Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:02 pm

Newbie Question

If I get the Chase Sapphire Preferred and get 50k bonus points and transferred them into my United account before the end of the year rebalancing, would that could towards the MM?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jx99
If I get the Chase Sapphire Preferred and get 50k bonus points and transferred them into my United account before the end of the year rebalancing, would that could towards the MM?
Nope. Only EQM's will count. Don't think those are EQM's
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:14 pm

With over 1,100 posts on the new UA MM program, it seems that the varied opinions expressed on this topic roughly correspond to a handful of categories based on how many lifetime miles the individual has in the program.

For the ex-Continental flyers:
  • CO with 2M+ miles = Jumping for joy: mileage bonus goes from 50% to 75% plus many more benefits
  • CO with 1M miles = Ecstatic: mileage bonus goes from 25% to 50%, plus *G
  • CO with 750-999K miles = Happy: MM status is looking a lot better
  • CO with 250-750K miles = Indifferent: status quo
  • CO with 250K miles (Infinite Elite) = Thrilled: grandfathered 1K status for life

And for the ex-United flyers:
  • UA with 2M+ miles = Indifferent: mileage bonus cut but Red Carpet Club for life grandfathered
  • UA with 1M miles = Livid: mileage bonus cut from 100% to 50%, no more annual regional upgrades
  • UA with 750-999K miles = Hopeful: recalulation could mean 1MM status without having to fly another mile on UA
  • UA with 250-750K miles = Indifferent: status quo
  • UA with 250K miles = Regretful: wishing they had flown CO instead of UA in the late 80s

Looking at it this way it becomes even more strange. Why would UA design a MM program that improves or grandfathers benefits for everyone except their ex-UA 1MM flyers?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SADDE6
With over 1,100 posts on the new UA MM program, it seems that the varied opinions expressed on this topic roughly correspond to a handful of categories based on how many lifetime miles the individual has in the program.

For the ex-Continental flyers:
  • CO with 2M+ miles = Jumping for joy: mileage bonus goes from 50% to 75% plus many more benefits
  • CO with 1M miles = Ecstatic: mileage bonus goes from 25% to 50%, plus *G
  • CO with 750-999K miles = Happy: MM status is looking a lot better
  • CO with 250-750K miles = Indifferent: status quo
  • CO with 250K miles (Infinite Elite) = Thrilled: grandfathered 1K status for life

And for the ex-United flyers:
  • UA with 2M+ miles = Indifferent: mileage bonus cut but Red Carpet Club for life grandfathered
  • UA with 1M miles = Livid: mileage bonus cut from 100% to 50%, no more annual regional upgrades
  • UA with 750-999K miles = Hopeful: recalulation could mean 1MM status without having to fly another mile on UA
  • UA with 250-750K miles = Indifferent: status quo
  • UA with 250K miles = Regretful: wishing they had flown CO instead of UA in the late 80s

Looking at it this way it becomes even more strange. Why would UA design a MM program that improves or grandfathers benefits for everyone except their ex-UA 1MM flyers?
It is not strange. CO people have taken over.

This merger benefits CO flyers much more than UA flyers.

Good analysis, though.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by kb1992
It is not strange. CO people have taken over.

This merger benefits CO flyers much more than UA flyers.

Good analysis, though.
Yep, good analysis but you nailed it too in one sentence. CO indeed have taken over.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:03 am
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
With over 1,100 posts on the new UA MM program...
Your analysis was evidently so good that all attention was focused on it, and no one noticed that you have at least 1,099 posts less than that number, what with that having been your first.

So, Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
With over 1,100 posts on the new UA MM program...
Originally Posted by xFF
Your analysis was evidently so good that all attention was focused on it, and no one noticed that you have at least 1,099 posts less than that number, what with that having been your first.

So, Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Yes indeed! ^
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not just MMs - but for any status level, the average CO flyer has either (worst case) remained on par, or gained much more than the average UA flyer in the merger.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not just MMs - but for any status level, the average CO flyer has either (worst case) remained on par, or gained much more than the average UA flyer in the merger.
They had a longer way to go to get to our level. CO elite was not as valuable as UA elite pre-merger.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
They had a longer way to go to get to our level. CO elite was not as valuable as UA elite pre-merger.
That's my point They've done quite well for themselves. UA elites, not so much.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
We clearly are not valuable. I buy approximately 3 annual RTs in int'l business on another carrier and deposit those miles in another program (where I receive 2x miles), and am better off not being now 4th in the upgrade/status/service pecking order. My RDM earnings are dumping by 50%. I'll rarely if ever get another domestic UG out of SFO. I haven't flown CO since 1985, so I am not worthy of this new regime, despite the 8 or so years in a row that I was a 1K. (Now happily a 1P MM who fortunately doesn't need to fly this airline very often anymore.)
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That's my point They've done quite well for themselves. UA elites, not so much.
And my point is that all of us have to be equal after the change, so it shouldn't surprise or anger.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by xFF
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
I appreciate this and the other posts welcoming me to FT! I've enjoyed reading many of the posts by long-time FT'ers such as yourselves over the years but never got around to joining the conversation until now.

Originally Posted by kb1992
It is not strange. CO people have taken over. This merger benefits CO flyers much more than UA flyers.
I agree it's clear that the ex-CO flyers are far better off than ex-UA flyers, but the point I found striking was how United has spared the ex-UA 3MM/4MM flyers and accommodated the ex-UA 2MM flyers (by grandfathering lifetime RCC), but has targeted the ex-UA 1MM flyers for the worst of their draconian cuts.

That's the part I thought was strange: why UA would seek to accommodate all the other groups of MM flyers except for the ex-UA 1MM flyers?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
I appreciate this and the other posts welcoming me to FT! I've enjoyed reading many of the posts by long-time FT'ers such as yourselves over the years but never got around to joining the conversation until now.

I agree it's clear that the ex-CO flyers are far better off than ex-UA flyers, but the point I found striking was how United has spared the ex-UA 3MM/4MM flyers and accommodated the ex-UA 2MM flyers (by grandfathering lifetime RCC), but has targeted the ex-UA 1MM flyers for the worst of their draconian cuts.

That's the part I thought was strange: why UA would seek to accommodate all the other groups of MM flyers except for the ex-UA 1MM flyers?
I'm jealous. Only your second post and you're mult-quoting. I STILL don't know how to do that . . .
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn

And my point is that all of us have to be equal after the change, so it shouldn't surprise or anger.
There are two critical elements that the management of a reputable company must have - integrity and credibility.

On United's official website, it was announced that after the two programs merge, the million-milers would receive benefits as they always have and another announcement said (and still says) that million milers will receive two regional upgrades at the end of every year.

Despite the above announcements that are in writing on United's official web site, United's new management, with discrimination, ignored the above language and demoted million milers.

The only way for United's new management to demonstrate integrity and credibility would be to grandfather the million milers in accordance with what United promised in writing.

United is selectively grandfathering other elements of the combined program. Why not grandfather the million-milers? It is only fair considering that the promise is in writing from United.

No, for the above addressed reasons, I disagree when you write "all of us have to be equal after the change, so it shouldn't surprise or anger."
-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.