half of next year. It would be a lot more useful to have them expire in 12/13.

Is anyone else interested in staging a protest or email campaign? It's hard to see how limiting the value of the perquisites for a company's best customers (such as early-requalifying 1K members) makes any kind of good business sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.