Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 1, 18, 8:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: cyborg
Wiki Link
deleted
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Sep 21, 11, 9:50 am

Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
I have to say, I think this program is going to be just a bit too generous. If I read it right, the moment anyone hits 1MM, they can then transfer their annual status (e.g., 1K) to their spouse. Then both the flyer and their spouse get one companion that clears alongside them at their window. So that means my family of four will be upgraded as four 1Ks based entirely on my status!?

While I clearly am not going to complain, this can't possibly be good for the folks further down the pecking order. (And that means me as there are surely many a GS in the same boat.)

Key takeaway: everybody who isn't already at 1MM should sprint to that line so they can transfer their status.

IMHO, they should limit the status you can transfer to your spouse/so based upon your lifetime status, not your annual status.
Old Sep 21, 11, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold (Thanks, RewardsPlus!)
"Spouse" Benefits and the EQM-Up

It may just be my reading, but I think I took different messages from the "Spouse" benefits and the one-time UA lifetime boost than everyone else did.

For the "Spouse" benefits, I read it as that each year you could designate your co-beneficiary. I plan to designate my girlfriend if I make it next year (which seems more likely with the UA boost). However, it didn't sound to me like you pick someone once and are then stuck. This would make it more like the old "nominate someone to Premier" thing that UA did a few years back for people in the Elite bonus program, only you get to do it every year.

For the one-time boost, I didn't necessarily read it as UA going back and recalculating all of your old EQMs from *A, credit cards, etc. I read it as using a multiplier or possibly just a set block of EQMs multiplied by the number of years you've been in M+. My reading of "generous" (in a non-ironic sense) was that they would find some strategy that would make all but the most non-BIS-qualifying people happy and would give a lot of us who've flown a lot of UA metal over the years a pretty sizeable chunk of lifetime miles. Of course, that could be the fact that I'm now just really hoping that my 710K lifetime UA BIS miles (743K by the end of the year) puts me over the top next year for lifetime PG.
Old Sep 21, 11, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
IMHO, they should limit the status you can transfer to your spouse/so based upon your lifetime status, not your annual status.
Read the excerpt from the website I posted above. The SO transfer is lifetime, not annual.

joe
Old Sep 21, 11, 9:58 am

Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Read the excerpt from the website I posted above. The SO transfer is lifetime, not annual.

joe
I'm going on what Scott said as repeated in the first post of this thread:

Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
  • Lifetime premier benefits for 1 million miles = Premier Gold, 2 million = Premier Platinum, 3 million = Premier 1K, 4 million = Global Services
  • Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier).
They key part being the parenthetical.
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:01 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum (missing Fairmont!), National Exec Elite
CO MMers just got a windfall, good for them.
1) UA fliers are happy because they are getting the EQM adjustment
2) CO fliers are happy because MM is now Gold instead of Silver

Well done all around!
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HNLescapee View Post
However, it didn't sound to me like you pick someone once and are then stuck.
I believe it will work the way it worked under the CO MM program. You designate someone and unless you call in to change that designation it sticks into perpetuity. Any changes will only take place at the end of the then-current elite year.
For the one-time boost, I didn't necessarily read it as UA going back and recalculating all of your old EQMs from *A, credit cards, etc. I read it as using a multiplier or possibly just a set block of EQMs multiplied by the number of years you've been in M+.
They are ging to calculate the bump up based on your actual historic EQM totals vs. the actual UA metal BIS miles already credited. They have all of the data necessary to do this.
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:05 am
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
Slightly confused on this. I think lifetime UA members (without a lot of *A miles) get shafted by this if I read it correctly as they did BIS vs CO. SO lets assume you have 1.3mm BIS with UA, are you lifetime gold or plat? If gold then you have just gotten a big down grade. If 75K level plat then its a wash.

Can anybody add any insight?
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
...I'm willing to bet that a very substantial percentage of your MMs will NOT be happy at losing the upgrade gifts, and adding this kind of unfair treatment for us singles really is a complete outrage.

Having been a member of MP since 1981 and finally approaching MM status only to be slapped in the face.....
What, as one finally about to get 1MM, do you NOT get as a single MMer that you would have under the old program? Nothing I can see.

Originally Posted by bmvaughn View Post
CO MMers just got a windfall, good for them.
1) UA fliers are happy because they are getting the EQM adjustment
2) CO fliers are happy because MM is now Gold instead of Silver

Well done all around!
I believe that the changes are a windfall for both UA and CO MMers, not just one half.
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:07 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
I'm at 1,321,000 lifetime on UA. I doubt the one-time will bring me even up to 1.4 million.

So not much will change for me.

Big question for me: I see that the status spouse match does not include upgrade certs.

Does the 3mm 1k status for life for the person who earned it come with annual GPUs?

All in all, I'd rather have the regionals on the old system than this 'generosity.'

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
What, as one finally about to get 1MM, do you NOT get as a single MMer that you would have under the old program? Nothing I can see.

Your MM threshold bonus GPUs (formerly SWUs).

Also Two (2) Regional Upgrades at the end of every year

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 11 at 2:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jss View Post
Slightly confused on this. I think lifetime UA members (without a lot of *A miles) get shafted by this if I read it correctly as they did BIS vs CO. SO lets assume you have 1.3mm BIS with UA, are you lifetime gold or plat? If gold then you have just gotten a big down grade. If 75K level plat then its a wash.

Can anybody add any insight?
I don't think there's any way to know until the actual adjustment is done (or they publish the exact formula). They'll be at least PG, and maybe PP.

joe
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:11 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
I don't think there's any way to know until the actual adjustment is done (or they publish the exact formula). They'll be at least PG, and maybe PP.

joe
Hm. Now that I think about it, under the current system I am Plat for life. Under this new system I will be Gold for life.

Seems like a downgrade to me...
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:11 am
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)

joe
Looking at UA's website:

"One-time recalibration and combination of lifetime balances.

Currently, MileagePlus and OnePass® track lifetime activity differently: MileagePlus counts only base EQM (actual flight miles on United and United Express), while OnePass counts both base EQM and bonus EQM (those earned on partner airlines, or through promotions or credit cards).

To bring everyone to the same starting point, on December 31, 2011, we will recalculate MileagePlus lifetime miles balances to include both base EQM and bonus EQM. This means the lifetime miles balance will either increase or remain the same.

Then, for all members who have both a MileagePlus and OnePass account, we'll combine the lifetime miles balances to arrive at a new MileagePlus lifetime miles balance, which will be carried forward into the 2012 program.

The OnePass and MileagePlus lifetime balances will continue to display separately until late in first quarter 2012."

How could one ever figure out where they land on this? How can you possibly know where you had promos, CC eqm's, etc... earned 5,6 7 years ago?
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Is my reading right?
-- 3 SWUs for passing a MM milestone is gone
-- annual 2 CR1s for being a MM are gone
-- 2MM RCC for life is gone

but "significant other" companion benefit is added to all levels

future earning is BIS, past earning will be EQM (which UA does have -- Data Purge)

For my situations, I think I can live with this change but is is some plus some minus -- but given the need to blend the two different systems, seems OK
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:14 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: SPG Plat,DL Silver,UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list,AA Gold,HH Gold,MR LT PLAT PREMIER
credit card usage

I am correct in thinking it may be time to start using CO and UA credit cards heavily to boost to the next MM level?
Old Sep 21, 11, 10:19 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum (missing Fairmont!), National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Is my reading right?
-- 3 SWUs for passing a MM milestone is gone
-- annual 2 CR1s for being a MM are gone
-- 2MM RCC for life is gone

but "significant other" companion benefit is added to all levels

future earning is BIS, past earning will be EQM (which UA does have -- Data Purge)

For my situations, I think I can live with this change but is is some plus some minus -- but given the need to blend the two different systems, seems OK
I do not see future earning to be BIS, but rather flight miles... essentially EQM from flying *A not including COS or promotional EQM.

Originally Posted by freeflyin View Post
I am correct in thinking it may be time to start using CO and UA credit cards heavily to boost to the next MM level?
Correct!

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: