Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it's called a "Million Miler Program" for a reason. Half a million isn't a million.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by greg
If United intends to recognize 1M milers with lifetime Gold status (a very generous offer), shouldn't they go ahead and extend anyone with 500K actual miles lifetime Silver status?
Only if they want to make lifetime status easier, and there is no indication that they do.

After all, what exactly would they be giving away anyway.
Lifetime status.

Gold is worth double what Silver is worth, right?
No.

United already trounced AA by offering Gold for 1M. United would further its competitive advantage over AAdvantage by offering Silver for 500K.
Not much value in that "competitive advantage" IMO.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Goosh

Please please please give us a choice between the spousal benefit and annual RPU/GPU. The spousal benefit has no meaning for so many of us. Please!
My spouse has been deceased for years and I have no "significant other" which means that the benefit after reaching million mile status is severely reduced when you consider that two CR-1s will not be given and that we will earn only 50% bonus on miles flown and we have another elite status added ahead of us.

This change makes a lot of us unhappy.

Why is there not a choice to have either a spouse or the former CR-1s?

This new formula is a total shaft to those who remained loyal and earned their million mile status. Not a pretty picture by any means.
-

Originally Posted by bmvaughn

You're welcome to expect them, but they were never noted as lifetime.

That combined with the right of UA to change M+... you get where I'm going.
It is all in semantics - "every year" implies for life.

Yes, UA has a right to change the program.

However, to change it to the detriment of loyal passengers who chose UA over other carriers in order to make million-mile status is quite a slap in the face for those of us who stayed loyal to UA.

It is clear that UA is no longer UA but, instead, Continental with the word UNITED painted on the side of the fuselage.
-

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 29, 2011 at 10:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
Originally Posted by mogulskiir
Additionally I couldn’t agree more with the other post above that MM status should be figured into the upgrade scheme. A 1k MM should clear before a 1K, a Plat MM should clear before a Plat. That just makes sense.
+1 I'm a 1.7MM BIS guy but my lifetime status is not factored into upgrades. I'm 1K 18 yrs in a row (early yrs on segments) and tomorrow I'm flying MEM > IAH and IAH > SFO, all in coach <sigh>. dave
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I guess it's called a "Million Miler Program" for a reason. Half a million isn't a million.
How about Million Kilometerer?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA MM
After years with US, then NW, then CO, then nobody, and now CO/UA, and having been both rewarded and screwed by all of them, I've lost any sentimental attachment to any airline, and I doubt I'll ever develop one again.

But I must say that MM programs keep me interested. I intend to raise my 700k with CO to 1M with the merged UA. (And regret all the useless LFMs on US and NW.)

With an international marriage and (modest) international real estate holdings, I really don't want to be put through the steerage wringer when I need to travel when I'm elderly.

It's a definite quality of life issue. I can see myself travelling longer (and, ahem, buying tickets longer), if I have things like lounge access on international and easier check-in / seat assignments.

So, SMI/J and friends: Don't screw this up.

It's the only 'benefit' I care about anymore. I've had perks awarded and taken away, and I'm pretty cynical about it. If you uphold your promise to treat me and my wife decently when we're old, however, and I'll be satisfied.

Otherwise, I'll be one bitter fracker.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Note DL's wording, as compared to "Lifetime":
Members who reach one million Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Silver Medallion status.
Members who reach two million Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Gold Medallion status.
Members who reach four million plus Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Platinum Medallion status.
Source: SkyMiles website. (Bolding mine.)
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Why is there not a choice to have either a spouse or the former CR-1s?
Mrs. Fredd and I both reached Million Mile status virtually simultaneously earlier this year. As others have lost benefits because they are single, we have "lost" benefits because we are married and monogamous.

We now lose our upgrades and UA has spelled out very specifically that we're not allowed to designate anybody other than a spouse or "significant other" at the same address (or who "shares" the same last name) to partake of our benefits.

This new policy carries the odd whiff of discrimination. It's UA's own 21st century version of being required to show one's marriage license at the hotel check-in desk.

For example, if one's mistress isn't in a ménage à trois arrangement at the same address, she will be denied the benefits of co-Million-Mile status unless she coincidentally "shares" the identical last name.

What exactly is UA promoting here?

• A companion is defined as your spouse or significant other who either resides at the same address as you, based on your MileagePlus profile information, or shares your last name.

• Your children, other family members, friends or co-workers are not eligible for this benefit.

Despite my annoyance, I have to chuckle at the unwitting corporate hilarity.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: 1 Million Miles UA, joined MP 1982
Really happy with the new program

Given all the possibilities, this is a pretty good accommodation especially given they will now go back the 30 years I've been in UA MP and recalculate the EQM which will give me a nice bump to the next level. Quite honestly, leveling the playing field once so both CO and UA long time flyers are on the same track is an unexpected give. Plus adding in a 75K layer is great because there are some years when 100K isn't possible and getting some recognition an benefit for being close is great.

My wife and I don't fly together for family reasons so giving her status is great.

Overall, very happy.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
While there are many MP changes I don't like I am pretty happy about the Million Miler program. I hit 2MM BIS tomorrow (ORD-ATL) and therefore get the lifetime United Club membership I have coveted for so long, the extra CR-1s and SWUs and the new 0P status for life. The recalibration should give me another 250K as well toward lifetime 1K and move me inexorably closer to the Holy Grail (lifetime GS).
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
So a person would just flies two RTs to use the 4 GPUs instead 3 RTs with 6 GPUs. Not sure that helps UA's business.

And I wonder if a liftetime 1K who intends to build up credentials in AA anyway, is all that smart by flying addtional 80K miles just to get two more GPUs.
Actually that isn't what I said, I said they should give 4 GPUs and if you fly 100K in the year you get 6 more, right now you are getting 6 GPUs whether you fly 100K or you don't fly. If they are going to give me 6 GPUs no matter what, I'll fly 2 r/ts 1 with my g/f and 1 by myself and be done with it... if I get 6 more for flying 100K I'd probably shoot for flying 100K.

I'm one that WOULD fly UA to just use my GPUs and then go fly AA for the remaining 100 as I fly 200K a year on my own dime, I'm not one of those people that have been lucky enough to get all these benefits paid for by someone else, so to me, if you're going to give me nothing additional for being loyal and flying 100K each year after I hit lifetime 1K, I'll go fly AA and get 6 GPUs from UA for free and then go fly AA and earn 8 eVIPs.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Those may have to stop flying UA are mainly because they are too old to fly for business. I know I am retiring. I stayed with UA as much as I could, sufferring from indirect routes, more expensive tickets, and inferior services the past several years not because of 1K qualification or the extra SWUs. Most of the years I had EQM 150K+, and I give most SWUs to families or friends or use for domestic as I fly Z fares overseas. I stayed with UA because I hope to hit 3MM BIS when I retire, when I have to fly EC fare tickets. UA is not dumb when they get me to buy 3 more RT BC fare tickets each year for many years and in return allow me the chance to UG three RT EC tickets in my retirment years. The GPUs will not hurt UA's bottom line when I retire as it does when a business flyer upgrading to, instead of paying for, BC; because after retiring I most unlikely will pay revenue BC any way. Doing this also assures that these three EC RT revenues will go to UA rather than some other airlines.
What I am saying here is that they have the chance to keep getting additional revenue.. if you're only willing to fly UA to use your systemwides then why are you worth as much as someone that does fly 100K a year? Yes you were loyal and put in your time, and you should be rewarded for that, and a nice reward is to say here are 4 GPUs, thank you for your business and if you want to keep flying with us more, we'll give you 6 MORE GPUs if you fly 100K this year with us.

You're looking at this thinking OH but they are going to get 1 extra flight by giving 6, but they probably won't get more than that really. IF you give 4 and say fly 100K with us this year and we'll give you 6 more, heck I'm flying 100K, but the NEWLY announced scheme gives no reason to fly more than 3 flights r/t
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, over 1.3 lifetime miles
I hope you'll send your thoughts to

[email protected]
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by SF1K
I've thought about all this for a few days and I do now agree that if they made a simple adjustment only for those United Million Milers that are already over 1 Million miles then things would be fairer and happier.

Those of us that are already MM on all UA BIS should get Platinum Premier and 2 Regional Upgrades for every year. The only thing downgrade would be 25% mileage earning (100% down to 75%) which would be made up by the spouse/S.O. benefit.

If they can grandfather benefits for lifetime RCC members then why can't they do it for UA 1MM BIS flyers?

I've sent a note off to 1K voice. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly suprised for once. Not holding my breath, but who knows.

Thanks SF1K !!! I completely agree with you !!! As I said in my post, United completely screwed existing 1MMs in this deal. They could and should grandfather us to Premier Platinum status. 50% bonus miles and 3rd in priority is a SERIOUS downgrade. I stress this again... Obtaining 1MM status up to now was much more difficult because it only counted paid flying miles. Now with this one-time adjustment for United that now are 1MMs and the merger with the Continental 1MMs, there will be way more 1MMs now who I am sure are very happy about this new plan. They're the real winners.

The big fat losers are United's existing 1MMs. Thanks for nothing!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
My case is that I am single, unattached, and staying this way. But I keep thinking of the Vera Farmiga and George Clooney characters. What would they do?

There must be a choice.

And I think people who say the alternative should be a couple of upgrades (albeit not trivial) are selling waaay short. It should be reinstituting the (Red Carpet/United) Club privilege. It's not a new benefit. Yes, the crowded RCCs do have us running to *A partner lounges overseas. But the new UACO will have the same proportional number of club rooms and beneficiaries as now. Usage would very unlikely stress that zero-sum situation as badly as the upgrades would -- and what are the few thousand miles it takes for a MM to upgrade? Usually pretty trivial. I actually think UACO - if pushed - would prefer to have the alternative be a couple of upgrades rather than the Club privilege. Just think of all the upgrade cert "breakage" -- e.g., when someone just doesn't get around to using them, or there isn't space available, or the willingness to pay the upsell to use them.

Last edited by Firewind; Sep 30, 2011 at 1:11 am
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
It is clear that UA is no longer UA but, instead, Continental with the word UNITED painted on the side of the fuselage.
-
No news there then. You just have to look at the "new" livery. If that doesn't tell you something nothing will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.