Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 1, 18, 8:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: cyborg
Wiki Link
deleted
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Oct 1, 11, 9:33 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post

Therefore, grandfathering the million miler members who earned their status before the merger of the two plans would be the right thing to do under the inequities presented by the new United.
Just so. In addition, Prem Execs have long been able to take a companion through the elite security line, into E+, etc. IMO it seems likely that any spouse or "significant other" who flies frequently enough independently to make good use of this honorary designated membership is quite likely to fly enough to earn his or her own status.

Originally Posted by joel67 View Post
Both problems could be fixed by simply grandfathering the annual instruments for all existing UA 1MM, 3MM, etc. members...
As I wrote, I would be satisfied even with some semblance of choice. UA Insider's claim, "this spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal..." is frankly ridiculous. No, I don't agree at all.
Old Oct 1, 11, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
On that note, I had a UA CC from 2001-2005 and don't remember if they had an EQM option.

Was there ever such a credit card with UA? I'm trying to figure out if I will get any sort of bonus come next year
Old Oct 1, 11, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
What, if anything, were you asked?

I recently wrote UA explaining that the spousal/significant other option does not benefit me and I would prefer the upgrades. Could they simply give the customer the choice?

In reply I was told United had "a lot of feedback" favoring the status match.

We evaluated the MileagePlus(R) and OnePass(R) lifetime recognition programs based on a lot of feedback from members who had already reached one million miles and more. These members made it clear that program status was what mattered most and being able to extend that status to a spouse or significant other was almost as important.

The upgrades benefit that is currently part of the MileagePlus Million Mile Flyer program was there as a way to provide these members an option to sit in the upper cabin if their program status wasn't at a level where they could earn upgrades. Because we now have Complimentary Premier Upgrades (formerly Unlimited Domestic Upgrades), and generous lifetime status, all Million Mile Flyers have the opportunity to upgrade.

[Employee name deleted by Moderator per FT Rules.]
United Airlines Customer Care
I am now curious if any MM FTers were asked their preference and if the status match option specifically included the fact that upgrades would no longer be available. And was it explained that the ranking of MMers would put them near the bottom of the upgrade list for CPUs?

Was there a poll, or meeting, or some sort of contact where you were asked your preferences?

Data can be gathered in a way to favor the gatherer's preference as can analysis of data and, of course, the explanation of those results by the merchandising office. So I'm curious what the basis for the decision was.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 1, 11 at 4:41 pm Reason: Please see above explanation.
Old Oct 1, 11, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
Just so. In addition, Prem Execs have long been able to take a companion through the elite security line, into E+, etc. IMO it seems likely that any spouse or "significant other" who flies frequently enough independently to make good use of this honorary designated membership is quite likely to fly enough to earn his or her own status.

As I wrote, I would be satisfied even with some semblance of choice. UA Insider's claim, "this spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal..." is frankly ridiculous. No, I don't agree at all.
Fredd - I am in complete agreement with you.
Old Oct 1, 11, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Look, the change in benefits is simple a reduction in value to the customer and a reduction in cost/cost benefit to UACO. Now, most 1MM (who are now still *g or 1P) WILL use their miles, thus reducing UA liabilities to upgrade to higher class of service. It would appear that to USE MILES would put them AHEAD of most other upgrade instruments, and certainly ahead of UDU even for 0P. THAT is what the airline is working for, lowering liabilities or increasing revs. I think that the majority of 1MM flyers are going to be 1+1 normally and thus the 2nd passenger IS accustomed to the same seating, boarding priority, baggage allotment, etc., But now, they will simply get the SAME and yet the COUPLE will have to pay more to maintain their level of expectation for upgrades, upgrade priority, etc. .

this is certainly a win for the bean counters, not a win really for the flyer.
Old Oct 1, 11, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
Fredd - I am in complete agreement with you.
I've felt from the outset that highlighting as an enhancement this significant other benefit was ill-thought-out by UA. The unintended consequence is that UA is discriminating against "single" flyers not claiming a spousal-type significant other, and discriminating doubly against those of us who fly in pairs.

Furthermore, one common definition of significant other includes any person who is important to an individual's well-being. Does UA management really want to be reduced to having to argue that its own limiting definition supersedes this?

That's why I'm hoping UA does the right thing and quickly amends this policy to one that is inclusive rather than discriminatory by including, at the least, some meaningful choices for Million Mile Flyers.
Old Oct 1, 11, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold/1MM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nor4 View Post
In reply I was told United had "a lot of feedback" favoring the status match.

Was there a poll, or meeting, or some sort of contact where you were asked your preferences?

"We evaluated the MileagePlus(R) and OnePass(R) lifetime recognition programs based on a lot of feedback from members who had already reached one million miles and more. These members made it clear that program status was what mattered most and being able to extend that status to a spouse or significant other was almost as important."
I got exact the same reply from 1K Voice the other day
Old Oct 1, 11, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Please don't blame me for the results, but I do believe that I did participate in such a survey and I did rate the spousal benefit higher than the annual upgrade awards. I travel a lot on business, while my wife travels only enough by herself to appreciate status, but not enough to earn it. Even when we travel together, especially with our children, two 1Ks have better upgrade and flight-change prospects than one.

The other thing on my mind at the time was that CR1s did not seem especially useful anymore. More often than not, my upgrades weren't clearing before the UDU window, so I'd remove the instruments and let UDU take its course. (They hadn't yet announced the upcoming change in priority for instruments.) Obviously many others will have different priorities, but it's not inconceivable that the majority really do prefer the spousal benefit.
Old Oct 1, 11, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
With all due respect, you are not correctly interpreting the dictionary definition of "grandfathering." Therefore, your cited example is inaccurate.

Let me present a dictionary definition and example of using the word from the same dictionary:

"grand·fa·thered, grand·fa·ther·ing, grand·fa·thers

To exempt (one involved in an activity or business) from new regulations: The new ordinance restricts the size of billboards, but it grandfathers those erected before 1997."

Therefore, grandfathering the million miler members who earned their status before the merger of the two plans would be the right thing to do under the inequities presented by the new United.
Perhaps you need to reread what I wrte. If you were given lifetime 50k status in the pre-2012 program there is no reason to expect to receive 75k status in the 2012 program. It's as simple as that. The discussion about the SO benefit and fewer bonus miles represent legitimate complaints about actual changes. This one does nt.
Old Oct 1, 11, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Please don't blame me for the results, but I do believe that I did participate in such a survey and I did rate the spousal benefit higher than the annual upgrade awards. I travel a lot on business, while my wife travels only enough by herself to appreciate status, but not enough to earn it. Even when we travel together, especially with our children, two 1Ks have better upgrade and flight-change prospects than one.

The other thing on my mind at the time was that CR1s did not seem especially useful anymore. More often than not, my upgrades weren't clearing before the UDU window, so I'd remove the instruments and let UDU take its course. (They hadn't yet announced the upcoming change in priority for instruments.) Obviously many others will have different priorities, but it's not inconceivable that the majority really do prefer the spousal benefit.
I agree on the CR1's no longer being as important as in the past.

Also, if you and your spouse/SO both have status (in my case 1K) then you upgrade a total of four people using the CPU system, each of the 1Ks plus one additional passenger with each. We have actually done this on a couple occasions when traveling to Mexico on vacation with friends. On flights to Mexico (from Houston at least) there aren't too many high level Elite's, so it's is a pretty easy upgrade.
Old Oct 1, 11, 9:18 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post

Perhaps you need to reread what I wrte. If you were given lifetime 50k status in the pre-2012 program there is no reason to expect to receive 75k status in the 2012 program. It's as simple as that. The discussion about the SO benefit and fewer bonus miles represent legitimate complaints about actual changes. This one does nt.
Again,with all due respect, you missed the point of my post and the definition of grandfathering.

Your comments would be appropriate if the subject matter was not grandfathering but that is the subject.

There is no need to read your post again. It says essentially the same thing it did before I presented the dictionary definition.

I recommend you go back and read what I presented from the dictionary in connection with grandfathering. You will readily determine that we are talking solely about grandfathering the pre million milers. Not the other issues you mentioned.
-
Old Oct 1, 11, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat Prem, Hilton Silver. CLEAR
By the way, anyone remember when Premier Executive was the pinnacle of elite status? IIRC we got a 125% bonus back then and stacks of upgrade coupons that I never ran out of. Of course, you did need 75k miles per year to qualify.
It was sometime before ~ 1991 (+/- 1 year) when 1K was created. But PE was 50K miles, not 75K. It was all BIS for qualificatin, there was no EQM at that time.

Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
It would appear that to USE MILES would put them AHEAD of most other upgrade instruments,
That was a part of the rumor but it is not confirmed in the official announcement. Therefore I would assume this aspect remains unchanged from the existing system, that is Miles UG and Cert UG are treated equally.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 2, 11 at 9:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 1, 11, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT View Post
That was a part of the rumor but it is not confirmed in the official announcement. Therefore I would assume this aspect remains unchanged from the existing system, that is Miles UG and Cert UG are treated equally.
When you assume...
Old Oct 1, 11, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat Prem, Hilton Silver. CLEAR
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
Actually I have more reasons to assume. An UA employee who I have known for years told me that miles upgrades and cash upsells should not trump cert UGs. This was the same guy who told me in August that some of the shorter intra-Asia flights will have the same unlimited UGs as the UDU for elites. I did not believe him then but now I know he was right. However, it was not official and I did not want to quote a rumor in my post.
Old Oct 1, 11, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT View Post
An UA employee who I have known for years told me that miles upgrades and cash upsells should not trump cert UGs...
We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Search this Thread