Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Old Oct 2, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by kb1992
+1

Two additional observations:

1) 1P to spouse/SO is less valuable in 2012 since 1Ps will receive 50% reduction of RDM, and UDU will further suffer due to change of UDU priority and creation of 0Ps

2) CR-1s will be more valuable in 2012 since new upgrade priority places it above complimentary upgrades.

Thus, loss of CR-1 is real.
There has got to be an alternative, and I still think UACO will cave on this. They listened to a non-representative (in a big way in this day and age) sample. I'll bet Mr. Smizek already has had a conversation with the general counsel about this.

It should be the return of the United Club privilege.

People who are striking for a couple of upgrades to be the alternatives are selling out cheaply. They'll be gone in a flash. Most MMs have miles that could go to upgrades coming out of their ears. And the (albeit small) increased miles drawdown would be good for United, too. These are why I sound like a broken record on this.

Trouble is, the upgrades would be so easy for UACO, yet so zero-sum for MMs. Why tip the scale further, and have them say, again, "That's what youall wanted"?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Am I wrong in that only miles flown count towards MM eligibility? Many posts seem to suggest bonus miles, credit card miles, etc. are also counted.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by SFO86
Am I wrong in that only miles flown count towards MM eligibility? Many posts seem to suggest bonus miles, credit card miles, etc. are also counted.
The announcement is quite clear - there is really no ambiguity.

Originally Posted by Firewind
There has got to be an alternative, and I still think UACO will cave on this. They listened to a non-representative (in a big way in this day and age) sample. I'll bet Mr. Smizek already has had a conversation with the general counsel about this.

It should be the return of the United Club privilege.

People who are striking for a couple of upgrades to be the alternatives are selling out cheaply. They'll be gone in a flash. Most MMs have miles that could go to upgrades coming out of their ears. And the (albeit small) increased miles drawdown would be good for United, too. These are why I sound like a broken record on this.

Trouble is, the upgrades would be so easy for UACO, yet so zero-sum for MMs. Why tip the scale further, and have them say, again, "That's what youall wanted"?
Give people a choice:
Spousal benefit
2 CR1's
United Club membership

It's really not that difficult or expensive

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 2, 2011 at 9:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
I must admit that I cannot believe people are this upset over two domestic upgrades per year.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by SFO86
SFO86, the "step up in value", so to speak, is because there were DEQM promos over the years, and trips booked through the UA website on other metals will count. Mainly, it's because CO has done it differently than UA has. Welcome to this forum and this thread, on which much silly has been said (including by me).

Originally Posted by travel.flier
Give people a choice:
Spousal benefit
2 CR1's
United Club membership

It's really not that difficult or expensive
Oh, that would be so nice. Moreover, where I've commented on the relative "zero-sum" effects of upgrades vs. the United Club, it further occurs to me that the effects would be distributed across both by some people choosing one and some the other(s). Then factor in "breakage".

And, since Newnited will base its choice on the numbers, no matter what they say, I think your "It's really not that... expensive" comment is true and further reason to think they'll come back and say, "We listened to our most loyal customers! ..."

Newnited, we're on your side!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 2, 2011 at 9:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by SS255

I think that the loss is more than a fare trade-off for the spousal benefit, as long as you have a spouse or SO who is not a 1MM'er. For the rest of us, it truly is a bum deal, since we are purposely excluded from using a benefit which UA has publicly stated is a better benefit.

How can it be a better benefit if it excludes certain MM'ers?
-
Excellent points - It cannot be a better benefit just because someone at the new United said it is. Saying something does not make it so.

There is no doubt, the million milers got the shaft unless they are married or have a S/O.

If one wants to see a clear case of discrimination and disregard for loyalty, the changes effecting the million milers is a text book example.
-

Originally Posted by oenophilist

I must admit that I cannot believe people are this upset over two domestic upgrades per year.
-

If you read this entire thread, you would know that two domestic upgrades is not the only issue of our disappointment with United over the million mile changes.

There are several changes to the program which have been discussed repeatedly. When the merger was first announced, the new United hinted that there might be grandfathering, although they never said they would for sure.

Then, when the final product was announced, we million mile members were demoted. Loyalty meant nothing to the new United.

United should grandfather the million miler members who made million mile status before the frequent flyer programs merge. Many times this was hinted (but not announced) as a consequence to the merger.

United reduced all million mile benefits then gave status to married and/or those with S/Os. At the same time, those who are widowed and/or single people are given nothing for their loyalty, not even a choice of the regional upgrades. I am not certain that this discrimination would meet legal requirements.

This is clear discrimination and insulting to those who remained loyal to United over all the years it took to earn million mile status.

If there is no grandfathering, there should at least be a choice to have the formerly promised (in writing) two annual regional upgrades.

Unquestionably, the demotion and callous disregard for the million mile members creates a lack of credibility on the part of United.

United consistently was voted number one for having the best frequent flyer program of the U.S. carriers. I suspect when the next vote is taken, United will rank among the lowest in benefits and in credibility and the highest in disregard for loyalty of passengers. As a result, will lose a lot of existing passengers.

When passengers no longer trust the airline that takes away perceived promised benefits and at the same time the airline tells passengers they are getting increased benefits, when they are not, something is bound to come home to roost.
-

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 2, 2011 at 9:29 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:42 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Wish it were only two domestic upgrades/year....

This 1K/MMer will lose six confirmable domestic upgrades a year, going from ten (2 each quarter plus 2 at the beginning of the year for MMer status) to four (two at 75K and two at 100K).

(This January will be the last UA payout of CR1s for MM status).
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
If you read this entire thread, you would know that two domestic upgrades is not the only issue of our disappointment with United over the million mile changes.

There are several changes to the program which have been discussed repeatedly. When the merger was first announced, the new United hinted that there might be grandfathering, although they never said they would for sure.

Then, when the final product was announced, we million mile members were demoted. Loyalty meant nothing to the new United.

United should grandfather the million miler members who made million mile status before the frequent flyer programs merge. Many times this was hinted (but not announced) as a consequence to the merger.

United reduced all million mile benefits then gave status to married and/or those with S/Os. At the same time, those who are widowed and/or single people are given nothing for their loyalty, not even a choice of the regional upgrades. I am not certain that this discrimination would meet legal requirements.

This is clear discrimination and insulting to those who remained loyal to United over all the years it took to earn million mile status.

If there is no grandfathering, there should at least be a choice to have the formerly promised (in writing) two annual regional upgrades.

Unquestionably, the demotion and callous disregard for the million mile members creates a lack of credibility on the part of United.

United consistently was voted number one for having the best frequent flyer program of the U.S. carriers. I suspect when the next vote is taken, United will rank among the lowest in benefits and in credibility and the highest in disregard for loyalty of passengers. As a result, will lose a lot of existing passengers.

When passengers no longer trust the airline that takes away perceived promised benefits and at the same time the airline tells passengers they are getting increased benefits, when they are not, something is bound to come home to roost.
-
I get that you might be upset with the change, but there are a lot of exaggerations and inaccuracies in your post.

First, MMers are not being demoted. MMers on UA always had the middle tier status which was worth 50k per year and *G. In the new program they still have the middle tier, 50k/yr status and *G. I get that no one likes the reduced mileage bonus or the addition of the 75k tier.

In terms of the spousal benefit, PMCO had this before and they are basically retaining the benefit. Its just the result of blending the programs.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
...In terms of the spousal benefit, PMCO had this before and they are basically retaining the benefit. Its just the result of blending the programs.
Yet UA Insider chose to put quite a different spin on it when he wrote in Post 1 of this merged thread:

"[Here are the n]ew lifetime benefits...

"...Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal..."
[bolding mine]

Whom to believe - you, UA Insider, or my lying eyes?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
In terms of the spousal benefit, PMCO had this before and they are basically retaining the benefit. Its just the result of blending the programs.
I thought we are talking about existing PMUA MMers here, and the new program is unfair for some PMUA MMers.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:02 pm

I get that you might be upset with the change, but there are a lot of exaggerations and inaccuracies in your post.
There are no exaggerations or inaccuracies in my post. You simply do not understand based on what you wrote below.

First, MMers are not being demoted. MMers on UA always had the middle tier status which was worth 50k per year and *G. In the new program they still have the middle tier, 50k/yr status and *G.
Million milers do NOT have the middle tier under the new program as you just inaccurately demonstrated. They now rank under the 1K, and under the new 75M rank, which means they rank number three, not in the middle as you alleged. We now rank number two out of four ranks (ignoring GS) which means we could not possibly rank in the middle per your example.

Based on facts, how can you honestly believe that million milers were not demoted and are middle tier when they are not?

There clearly is a demotion. To say otherwise is folly. I just presented above a major flaw in your allegations. Therefore I do not understand your assessment of my post as having a lot of exaggerations and inaccuracies. In fact, inaccuracies and exaggerations are in your post.

I get that no one likes the reduced mileage bonus or the addition of the 75k tier.
Isn't that another demotion? You said we are not being demoted. If we are not, what would you call the reduction from 100% bonus to 50% bonus?

However, United said this is a preferred benefit based on a survey of members and one of the reasons for removing the regional upgrades. I was never asked for my opinion and I know of three other million milers who were not asked their opinions.

We are all widowed and have no S/O. Therefore, this "benefit" is not a benefit to us. It is a demotion considering we have no other option from which to choose and, we have lost the regional upgrades without a replaced benefit.

As to blending programs, that is lacking logic. To give million milers something of no value and taking away two other benefits that do have value, cannot logically be defined as "blending of programs."
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Oct 2, 2011 at 4:12 pm
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
Yet UA Insider chose to put quite a different spin on it when he wrote in Post 1 of this merged thread:

"[Here are the n]ew lifetime benefits...

"...Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal..."
[bolding mine]

Whom to believe - you, UA Insider, or my lying eyes?
It is still a blending of programs per my comment above. Some things from one program, some from another.

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I thought we are talking about existing PMUA MMers here, and the new program is unfair for some PMUA MMers.
This thread is in the new UA forum.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler

This thread is in the new UA forum.
I know. You replied to dgcpaphd who is talking about PMUA MMers. That's what I meant.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:27 pm

There are no exaggerations or inaccuracies in my post. You simply do not understand based on what you wrote below.

Million milers do NOT have the middle tier under the new program as you just inaccurately demonstrated. They now rank under the 1K, and under the new 75M rank, which means they rank number three, not in the middle as you alleged. We now rank number two out of four ranks (ignoring GS) which means we could not possibly rank in the middle per your example.

Based on facts, how can you honestly believe that million milers were not demoted and are middle tier when they are not?

There clearly is a demotion. To say otherwise is folly. I just presented above a major flaw in your allegations. Therefore I do not understand your assessment of my post as having a lot of exaggerations and inaccuracies. In fact, inaccuracies and exaggerations are in your post.

Isn't that another demotion? You said we are not being demoted. If we are not, what would you call the reduction from 100% bonus to 50% bonus?

However, United said this is a preferred benefit based on a survey of members and one of the reasons for removing the regional upgrades. I was never asked for my opinion and I know of three other million milers who were not asked their opinions.

We are all widowed and have no S/O. Therefore, this "benefit" is not a benefit to us. It is a demotion considering we have no other option from which to choose and, we have lost the regional upgrades without a replaced benefit.

As to blending programs, that is lacking logic. To give million milers something of no value and taking away two other benefits that do have value, cannot logically be defined as "blending of programs."
-
I stand by everything I posted. UA has kept you at the 50k mile a year status. You can debate middle all you want, but this isn't a demotion. *G for life is plenty generous. The only real demotion is the reduction in miles bonus to 50% (btw- my original post referenced the reduction in bonus miles in case you missed it). If anyone thought UA was going to make 1MM into Platinum status, then they were just way too optimistic. There was never a chance of that happening.

As far as the spousal benefit, some people win some people lose. Maybe you'll get lucky and UA will relent, but this is the nature of the merger. Again, I just don't know how people didn't expect some positive, some negative out of the merger. This was bound to happen.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
PMUA never promised you "tier below 1K" for life, they promised you "Premier Executive" for life, so now you get (devalued) Premier Gold. PMCO promised the Infinite Elites that they'd be top tier for life, and now they get 1K for life.

The thing I don't understand is why you consider this an insult. I fly UA because there's a value proposition in it for me. I'm selfishly looking out for myself here, and there are short-term benefits and long-term benefits. However, like anything in life, in the long-term, circumstances change. Airlines go out of business, or merge, jobs come and go, nothing is set in stone. Expecting that benefits will never change is a bit naive. Ask anyone that bought a lifetime membership in the TWA club. It sucks that your benefits have been devalued, and I am for sure unhappy that when I someday reach 1MM, the perks won't be as generous. It changes the value proposition of continuing to fly on UA (only slightly negatively in my personal case, but sounds like pretty dramatically negatively in your case).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.