Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy

You do have some legitimate arguments. Why throw a ridiculous one into the mix?
Being demoted one notch in the pecking order for upgrades is, to quote you, ridiculous?

I doubt that you will get any serious million-miler to agree that being disappointed over being demoted is ridiculous.
-
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Being demoted one notch in the pecking order for upgrades is, to quote you, ridiculous?

I doubt that you will get any serious million-miler to agree that being disappointed over being demoted is ridiculous.
-
I was a Premier Executive when it was the very top level and earned 125% bonus. Then they added 1K (and dropped the bonus to 100%), moving PE to the second level. Then they added GS, moving PE to the third level (not exactly, but feels that way in the benefits hierarchy).

Adding Platinum now, dropping PE to level four, and even reducing the PE bonus further was entirely predictable (and I did predict it in an earlier post). With the Premier Executive name going away, they could logically have chosen to map it to either the equivalent new rank (Platinum) for PMUA MMs or, as they did, to the new 50k earned level (Gold). What makes their choice seem particularly unfair, though, is the differential treatment given to Infinite Elites, who started out at the Gold level themselves and have now jumped up two levels above that.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:26 pm

Quick question: I'm at over 997,000 flight miles now with no more 2011 trips scheduled. I expect plenty of eqms to push me well over 1,000,000, but this is whenever their computer does their thing and posts them. Is there any disadvantage to waiting for this posting other than delayed spousal benefit? Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shortamile
Quick question: I'm at over 997,000 flight miles now with no more 2011 trips scheduled. I expect plenty of eqms to push me well over 1,000,000, but this is whenever their computer does their thing and posts them. Is there any disadvantage to waiting for this posting other than delayed spousal benefit? Thanks
if you made 1MM this year, you will received 3 SWUs and 2 CR1s. If you wait till next year or for the recalibration, you will get no SWUs or CR1s.

I would fly those 3K miles needed in 2011 if I was in your position.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by joel67

snip snip

What makes their choice seem particularly unfair, though, is the differential treatment given to Infinite Elites, who started out at the Gold level themselves and have now jumped up two levels above that.
-
I agree. I cannot imagine how the new United management could conceive of such an unfair and biased thing to do - demote loyal UA million-milers and promote and elevate in status, Continental Infinite Elites to 1K for life.

This is not only discriminatory, it is totally bizarre!

An e-mail to Jeffery Foland is certainly in order asking for a explanation about this blatant favoritism to former Continental customers [email protected].
-
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I did my calcs, and will "only" get to 934K miles towards MM. I was hoping to cross MM with the "one time generous calculation," but won't quite get there.

I have no issue with the spousal benefit. Mrs. Redbeard flies 5-10K per year on her own, and has no status unless she's with me. It will be nice for her to be able to have the Premier benefits.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
AA going into Chapter 11 is a real issue here.

If the new brass had any sense they'd be ensuring all UA/CO elites were beamingly happy right now.

AA will do ANYTHING they need to do right now to keep business rolling in. Double EQM, Double miles - the whole 9 yards. UA sure did it when they were CH11.

UA Grandfathering in all EXISTING Million Milers is a keystroke move, and will keep a lot of current high yield fliers like me very happy.

If Foland's Henchmen read this thread they will see there were a lot of unhappy Elites RIGHT NOW. Before the AA move.

The last thing they want to see, is a % of them migrate to AA.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:08 pm

thanks for the clarification wine country - I just booked a quick RT for $151 using a $100 bump coupon so I will be 1 Mil next week.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shortamile
thanks for the clarification wine country - I just booked a quick RT for $151 using a $100 bump coupon so I will be 1 Mil next week.
Then you can change your handle!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: UA3MMbis 1K, AA3˝MMbis Plat, AF1MMbis, BonvoyLTT
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
In September I wrote to Jeff Foland. I had 1,959,000 lifetime BIS miles and was expecting to end the year at 1,989,000 miles 11,000 short of 2MM.
The rest of my flying on the year was on code shares (LH). Indicated in my letter that I was very upset at the loss of a promised benefit with only a 3 month notice.

Needless to say that I was surprised that the response was == we have granted you lifetime RCC/United Club access due to your past loyalty to United.

So I guess writing to UA does have an impact.
I think I should report that the same thing has happened to me. I wrote Jeff Foland a more-in-sadness-than-anger email as someone who would finish the year very near, but under, 2MM, and got a reply that in my "unique" circumstances I would be granted "lifetime" club membership.

Don't know at what threshold UA will cut off this adjustment, or if they will do it proactively after the year-end for anyone who hasn't asked, but for those few on this thread who have posted they are in similar circumstances, they should obviously write in.

This shows UA is at least selectively taking care of some customers at the margin. Coupled with other new and old (pre-Jeff Smisek - e.g., creation of GS) policies, this does say to me that everything is being pushed toward the higher-revenue passengers - those who fly most (by a lot) and those who pay most.

In a way that's always been true in travel, going back to ships and trains (first, second, third class, etc.). But this seems apiece of many things today even in our broader politics and economy - the squeezing out of the middle class (which everyone once wanted to be called) toward the "true" elite and the back-of-the-bus.

I wish this movement by UA (granting RCC/UC to near-2MMers) suggested a change in the treatment of FFers more broadly - extending to revisions in the new policies for 1MMers and PremExec/Gold and the Silvers, but I doubt it; I think they're the 'squeezees'.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by joel67
What makes their choice seem particularly unfair, though, is the differential treatment given to Infinite Elites, who started out at the Gold level themselves and have now jumped up two levels above that.
At the time, Gold was the highest of the three levels that CO had. The number of miles required to attain that level varied over the course of the Infinite Elite program. When it started, the mileage requirement was 75k/year. One had to earn Gold for five consecutive years to qualify. Also, at the time the route structure of CO was quite a bit smaller than it is today, making earning those miles a bit more difficult. I am in N way defending anything. I'm just pointing out the fact that Gold at the time is not at all equivalent to Gold today.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
Originally Posted by GBman
I think I should report that the same thing has happened to me. I wrote Jeff Foland a more-in-sadness-than-anger email as someone who would finish the year very near, but under, 2MM, and got a reply that in my "unique" circumstances I would be granted "lifetime" club membership.
This is nice to see which I previously stated in post #1285. I'm just under 1.8MM and don't expect to be comped. In an email to Mr Foland, I offered to pay a prorated amount. In other words, recognizing I am about 88% of the way, I'd be happy to pay 12% of the lifetime membership fee. This will give UA a bump in revenue and make a long time loyal flyer a very happy camper. I did not get a reply to my email(s) dave
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by dasams
-
I did not get a reply to my email(s) dave
-
Did you send your e-mail to Jeffery Foland? If not, you should direct your message to him. He is the only one authorized to make changes to the program. He is the new chief of Mileage Plus.

Writing to Customer Service is a waste of time because they have no authority to approve something like you requested.

Good luck.
-
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Did you send your e-mail to Jeffery Foland?
-
All of my emails have been addressed to Mr Foland. dave
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by dasams

All of my emails have been addressed to Mr Foland. dave
-
When he wrote to me he claimed that he reads all his e-mails. It is entirely possible that he does not intend to ignore you and is simply overwhelmed with e-mails. I suspect you will hear something eventually.

Again, good luck.
-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.