Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Firewind
A refresher on DL's MM competitive value proposition:

Members who reach four million plus Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Platinum Medallion status.
True, then again Amex Centurion card holders also get complimentary DL Platinum status, with the tier gift included each year. Think of the heck that would be unleashed if United gave 1K status to all Centurion members! Flyertalk would hit some new posting records.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:35 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DCguy20036
This is fantastic news for United flyers. I have been silver or gold (mostly gold) nearly every year in which I have earned my 820,000 miles. As I understand this, I will immediately be around 1.5 million miles, plus the 100,000 Continental lifetime miles that I have. I'm also happy about the addition of a United Platinum level at 75,000 since I ALWAYS seem to be stuck in the purgatory between 75,000 and 100,000 miles. Since the 2 million miler lifetime membership to United Red Carpet Club ("United Club" as of this Saturday, October 1, 2011) has evaporated (since the number of million mile flyers will go through the roof overnight once everyone's miles are recalculated), I also bit the bullet and bought a lifetime membership to the Continental President's Club before the deadline of this Friday (see my separate post). First I linked my UA and CO statuses, giving me GOLD on CO.

Maybe I am just an optimist, but almost all of these changes look great to me (other than the fact that *A Gold will now only get 50% bonus redemtion miles now, Platinum 75% and 1k 100%).
I agree with DCguy20036 about the positive side of the changes, but I am not anything like as optimistic about the likely step-up in my UA miles from the EQM adjustment, mainly because I almost always fly on an Economy fare.
I have flown mainly on UA for the last ten years, and I am now at 720,000 lifetime miles with UA. I was looking at another 5 plus years to make Million Miler with UA, but I also had 1,185,000 lifetime miles on CO, most of which were earned in the 1980's. Suddenly, I will be at 1,905,000 combined lifetime miles with the prospect of a few more miles from the UA EQM adjustment.
The million lifetime miles on CO got me lifetime Silver, which didn't do anything for me at all, but the combination will put me at lifetime Gold and possibly lifetime Platinum. At the very least, I will make lifetime Platinum in 2012. Overall, it is the best I could possibly have hoped for from the merger.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Thanks for the information. This sounds like quite a deal. I have 1.8 MM on CO, 1.1 MM on UA, but I've been flying UA since the 80's with lots of BC/FC on UA, along with LH, SQ, SK, TG, etc. So will all that be totaled up? How can I get an estimate of what this will be? Assuming this puts my total past 3MM (who knows, I may be pushing 4!) and that puts me at 1K for life, do the new rules mean 6 GPUs/yr for me in my declining years?? Thanks again.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Thanks for the information. This sounds like quite a deal. I have 1.8 MM on CO, 1.1 MM on UA, but I've been flying UA since the 80's with lots of BC/FC on UA, along with LH, SQ, SK, TG, etc. So will all that be totaled up? How can I get an estimate of what this will be? Assuming this puts my total past 3MM (who knows, I may be pushing 4!) and that puts me at 1K for life, do the new rules mean 6 GPUs/yr for me in my declining years?? Thanks again.
Zero gpus for life. Return that bag, it has no pony.
Originally Posted by Kl34c
Originally Posted by mre5765
When the 1k program changed last year to award swus only upon earning 100k eqms and notmevery January, the result was that 3mmers did not get 6 swus in january. They had to earn 100k eqms. Its over, accept the deval.
Are you lifetime 1k with confirm information on this???!!! The only certainty we know is the timing of the award of the SWUs. No information any where that being qualify for 1k for the following calendar year will not get you SWUs.
We have too many sour grape hoping that SWUs are not awarded to lifetime as that will "dilute" their immediate chance of upgrade (likely that they buy the lowest fare for SWU upgrade). Why the worry and bad attitude towards veterans?
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You appear to be another person who thinks a bag of equine excrement holds a pony.

UAs website says two things about the pmua Mileage Plus program. One, 1ks get swus when they fly 100k, period. Two, 3mmers get 1k status for life, some one time swus, and a gift. Period, nada else.

As for your insimuation that i think this is right or i like it, maybe you should read some more of my posts. Im not happy that as a mmer, I wont get rpus every January. I dont need your accusations, ok?

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 27, 2011 at 7:18 am
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
OK, thanks for the reality check!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by 5khours
Yes, you are correct, but.... there is a real opportunity cost in terms of real lost revenue and this varies depending on how I use and acquire my miles. Regardless of who is counting and how they count, UA would rather have me use my miles to buy a $1000 ticket that to have me use the same number of miles to buy a ticket that costs $4400 less that what I would otherwise have bought. The reduction in the liability is the same, but UA is out a lot more revenue if I use the upgrade.
That would be an accurate analysis IF the $6000 seat in question would actually be sold.

Considering that business class cabins routinely go out with seats available, or at the very least, upgrades occur at the gate 45 minutes before departure, then that does not appear to be the case.

We can discuss whether fliers have been "trained" for this -- ie, if I can get C for the price of Y, then why buy C -- but that's almost an impossible revenue opportunity cost question for us to answer.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
Zero gpus for life. Return that bag, it has no pony.

Welcome to Flyertalk.

You appear to be another person who thinks a bag of equine excrement holds a pony.

UAs website says two things about the pmua Mileage Plus program. One, 1ks get swus when they fly 100k, period. Two, 3mmers get 1k status for life, some one time swus, and a gift. Period, nada else.

As for your insimuation that i think this is right or i like it, maybe you should read some more of my posts. Im not happy that as a mmer, I wont get rpus every January. I dont need your accusations, ok?
No accusations here. Just tired of seeing matter of fact statements on this while many others still hold different interpretations of the language of the program. Many people has been asking for United to clarify this point directly, but no news from them. Alternatively, It will be good to hear directly from someone who is lifetime 1K with real first hand experience with this. Any lifetime 1Ks receive SWUs before and not receiving it this year (given that you did not reach 100K EQM for 2010 and 2011)? I am hoping that we get an accurate answer here instead of implying strongly with your own interpretations of a significant change that might or might not have occurred. It is not just you, so no hard feelings. ok

Last edited by Kl34c; Sep 27, 2011 at 10:52 am
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
It will be good to hear directly from someone who is lifetime 1K who has real experience with this.
There is no "someone" who is lifetime under the program ... it is a NEW program that isn't even in effect yet.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
There is no "someone" who is lifetime under the program ... it is a NEW program that isn't even in effect yet.
Lifetime 1K was given about 2-3 years ago and there are some lifetime 1K out there. The only question might be if there is any lifetime 1K who did not reach 1K by flying since that program and would have direct experience to speak from. Most of the lifetime 1K must still be 1K or GS from flying in the last 2 years as the program is still relatively new.

Lifetime 1Ks were not given the SWUs on top of SWUs that they gained through flying, eg. no 6+6. But the reward is meant for veteran flyers when they retire from flying as much. That has been the promise from United to lifetime 1K as of 2 years ago.

If SWUs is only given to 100K EQMers, then it should have said SWUs is given to any MP members immediately upon meeting that, why did it say 1K flying 100K in a given year will be awarded that right away? I think the change might be the timing of award and not a matter of some 1K will not be getting them. That is a fair assumption given that United has kept lifetime program relatively non-specific in the past when they do not have to deal with many actual flyers in those situation.

Last edited by Kl34c; Sep 27, 2011 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Lifetime 1K was given about 2-3 years ago and there are some lifetime 1K out there. The only question might be if there is any lifetime 1K who did not reach 1K by flying since that program and would have direct experience to speak from. Most of the lifetime 1K must still be 1K or GS from flying in the last 2 years as the program is still relatively new.

Lifetime 1Ks were not given the SWUs on top of SWUs that they gained through flying, eg. no 6+6. But the reward is meant for veteran flyers when they retire from flying as much. That has been the promise from United to lifetime 1K as of 2 years ago.

If SWUs is only given to 100K EQMers, then it should have said SWUs is given to any MP members immediately upon meeting that, why did it say 1K flying 100K in a given year will be awarded that right away? I think the change might be the timing of award and not a matter of some 1K will not be getting them. That is a fair assumption given that United has kept lifetime program relatively non-specific in the past when they do not have to deal with many actual flyers in those situation.
I think you're missing the point that what happened in the past to CURRENT MMers is irrelevant as again, this is a NEW program with NEW rules.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by travel.flier
Totally agree it sucks for single flyers. It's like a frequent flyer marriage penalty. It seems like giving an option to choose each year wouldn't be such a bad thing for the company for either CR1's or a companion status. It would actually be easier to just allow a companion match and forget the word "spousal" or requirement for the same address. if i'm single and want to give it to my mom or uncle or aunt or brother, why am i being discrimitated against.
I sent email to 1Kvoice about it, and got this reply.

Dear XXX:

Thank you for contacting United Continental Holdings, Inc.

The MileagePlus(R) Million Miller program will reward members for extraordinary, long-term loyalty to United(R), Continental(R) and Copa Airlines(R).

Starting January 1, 2012, flight miles on the new United (including Continental),Copa Airlines or Copa Airlines Colombia will accrue toward Million Miler status. Until that time, MileagePlus and OnePass members will continue to earn toward status and benefits in their respective programs.

We evaluated the MileagePlus(R) and OnePass(R) lifetime recognition programs based on a lot of feedback from members who had already reached one million miles and more. These members made it clear that program status was what mattered most, and being able to extend that status to a spouse or significant other was almost as important.

These benefits will be effective late in the first quarter of 2012.

Complete details are available at www.mileageplusmergerupdates.com.

We are building an airline that will earn your confidence and approval.
We thank you for your patience and appreciate your loyalty.

Regards,

XXXX XXXX
United Airlines Customer Care

Bold is mine.
I didn't know UA asked current Million Milers feedback before...
It looks she just copied pasted general reply.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm Reason: per policy
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by kluau88
If you can pick up close to 600,000 EQM that would be pretty darn amazing but that would have meant either a lot of *A flying or COS EQM bonuses.
I'm currently at 590,000 BIS/PMUA MM miles, and looks like I will hit 1,040,000 with this adjustment. A few years ago when triple EQM was offered I only hit about 140,000 BIS but nearly 350,000 EQM....this is a huge ^ for me!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loyal International customers the big loosers

With the stripping of SWUs, and if there are no GPUs the loyal UA overseas customer is the big looser. Whatever is left e.g. of the 3MM 1K benefits might be ok for the domestic/N.A. American flyer but is of little or no value for the overseas flier.

Even worse for the flier who does not need spousal match.

I see very little incentive for the UA international flier to stay loyal to reach 3MM or 4MM. Very disappointing, as most of those customers provide some of the most profitable business for UA.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
A few years ago when triple EQM was offered I only hit about 140,000 BIS but nearly 350,000 EQM....this is a huge ^ for me!
At CO we only saw DEQM's. Maybe the pendulum is starting to swing the other way!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
With the stripping of SWUs, and if there are no GPUs the loyal UA overseas customer is the big looser. Whatever is left e.g. of the 3MM 1K benefits might be ok for the domestic/N.A. American flyer but is of little or no value for the overseas flier.

Even worse for the flier who does not need spousal match.

I see very little incentive for the UA international flier to stay loyal to reach 3MM or 4MM. Very disappointing, as most of those customers provide some of the most profitable business for UA.
or domestic customer, e.g. heavy LAX, SYN customers. Retired people who can affort to pay for premium international ticket will likely not opt to fly UA to Asia or South Pacific. It is those veteran still need to fly on lower fare tickets who will pay for the ticket to UA because of SWUs rewards given to them for their past loyalty. A reduction of SWUs to 3mm lifetime 1K may be acceptable as they do not fly that much any more, but the total removal is a crime.

Last edited by Kl34c; Sep 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.