Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Do miles transferred from AMEX MR to CO count towards MM qualification

I have read and searched all the threads and cannot figure out

If I transfer miles from American Express ( before 9/30) - do they count towards the "new" MM qualification

Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
DL is still holding the line on the original MM program

Originally Posted by cranford
in the dark days, a lot of employees lost their pensions in numerous companies, and the dark days are here again...beggars can't be choosers, despite what some european citizens hope for... dead lucky the whole thing hasnt gone down the plughole of life.
personally i think they've done extremely well to sort it out...now we just have to hope the whole thing wasnt a pipe dream, like the welfare state, or universal health care
1) No. These were "earned" in the good old capitalist way. Per the quid pro quo terms set forth by United. (And yes, with the provision that they could be changed at anytime.) But these were not the welfare state. They were a competitive value proposition. For an accurate read of the historical facts, United backed into this after Delta initiated it. So far DL has held. (NB: DL also initiated the 500-mile minimum earn. When United eliminated it, DL held. UA reinstated it.) Now, on a value proposition like the MM program, the substitution component of elasticity of demand is extremely low. But still, it remains essentially a value proposition.

2) The irony of the quoted comment is palpable. Even as the employees were lured into the "EPO" in lieu of pension (an early model for an all-401K "pension" all in the same company's stock) and some wages and in return for give-backs, the stock value was then drained (good thing they didn't rob it) by Mr. Tilton and his team -- who then received grand golden parachutes by a board of other CEOs similarly situated (good thing it wasn't a union or some other united - small "u" - group such as customers). All of this sanctioned by capitalism, albeit some of its lesser aspects.

3) Rants aside, they have done a pretty good job with "sorting it out" (a broad, comfortable characterization of their gambit). But there are some hairier aspects, which are never more sorted out than by informed FlyerTalkers who are on this side of the counter.

DL held the line on its MM status program through its acquisition of NW, and is still holding.
Many pressed the similar point during the 500-mile push-back.

Back to regularly scheduled programming...

[Another NB: Cards on the table, I like some Europeans. As Mark Twain said...]
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:05 pm

Miles transfer will only increase your redeemable miles balance. It will not increment your elite qualifying miles, so it will not count for the transition to the new MM qualification.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ryman554

HOWEVER, taken literally at face value, it is not an unreasonable conclusion that lifetime PPs/1Ks get their RPUs/GPUs as per their minimum status level, especially when you include Scott's cryptic "partner" benefit list.
Taken at face value, a bag of horse excrement contains a pony.

Originally Posted by roberto99
  • Current CO lifetime miles: 50,000
  • Current UA lifetime BIS: 1,250,000
  • Current UA total reward miles earned from beginning of MP: ESTIMATED to be 2,200,000
  • Total miles earned from hotels, rental cars, and credit cards: ESTIMATED 100,000

In the above case study, will UA's math be: 2,200,000 + 50,000 = 2,250,000 miles and award lifetime Platinum ststus?
If the 2,200,000 miles are RDMs, then that will not be UA's math.

If the 2,200,000 miles are EQMs, then that will be UA's math.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
If UA wants to have an over the top marketing PR bonanza they should let us know where we are now for the bump. You know UA has an idea already. That would really get people thinking and flying...
I've pressed this point on both of these threads -- a win-win. And no more promos needed through the end of 2011, if they press the point. Your comment prompts this additional thought: If UACO doesn't get to this soon, it will need an even larger cleanup team going forward, when many, many MP members contest their totals. (Though it was reported above that requests for MP data purges now are being honored only going back to 2009 without a court order. Though it hasn't been reported if the FT "rinse, repeat" maxim re calling was followed to improved effect.)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
No, we do NOT "absolutely" know. The website, which I consider the official "word" only refers to "both base EQM and bonus EQM." DEQM and TEQM are not specifically mentioned and could be considered promotional EQM and not "bonus" EQM.
Pretty sure any CO DEQM miles counted as real EQM for them (and thus lifetime miles) - if I'm incorrect, someone please let me know.

NOT counting D/TEQM then would not quite equalize the programs. That's what's most important.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
While I understand the switch to BIS (although a lot of my lifetime EQM is from Skyteam partners from flying to BOM), I am disappointed that the TATL JV flights on LH and AC are not being counted as well. These are supposed to be metal neutral flights and United will be getting an equal share of revenue and costs from them...there's no reason they can't be counted.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
[QUOTE=LAXOGG;17175915]My MP History Dump shows a 50% Fare class bonus for a FC trip that I took in 1986 on AF.

Sorry for my ignorance, but is it possible to do a mileage 'history dump' via the UA Mileage Plus website? Trying to see were I might land by combining my current 1.7M on UA with the other airline miles and miles that didn't count originally. Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PSGlenn
Sorry for my ignorance, but is it possible to do a mileage 'history dump' via the UA Mileage Plus website? ...
no, you need to call MP Customer Support and request a Data Purge. I would not be surprised if UA starts pushing back on these requests due to the effort but that is the only way. It is a manual operation.

You can get 2010 and 2011 data on line but not 2009 or earlier.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hould-get.html

It would be in UA best interest to post the adjusted Lifetime number soon or there will be a deluge of request for data.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by ryman554
And I conclude slightly differently.

The reason: if you look at the "upgrade benefits" chart on united.com, it states that PPs get RPUs/CR1 and 1Ks get GPUs/SWU as a benefit. Full stop.

Now, we all know that PPs get them because of flying 75K in a year, and 1k's get them because of flying 100k in a year, as that's when they are now deposited.

HOWEVER, taken literally at face value, it is not an unreasonable conclusion that lifetime PPs/1Ks get their RPUs/GPUs as per their minimum status level, especially when you include Scott's cryptic "partner" benefit list.

At the very least, we need to hear straight from MP to be sure.
+1
If you don't get the UG instruments, there is very little value in going from 2MM PP to 3MM P1K.

And since the number of 3MM flyers is miniscule, UA would get a PR benefit at very little cost by giving GPUs to 3MM 1K customers.

Does anyone disagree that you should get MM credit for award tickets on UA metal?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by 5khours
Does anyone disagree that you should get MM credit for award tickets on UA metal?
Why would you accrue mileage for an award trip on any metal?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Ohhh, that would be sweet, but I've only gotten credit for those rarely and a long time ago, when an agent either goofed, or "goofed", and when computers were primitive by today's standards. Even back before they broke out EQMs and RDMs.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Why would you accrue mileage for an award trip on any metal?
Because it is often better for UA from a revenue point of view.

E.g - If I UG a $1600 W fare instead of buying a $6000 C fare, the revenue hit to UA is $4400. If I get an economy award ticket for the same miles instead of buying a a cheap economy fare, the revenue hit to UA is maybe a $1000. If I was UA I would try to have a policy which incentivizes my customers to do what is best for my revenue/income.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
No, we do NOT "absolutely" know. The website, which I consider the official "word" only refers to "both base EQM and bonus EQM." DEQM and TEQM are not specifically mentioned and could be considered promotional EQM and not "bonus" EQM.
Yes we do absolutely know.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Yes, as219, the one-time adjustment on the UA side will include all elite qualification earnings dating back to the beginning of the Mileage Plus program, including partners, fare class bonuses, double/triple/octuple EQM promotions, and bonus EQMs from credit cards.
I was wrong when I said "read this thread" since it was in the larger thread, but you get the point I hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.