Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why do you like, love, or enjoy flying United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do you like, love, or enjoy flying United?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: their are many of them
Wink Chicago's hometown airline.... is it ur airline too? or are just here for the miles

After doing some thinking I have decided to post this and throw this question out there . Why do you like, love, or enjoy flying United. What is it that Draws You to United. everybody has a reason no matter how ridicilous it is

I know there are a number of different factors that come into play when choosing airline for travel but if your an aviation buff its more than that. You may love an airline but hate flying ti. I challange united loyalists and all you crazed fans of the "Tulip" aka united U to go into why united is your favorite carrier.

United has a Massive following and loyal crowd. Is it simply your elite status ......... or is something More and deeply personal ????

In the many years i have followed airlines and aviation i have done some serious thinking WHY do i like United Airlines so much....... I am a true Aficionado of aviation and remember some of my first plane flights. I will get into why i like united later.

I realize this is an unsual question and execpt few answers and the ones that i recieve to be shallow but i am serious interested in what others will share >??? so why do you fly united what do u like about united

Last edited by TWAB747nomore; Sep 26, 2011 at 8:47 am
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps you'd be getting some more responses if you changed your verb tense:

"Why DID you like, love, or enjoy flying United?"

Last edited by hobo13; Sep 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yeah, the silence speaks volumes unfortunately
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:35 pm

we "LOVED" flying UA because of its currently-soon-to-be-trashed superb FFP. Without that, especially compared with other international carriers, UA is really not different from US.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
SFO based -- flying international (Asia/Europe) and transcons -- airline of choice because it services my needs the best (and still does even with little international travel nowadays).
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Economy plus is it for me, being able to purchase those seats without status. I don't fly a ton, and sometimes have to spread my flying between various airline. This year I flew a lot more so I got status on a few airlines. Next year might be slightly less. Most the time I book travel on 2 weeks notice, and seating options are limited. I like being able to have extra leg room and an aisle available on short notice. I'll be losing that with the new changes, but would probably pay for E+ to get the seat guaranteed at booking.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very true statement re: "DID."

I used to enjoy flying UA -- I appreciated the aircraft, the FFP, and its hubs. I loved boarding a plane at NRT and going to SIN, knowing there was a good ol' 'merican pilot behind the controls.

From my view, the UA I used to enjoy ended with the merger. It's now CO dba UA.

Next year I will be flying AA. That feels more hometown than UA, and their 100K level is much more rewarding than UA's.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I still love flying United

I loved flying United and still do love flying United for the following reasons:
- live in Washington, DC so convenient hub out of IAD
- lots of travel to the West Coast, Europe, Middle East, Asia therefore, easy to find non-stop flights from IAD
- best Business class seats than any other US carrier
- still offers 3 class cabin on Intl flights
- member of Star Alliance - best alliance for me
- close partnership with Lufthansa - lots of flight on Lufthansa from FRA
- great Frequent Flyer Program (was great and in my opinion new changes still make it great if not better)
- always friendly flight attendants and ground crews
- one of the largest airlines in the world

Yes, as any other company, there are some ups and downs, there are some problems, but I look at the positive rather than the negative and in return I have been always treated as a VIP customer even though I am just a 1p (but soon to be 1K).
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:23 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
The sexy flight attendants and the gastronomic fare served onboard.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
There is a lot in the past...and, for me, a lot to do with UA employees I have known and become friends with...some are closer than family to me! Heck, there are FAs and CSRs I have as long longer than my wife of 30 years!! I am actually having dinner tonight with a former CTO agent I have known for nearly 40 years!!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:51 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by aw
The sexy flight attendants and the gastronomic fare served onboard.
You forgot the loads of top shelf liquour they give you w/out asking for more that made you make such a comment.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:32 pm

I am 6'4'' and have been able to fly E+ 99% of time as 2p or 1p for last 5 years or so-----and that alone is a great thing----
Plus, i fly out of sfo to italy/munich----LH and UA are best bet.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
- Based in Chicago so its an easy choice
- Economy Plus
- Free headphones in coach that are not earbuds
- Flat business class seats

I don't love flying UA, its just the lesser of evils
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
United has a Massive following and loyal crowd.
Not so fast. United has loyal top-level elites, but they're experiencing a whole different airline. I don't think UA has a "massive" following at all; there are people who stick around for E+ and a decent FF program, but they're fans of the perks, not the product. Taking those two factors off the radar for most elites is like turning off gravity; there's nothing holding you down anymore.

There's an interesting analogy in Microsoft. One of the biggest permanent strategic mistakes Microsoft makes in its non-enterprise business is mistaking hostages for fans. It thinks people vote enthusiastically for Windows and Office when most folks are just resigned to them. Nobody loves Office or thinks it's cool. People endure Office because it's ubiquitous and compatible. UA may not know it because they spend most of their customer-contact energy stroking 1Ks, but I think you can say the same about most of the broad UA user base.

I don't like, love or enjoy flying United. Haven't for years. It's a shabby, unreliable product for everyone and an especially (perhaps intentionally) bad experience for those without status. I have always thought boarding a typical United flight was like arriving at someone's home for a dinner party right after the host couple has had a huge fight. They don't want you there, and you don't want to stay, but we all said we'd do this, so let's just try to get through it.

Having said that, as a transplant from CO I was ready to give the new deal a try... until UA tricked me into flying 35k miles this year in pursuit of 2012 FF benefits that just got cancelled.

Now I think the airline can go pi$$ up a rope, and I suspect many other sub-1K passengers feel the same. To many of them it's a chaotic, poisonous organization that has always placed customer needs dead last. Customers should return the favor.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:24 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by rustyr
You forgot the loads of top shelf liquour they give you w/out asking for more that made you make such a comment.
Not at all, otherwise my praises would not have been so restrained.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.