Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Yes we do absolutely know.

I was wrong when I said "read this thread" since it was in the larger thread, but you get the point I hope.
Thanks. This helps a lot. Insider does call DEQM a "promotion" as distinguished from "bonus" EQMS. And the UA website only refers to "bonus" EQMs. But I'm sure Insider is the final word on this. Although...he does say it would include all EQMs going back to the beginning of the MP program. But as has been discussed above, EQMs do not go back to the beginning of the program. Potential can of worms.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
My MP History Dump shows a 50% Fare class bonus for a FC trip that I took in 1986 on AF.
That was likely a bonus RDM, not a bonus EQM.

I seem to recall when 1K was first created, perhaps around 1991?? one has to fly 100,000K BIS miles to qualify. Can someone with a better memory tell us when did fare bonus EQM start?

Originally Posted by JetAway
Although...he does say it would include all EQMs going back to the beginning of the MP program. But as has been discussed above, EQMs do not go back to the beginning of the program. Potential can of worms.
"all EQMs going back to the beginning of the MP program" and "EQMs do not go back to the beginning of the program" are not conflicting. So it is clear: All EQMs since the beginning of EQM, bonus EQM, DEQM, partner EQM,...everything.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 26, 2011 at 7:06 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by wilp888
If you had read my post, I was replying to the speculation that million milers would get the upgrade awards of their status level even if they had not flown the required miles. I was not commenting on the upgrade awards that one earn from flying the required mileage. Nobody said that the SWUs would be eliminated.
Sorry for the delay in responding to your post. I am interpreting the elimination of gifted items to only be annual CR1's and the one time SWU's that were gifted. I do not believe that for 3 MMers (Lifetime 1K in both the old UA and the new UA sytem), SWU's will be eliminated if one falls short of the mileage requirements for a particular year. That is the way the old 3MMers were treated at UA ........ 6 SWU's annualy whether or not 100k was flown in a given year.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
That was likely a bonus RDM, not a bonus EQM.
My point is that the data exists and I hopefully will be credited with the Bonus EQM's like CO flyers have been in the past.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Sep 26, 2011 at 4:43 pm
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
"all EQMs going back to the beginning of the MP program" and "EQMs do not go back to the beginning of the program" are not conflicting. So it is clear: All EQMs since the beginning of EQM, bonus EQM, DEQM, partner EQM,...everything.
What about "Premier Qualifying Miles"? The nomenclature changed but the concept didn't. Like others, I requested and received a MP Data Purge for my account. Detail is pretty good for the last 2-3 years but gets fuzzier the further back you go. But it illustrates the complexity of the problem UA/CO may face in this conversion. I know they've carefully thought this through but the practical implementation may be something else.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Easy way to think about this... UA has always had a threshold to make status for each year and a way to calculate your progress against that status.

In 2004 and since, that was EQM. They know your annual EQM.

Prior to that it was your annual flight miles, they know that too since they had to determine whether you met the threshold.

Sum all of those together, that's your new lifetime flight miles.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
...Potential can of worms.
I'm amazing at the degree to whcih people can over think this.

Go back to first principals -- it was clearlt stated the intent was to equalize the program differences. CO had included all EQMs from all sources (including the equivalent eqms prior to the use of the eqm concept). All UA is stating is they will do the same for everyone in MP. And once everyone is on same footing, then the program going forward will be based on BIS earnings.

Seems very simple and straightforward and the only practical way to bring everyone to the same footing given the data they have access to.

it is just that simple folks. Thinking about the stated intent will answer most questions.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Go back to first principals -- it was clearlt stated the intent was to equalize the program differences. CO had included all EQMs from all sources (including the equivalent eqms prior to the use of the eqm concept). All UA is stating is they will do the same for everyone in MP. And going forward everyone with only earn BIS.

See very simple and straightforward and the only practical way to bring everyone to the same footing given the data they have access to.

it is just that simple folks. Think about the stated intent will answer most questions.
+1, but with the tendency of folks (not necessarily this specific poster, but generally) to not read entire threads, this is the impact... the same question multiple times, asked multiple ways.

Seems it would be way easier to build out the Wiki and provide references there to have a consistent version of the truth.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Originally Posted by 5khours
Because it is often better for UA from a revenue point of view.

E.g - If I UG a $1600 W fare instead of buying a $6000 C fare, the revenue hit to UA is $4400. If I get an economy award ticket for the same miles instead of buying a a cheap economy fare, the revenue hit to UA is maybe a $1000. If I was UA I would try to have a policy which incentivizes my customers to do what is best for my revenue/income.
I'm going to disagree here... it's somewhat picky, but might as well get the terms correct. Upgrading a ticket (at least assuming you use miles or a SWU only) is *not* a revenue event. Buying the ticket is a revenue event. The upgrade is just an extremely small reduction in liabilities... the company has to account for FF miles and upgrades as a liability on the books, so when you use them they no longer count "against" the company. A mileage award ticket is the same thing: it's a reduction in liabilities but has NOTHING to do with revenue.

The only "negative revenue" example that I can think of immediately is a ticket where actual cash or equivalent money back to a credit card is refunded. Those refunds have to be accounted for directly against revenue: they booked the revenue when you bought the ticket, now they de-book the revenue due to the refund.

The issuance of a voucher or other credit is also NOT a revenue event, that example just adds to the liabilities. And these liabilities are NOT valued at 100% of face, because at least statistically they are not always used.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
My MP History Dump shows a 50% Fare class bonus for a FC trip that I took in 1986 on AF.

And I interpret this to mean that only the CR1's (that was really the only annual gift that MM'er got in the past) will be taken away. 1K 's were awarded 6 SWU's in the past for achieving that level of flying and those awards will not be eliminated. The spouse will not be awarded SWU's by virtue of being named a companion.
When the 1k program changed last year to award swus only upon earning 100k eqms and notmevery January, the result was that 3mmers did not get 6 swus in january. They had to earn 100k eqms. Its over, accept the deval.

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Why would you accrue mileage for an award trip on any metal?
Accrue mm qualification not rdm or eqm. I agree with the proposal.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: United 1k and Million Miler, Starwood Platinum and lifetime Gold, United Club Lifetime Member
Thumbs up My lifetime miles UA will soon nearly double due to this recalculation.

This is fantastic news for United flyers. I have been silver or gold (mostly gold) nearly every year in which I have earned my 820,000 miles. As I understand this, I will immediately be around 1.5 million miles, plus the 100,000 Continental lifetime miles that I have. I'm also happy about the addition of a United Platinum level at 75,000 since I ALWAYS seem to be stuck in the purgatory between 75,000 and 100,000 miles. Since the 2 million miler lifetime membership to United Red Carpet Club ("United Club" as of this Saturday, October 1, 2011) has evaporated (since the number of million mile flyers will go through the roof overnight once everyone's miles are recalculated), I also bit the bullet and bought a lifetime membership to the Continental President's Club before the deadline of this Friday (see my separate post). First I linked my UA and CO statuses, giving me GOLD on CO.

Maybe I am just an optimist, but almost all of these changes look great to me (other than the fact that *A Gold will now only get 50% bonus redemtion miles now, Platinum 75% and 1k 100%).
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by DCguy20036
This is fantastic news for United flyers. I have been silver or gold (mostly gold) nearly every year in which I have earned my 820,000 miles. As I understand this, I will immediately be around 1.5 million miles, plus the 100,000 Continental lifetime miles that I have. I'm also happy about the addition of a United Platinum level at 75,000 since I ALWAYS seem to be stuck in the purgatory between 75,000 and 100,000 miles. Since the 2 million miler lifetime membership to United Red Carpet Club ("United Club" as of this Saturday, October 1, 2011) has evaporated (since the number of million mile flyers will go through the roof overnight once everyone's miles are recalculated), I also bit the bullet and bought a lifetime membership to the Continental President's Club before the deadline of this Friday (see my separate post). First I linked my UA and CO statuses, giving me GOLD on CO.

Maybe I am just an optimist, but almost all of these changes look great to me (other than the fact that *A Gold will now only get 50% bonus redemtion miles now, Platinum 75% and 1k 100%).
Welcome to Flyertalk! You might want to recheck your math as the recalculation for lifetime miles will be in terms of EQM not RDM.

If you can pick up close to 600,000 EQM that would be pretty darn amazing but that would have meant either a lot of *A flying or COS EQM bonuses.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:07 pm

[QUOTE=mre5765;17178329]When the 1k program changed last year to award swus only upon earning 100k eqms and notmevery January, the result was that 3mmers did not get 6 swus in january. They had to earn 100k eqms. Its over, accept the deval.

Are you lifetime 1k with confirm information on this???!!! The only certainty we know is the timing of the award of the SWUs. No information any where that being qualify for 1k for the following calendar year will not get you SWUs.
We have too many sour grape hoping that SWUs are not awarded to lifetime as that will "dilute" their immediate chance of upgrade (likely that they buy the lowest fare for SWU upgrade). Why the worry and bad attitude towards veterans?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Go back to first principals -- it was clearlt stated the intent was to equalize the program differences. CO had included all EQMs from all sources (including the equivalent eqms prior to the use of the eqm concept). All UA is stating is they will do the same for everyone in MP. And once everyone is on same footing, then the program going forward will be based on BIS earnings.

Seems very simple and straightforward and the only practical way to bring everyone to the same footing given the data they have access to.

it is just that simple folks. Thinking about the stated intent will answer most questions.
Well, Tuesday's WSJ has a story on some of the issues facings UA/CO, including IT issues, so it's not clear it's that "simple."

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
+1, but with the tendency of folks (not necessarily this specific poster, but generally) to not read entire threads, this is the impact... the same question multiple times, asked multiple ways.

Seems it would be way easier to build out the Wiki and provide references there to have a consistent version of the truth.
Yes. Not everyone is going to read through 29 pages of an internet thread to glean the answer to one question. And why should they??

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 26, 2011 at 8:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Post The competition

Originally Posted by Firewind

DL held the line on its MM status program through its acquisition of NW, and is still holding.
A refresher on DL's MM competitive value proposition:

Million Miler Status

The Million Miler™ Program recognizes and rewards those customers who have flown an exceptional amount with us.

Members who reach one million Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Silver Medallion status.
Members who reach two million Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Gold Medallion status.
Members who reach four million plus Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Platinum Medallion status.
Every time you reach a new level of Million Miler status you will have the opportunity to choose an exclusive gift as a token of our appreciation.

Million Miler balances are based on total Medallion Qualification Miles earned over a member’s lifetime.
Medallion Qualification Calculation

Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) are used as a counter to determine SkyMiles Medallion status. MQMs can be earned through flight activity, or SkyMiles partner activity. Medallion status can also be earned through the total number of segments flown. All paid fare cases eligible to earn MQMs count towards Qualification Segments...

[...annual tiers]

MQMs earned through flight activity are calculated based on distance traveled and fare class purchased on Delta, Delta Connection®, Delta Shuttle®, SkyTeam partners, and Alaska Airlines. Qualification Segments are earned through flight activity on Delta, Delta Connection, Delta Shuttle, SkyTeam partners, and Alaska Airlines. Each airline calculates elite status qualification differently. SkyMiles members do not earn MQMs or Qualification Segments on China Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, and Singapore Airlines operated flights.
Source: Delta SkyMiles Medallion Benefits. Bolding and italics are mine.

You'll need to look up what the specific benefits of each level are because I think I'm finished for tonight...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by ljwobker
I'm going to disagree here... it's somewhat picky, but might as well get the terms correct. Upgrading a ticket (at least assuming you use miles or a SWU only) is *not* a revenue event. Buying the ticket is a revenue event. The upgrade is just an extremely small reduction in liabilities... the company has to account for FF miles and upgrades as a liability on the books, so when you use them they no longer count "against" the company. A mileage award ticket is the same thing: it's a reduction in liabilities but has NOTHING to do with revenue.

The only "negative revenue" example that I can think of immediately is a ticket where actual cash or equivalent money back to a credit card is refunded. Those refunds have to be accounted for directly against revenue: they booked the revenue when you bought the ticket, now they de-book the revenue due to the refund.

The issuance of a voucher or other credit is also NOT a revenue event, that example just adds to the liabilities. And these liabilities are NOT valued at 100% of face, because at least statistically they are not always used.
Yes, you are correct, but.... there is a real opportunity cost in terms of real lost revenue and this varies depending on how I use and acquire my miles. Regardless of who is counting and how they count, UA would rather have me use my miles to buy a $1000 ticket that to have me use the same number of miles to buy a ticket that costs $4400 less that what I would otherwise have bought. The reduction in the liability is the same, but UA is out a lot more revenue if I use the upgrade.

Originally Posted by Firewind
A refresher on DL's MM competitive value proposition:

Source: Delta SkyMiles Medallion Benefits. Bolding and italics are mine.

You'll need to look up what the specific benefits of each level are because I think I'm finished for tonight...
The Delta MM program is such a slap in the face to it's loyal customers that I will probably never fly them again even if they upgrade the premium seating on the international fleet and fix their "Worst in Class" FF program.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.